No pickup trucks in the UK

Roads are generally better due to less freeze thaw, but this year may be different. An open truck is less popular because there is a lot of rain. Uncovered things you are hauling tend to get wet!

And yes, agree, efficiency gets more attention. Have you seen the cost of gasoline (petrol) in the UK?

Nothing like we see in the 1/2 ton sized market, but these all have similar payload ratings to our 1/2 tons and can often tow up to 7500lbs.

Edit: looks like the toyota has a 3.5ton(uk) tow rating. That's 7850lbs.

I think the heritage of pickups in America is that as a nation we urbanized much later than Europe, and when we did the suburbs quickly became a thing rather than people cramming into condo's or flats. So great grandad drove a pickup on the farm, and when grandad moved to the suburbs he took the old pickup, then bought another, and so your dad also drove a pickup which you grew up riding in, so now you drive one too.
Yeah my parents really aren't even truck people, I remember my dad saying having two pickups was entirely unnecessary when I was living at home and my mom and I both had Rangers, but they have pretty much constantly owned one for close to 50 years. First was a Datsun and it has been all Rangers after that. As much as my dad would say "too many trucks" I'd wake up on a Saturday and my manual Ranger would be gone because he liked taking that one to Home Depot.

In London for about 2 weeks late last summer and I saw quite a few Ford Rangers, contractors most likely as they all had signs on the doors of the vehicles on the roads. Going to Dover one day and saw some Dodge Rams also. I remember mentioning to the wife that the Rams were pretty big to be over here as opposed to the Rangers but they are out there. Did not see any FS Chevies or Fords.

Took a cruise out of Dover to Leharve France and the road from the port(Le Harve) to the town was littered with Truck dealers pushing Rangers and Rams and of course the usual VW Audi etc etc

AS you stated--the roads are very well maintained.

Last edited:
I borrowed my (retired) Dad's 2018 F150 last year to haul our camper for a family vacation. 5.0 Coyote and a 10 speed auto. Getting better mileage than our 2010 Honda CR-V.....

And everyone thinks small 'utes' are sooooo efficient.

We’ve parted with our camper. :(. We just haven’t been using it much. I realize the practical thing at some point will be to drive some sort of SUV, or sedan with some kind of towing capacity, and buy a trailer instead for all the projects. But nothing is pressing. I already drive a sedan about half the time as a DD, and this is a huge yukon/expedition/half-ton town, and the chances of being “pushed around” in traffic are less when driving the truck. No changes planned for now… every auto transaction is a money-losing deal. I enjoy the f150 and will keep using it. Cheaper to keep it, the mpg isn’t that bad at ~21 mpg.

Hi.
Pickup trucks are a common sight in uk. Smaller than the American ones though. Toyota Hilux, Nissan Navara, Mitsubishi L200, Ford Ranger, Isuzu Dmax to name but a few. I think Nissan and Mitsubishi have now pulled out of UK market though. New ones tend to use smaller diesel engines like 2.0 litre, but with twin turbo.

Farmers like them, as do small business tradesman like a plumber or decorator. They have tax advantages like a van, but have a set of rear seats so they can double up as family transport.

Also popular with the fishing, hunting and shooting guys. Can throw the deer in the back without getting ticks or keds down your neck.

their main market was replacing rusted out and/or stolen land rover 109s and 110s. for farmers and other people who need a diesel powered multi purpose vehicle…

Last edited:
if big is good, bigger is better and biggest is best. You can't really find cars that are as big as pick ups so......

In the 60's & 70's full size American sedans were pretty big, Working a 1965 Cadillac Coupe Deville at the shop.....While it doesn't have the height of a modern pick-up....It rivals or surpasses most in every other dimension.

Here is a typical 1990's F150 commercial. Towing a horse trailer, splashing through the mud, building a house, pretty girl. All the things people dreamed of while driving to their miserable cubicle job in the city.

Maybe the dreamer should try taking a dump in the average construction site portable toilet. That cubicle life will probably start to look much more appealing afterwards.

Lots of things to consider. Fuel is expensive in the UK, some of our roads are narrow, our vehicles are RHD, a flatbed Transit will be better at lugging loads than a 'pick-up', a normal driving licence will only allow you to drive a vehicle up to 3.5t in weight.

Lots of Ford Rangers, VW Amoraks and other similarly sized pick-ups around. But anything bigger people purchase a Transit flatbed or similar.

In the 60's & 70's full size American sedans were pretty big, Working a 1965 Cadillac Coupe Deville at the shop.....While it doesn't have the height of a modern pick-up....It rivals or surpasses most in every other dimension.

Yes but as you say, not the height, and it's not new either which seems another important consideration

Not really... the 1.2L L4 brought them from their residence to the airport, the 5.7L V8 from the airport to the residence. They did basically the same job....

Best thing I’ve read all day. Still not gonna trade the Yukon in on a Spark.

My dad has always driven vans, we never had a pickup growing up, cube vans and mini-vans is all my dad drove. Mostly due to the fact that we owned a grocery store and he used it for picking up inventory and supplies. Last year he bought his first pickup, he's 79 years old and he's already tried selling it. I too prefer vans over pickups, to me, they're more versatile. I guess it all depends on what your needs are.

I too prefer vans over pickups, to me, they're more versatile. I guess it all depends on what your needs are.
Or what your wants are. I would venture to say wants have more to do trucks than needs for most people. Even if there is a “need” to tow, it is likely towing a want item. The majority of the things people tow are recreational use only (camper, boat, ATV, etc.) So the truck would still fit in the want category.

They prefer vans like Ford Transit, likely due to the weather. But there are pickup trucks - remember the Top Gear series about destroying a Toyota Hilux truck?

Back