Upgrading from Oculus Go to Meta Quest2, prep work and any recommendation?

This question is probably only for those of us who are into VR, not sure how many of them are on BITOG but anyways.

Had my Oculus Go for 5 years and I think it was the best $120 I have ever spent. No I don't really play games with it but I have been using it as a personal projector for web browsing and movie watching while lying down, as well as some 3D / VR180 movies. It serves its purpose very well and I could use it forever like this. The software / OS support on it ended 2 years ago so eventually I will have to upgrade like all things in life. It does overheat if I watch VR180 movies in the summer, it was the technology limitation back then for the cost I paid, it was only $120, not $1200.

Upgrading to a Quest2 soon since I got a deal on it (missed the $149 deal but I got a $189 one a few days ago). Likely same usage but with improved screen resolution, more modern software they are still supporting, 6 DoF instead of 3, 2 controllers so I think it support more games instead of just rotation ones. The storage also go up from 32GB to 128GB so I can actually put more movies on it.

About wifi: I think between my wifi5 (TP Link Archer C9) router to me on go has about 512mbps, 2x2 5GHz 80MHz channel with walls in between slowing things down. I read that Quest2 has a 1200mbps theoretical max limit, 2x2 GHz 80MHz channel, so I likely will also still get 512mbps in practice. It should be enough between my PC (SMB media server) and my Quest2. The video I watch is currently about 4096x4096x30Hz on Go, and it has really reached its hardware limit. The newer videos would likely 8K, so power of 0.75 rules mean 48mbps, still significantly lower than the 512mbps I have.

Has anyone tried 8K video streaming from PC to Quest2/3 on wifi? Any limitation forces you to upgrade the router or your media server?

I'd go straight to the quest 3
The lens upgrade is incredible.
its way more important than you would think from the specs.

Pancake lenses vs Fresnel

as far as streaming it really depends on the format of the video.
I've had stuttering with 30GB videos and streamed 100GB+ fine.
using a DLNA server windows 11. (quest 2)

Last edited:
Quest 3 is $500. I got my Quest 2 for $190 last week, and my Go for $130 5 years ago.

Would I love to have everything better? Sure, but since Quest2 uses the same lenses as Go and I want to upgrade from Go mainly due to 1) overheating in Skybox VR, 2) resolution limit, 3) browser support ending. I think spending $190 now and upgrade in a few years to a newer headset (i.e. Quest 4) instead of getting Quest 3 now makes more sense.

Back