No pickup trucks in the UK

When I was over there in 2015 i only ever saw a Ford ranger tow truck which was funny as anything below 3/4 ton is useless over here.

When I was over there in 2015 i only ever saw a Ford ranger tow truck which was funny as anything below 3/4 ton is useless over here.
We think it’s useless. My great grandfather ran a farm with a 1955 Chevy short bed 2 wheel drive truck with a sparse interior and a straight 6 engine.

Now the average farm KID has a 3/4 that rolls coal and is lifted with rubber and tires.

It’s about showing who’s who, not what you need.

UK farms are smaller and use more specialized equipment rather than useless 3/4 ton pickups.

A 10k acre farm in the US still doesn’t need to daily drive a 3/4 ton either. They chose to.

We think it’s useless. My great grandfather ran a farm with a 1955 Chevy short bed 2 wheel drive truck with a sparse interior and a straight 6 engine.

Now the average farm KID has a 3/4 that rolls coal and is lifted with rubber and tires.

It’s about showing who’s who, not what you need.

UK farms are smaller and use more specialized equipment rather than useless 3/4 ton pickups.

A 10k acre farm in the US still doesn’t need to daily drive a 3/4 ton either. They chose to.
Or perhaps a Ford Ranger is useless as a tow truck in America because just about everything is as large and heavy if not larger and heavier than it. I don't know where I said i didn't believe a Ford Ranger would be insufficient for farm work. I literally owned a 2000 Ford Ranger 2.5 4cyl AT 2wd and own a small farm. I used to use that thing to haul fence posts and planks to built my own fence and to haul a trailer with cut up tree trunks and limbs. But that doesn't mean it would be a good tow truck. It would be useless as a tow truck over here.

Or perhaps a Ford Ranger is useless as a tow truck in America because just about everything is as large and heavy if not larger and heavier than it. I don't know where I said i didn't believe a Ford Ranger would be insufficient for farm work. I literally owned a 2000 Ford Ranger 2.5 4cyl AT 2wd and own a small farm. I used to use that thing to haul fence posts and planks to built my own fence and to haul a trailer with cut up tree trunks and limbs. But that doesn't mean it would be a good tow truck. It would be useless as a tow truck over here.
My reply wasn’t personal. Sorry you were offended.

My reply wasn’t personal. Sorry you were offended.
My reply wasn't personal either. I don't know what it is you found offensive in it. But if you did that's a little sensitive on your part. Nothing personal there either so no offense.

There are very few pickup trucks in the UK, they are not at all common. The only buyers seem to be builders who want to project a certain image. Think "Bob the builder". I know of one who takes his kids to school in a pickup and then parks near the school gates illegally and leaves his engine running while parked up for 10 mins, also illegal. That about sums him up.

I was just telling a friend of mine that Virginia 2-lane roads are pretty bad (despite VDOT claiming otherwise), and I hit 3 potholes in 3 miles (it was at night) on a road known by the locals as Pothole Rd (it's really Poplar Rd). And these are the sort of potholes you'd rather hit in a pickup truck than a car. Seriously, one of those think tanks (maybe it was Cato) ranked Virginia roads among the best in the nation. Since nobody from Cato probably actually checked, I expect that they were using data supplied by the DOTs and I suspect that the data VDOT fed them is nothing more than bovine excrement. Baghdad Bob has nothing on your average Virginia government employee (or politician).
I lived most of my life in Va and always thought the roads were well maintained. Even the gravel roads are well maintained. Maybe that's a county issue on Poplar Rd.?? I do know that all new road construction or major repairs have cheap inadequate bases. SC has a fairly new seamless concrete stretch of I-95 where chunks of the concrete are collapsing in the lanes. Talk about damaging chunk holes.

I lived most of my life in Va and always thought the roads were well maintained. Even the gravel roads are well maintained. Maybe that's a county issue on Poplar Rd.?? I do know that all new road construction or major repairs have cheap inadequate bases. SC has a fairly new seamless concrete stretch of I-95 where chunks of the concrete are collapsing in the lanes. Talk about damaging chunk holes.

It's most of the 2-lane roads in the general area. I believe it's a combination of a bad subgrade and poor drainage. Also, VDOT paves the road in layers and often a chunk of the topmost asphalt comes off (delaminates?). I've rarely seen that problem in other states but it's common on VDOT maintained roads. Maybe they should find out how other states get their asphalt layers to stick together???

This VDOT road was repaved about two years before this August 2021 street view. Its worse now:

1678989145948.jpg

It's most of the 2-lane roads in the general area. I believe it's a combination of a bad subgrade and poor drainage. Also, VDOT paves the road in layers and often a chunk of the topmost asphalt comes off (delaminates?). I've rarely seen that problem in other states but it's common on VDOT maintained roads. Maybe they should find out how other states get their asphalt layers to stick together???

This VDOT road was repaved about two years before this August 2021 street view. Its worse now:

View attachment 145230
I would think I had died and gone to heaven if the roads around here were that nice.

The traditional pickup with Sheetmetal (or aluminium bed) is pretty useless, to be honest. It's a giant p----g contest anyway. Our trucks have way too much capacity for what they do anyway.

If I didn't need to tow a vehicle around for a hobby, I'd never have a need for a truck. A small utility trailer behind my daily driver car would be all I need.

Freeze/Thaw cycles are murder on Calgary's roads. A Normal pothole in the spring. Hundreds of them on many roads:
Pothole.jpg

4106-bowness-road-pothole-calgary.jpg

And this is not at all uncommon:
sinkhole.jpeg

The traditional pickup with Sheetmetal (or aluminium bed) is pretty useless, to be honest. It's a giant p----g contest anyway. Our trucks have way too much capacity for what they do anyway.

If I didn't need to tow a vehicle around for a hobby, I'd never have a need for a truck. A small utility trailer behind my daily driver car would be all I need.
Nah. Bikes and kayaks need a place to travel. Trailer needs to be hauled.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

1678992725126.jpg

Freeze/Thaw cycles are murder on Calgary's roads. A Normal pothole in the spring. Hundreds of them on many roads:

And this is not at all uncommon:
sinkhole.jpeg

Things like that around these parts are usually due to a failed culvert washing out. There was a neighborhood that had as it's only access a road that a large culvert ran under. It was completely rusted out for years and the city knew about it. One day the culvert gave way and the road was shut down, they had to build a temporary access road for the neighborhood.

Yes we have pick-up trucks. We call them pick-u’s around here most of the time.
Not ute’s. Nissan Navara, Mitsubishi L200, Ford Ranger, VW Amarok, Mazda B2500 and Toyota Hilux too name some.
They are typically only bought by farmers, people who need to tow 3.5 ton or Ford Rangers with body kits and big wheels. Also don’t forget the Land Rover Defender that was available in pick-up format. Normally come with anything from a 2.0 diesel to a 3.2 diesel.

Big what we would call high side or high top Ford Transit cans are most common for trades people.

Brits laugh at USA people who use their large PU trucks for nothing but commuting. They kind of have a point. I told them at the time all the other stuff I use my truck and they understood. So they only laugh at people who live in rented flats who commute in trucks.
The UK vs USA issues seem to me that. Americans want bang for the buck as we drive much greater distances. I remember a top Gear episode where Clarkson was testing out a new focus. It seems like it was significantly more expensive than the US version and had leather seats and power everything.

Back