Nissan Frontier Hardbody Edition

They could have put the slots in the front of the hood.
View attachment 209590

Local dealer has or had a new Titan painted up like that, it wasn't bad, At least i think it was a Titan.

As for OP subject truck, i don't hate it but i think it is gonna be a hard sell at nearly 45,000.00, that's competitive in the segment for the equipment, but there I feel like the Frontier is viewed as a "bargain". My 45 would defiantly be headed for a Ranger XLT High FX4....

Also a real "hardbody edition" should have a 5 speed, wind up windows and a 4 cylinder with 8 spark plugs right? Any one else remember when an "SR5" Toyota meant it was a 5 speed? Anyhow, I digress.

Seems i'm not the only one thinking that way.

I rented a Ranger - I think it was a 2022 model. It was a 4x4 oddly - I was surprised for a rental. It was quite nice. However I wonder how long the 2.3 ecoboost will really go? Anyone know - I thought it was a stroker version of the 2.0 that they had lots of issues with originally. Are they cross drilling it now?

I am not sure what I would buy if I had to right now. I drove the current Taco - definitely underpowered, like all Toyota's ever it seems.

I speed watched that TFL video, the payload of that Frontier is 1100 lbs. They blame the fake roll bar thing... 😖
My wife's 2019 Rav4 is 1200lbs. That has to be wrong?

My 2011 Frontier SV 4x4 CC is 1660lbs I think? Pretty much the same chassis no?

This video by TFL is not a great comparison of value. Non hardbody versions are more affordable and the SV would be comparable with an XLT.

That being said, the standard brake controls are a nice feature. Full disclosure, I own a 2023 Pro-4x.

Recycled 80's Pathfinder wheels,

f42ba33eca404084d27f1448443bfe34.jpg
Same wheels the D21 Hardbody pickups had

Max payload on the SV crew cab in the video is 1,310. Start adding options like sidesteps etc and it goes down. Look at 3:58 in the video.
My 2022 has a max payload of 1260lbs and then an add on sticker reducing that number by 161lbs, making the grand total 1099lbs. You put 4 beefy dudes in my truck and she's maxed out.

Low payload isn't an issue for most of these in use but it is something for the internet to complain about. Simple, buy the right truck.
The engineer in me has calculated our family carry weight for a week at the beach.

A family of 3 feather thin girls, my lard bottom, 2 dogs, luggage, beach gear, etc. Its in the 1100 lb weight if I skip the big cooler. This is if we take the Rav4.

If I add anything - big cooler, or heaven forbid the kayaks I am getting near the 1660 lb capacity (I have air bags in my 2011 Fronty for this event).

1100 is really pretty weak. I shouldn't need to go to a full size truck to take 3 girls to the beach.

Just checked. My Corolla has a payload of 825lbs. Seems like a truck should have “vastly” more, but a half ton is a half ton, I guess.

Guessing one can handle being overloaded more than the other though.

Pros and cons of a low payload….

One pro of lower payload would be a softer sprung rear axle for daily driving comfort. Our older pathfinder was like that - rode nicely, but was awful with any weight on the hitch. If I was DDing the truck, it could factor in to a polarizing decision depending on what you need. Probably rides better than a taco, for example, at the sacrifice of load. How hard to people load up a compact pickup? We used to put maybe 600 lbs of audio gear in one band member’s for weekly gigs, and it was perfect for that, bed size (with shell) and capacity.

Pros and cons of a low payload….

One pro of lower payload would be a softer sprung rear axle for daily driving comfort. Our older pathfinder was like that - rode nicely, but was awful with any weight on the hitch. If I was DDing the truck, it could factor in to a polarizing decision depending on what you need. Probably rides better than a taco, for example, at the sacrifice of load. How hard to people load up a compact pickup? We used to put maybe 600 lbs of audio gear in one band member’s for weekly gigs, and it was perfect for that, bed size (with shell) and capacity.
So if you have a band that weights 600lbs, and gear that weighs 600lbs, your now over payload.

Maybe one of those anorexic hairbands you be ok?

• Haha
Reactions: JTK
There used to be an old guy near me who had a blue hardbody. He beat the crap out of that truck and it never quit on him.

Hardbodies don't have enough power to tow a trailer with a 1000 lb gun safe.

So if you have a band that weights 600lbs, and gear that weighs 600lbs, your now over payload.

Maybe one of those anorexic hairbands you be ok?

Hehe - well if you try to fill all the seats! But seldom do we put 4 ppl in a truck while carrying a load. My wife doesn’t go with me to mow lawns, for instance, and when she is in the truck, usually it’s not loaded up for a thing.

The only time I’d need full capacity and the bed was when camping (towed the TT), and then yes it’s a real issue - and why we had a full-size with only extended cab. If this was a family must-do-every-thing-possible, then yes. But for most folks who aren’t regularly dealing with a full load scenario - family trips OR carrying a big load, maybe not as bad?

I’m not saying it’s “good” for one size fits all, but we have the exact same constraints for example with the dodge half ton. It rides the best of the big three, but at a notable loss in carrying capacity.

The buyer just needs to be aware as they make their choice.

Back