2023 Frontier (Nissan Matic P Question)

CF7

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Is anyone familiar with Nissan Matic P (999MP-MTP10P) fluid for a 2023 Frontier (D41)?
I saw a post here on this from December 2020, and a staff member specified it appears as an amber color.
I bought a new '23 Frontier and noticed what I thought was motor oil in the RMS area. The vehicle had 100 miles on it. The dealership told me it was transmission fluid so it couldn't be from RMS, rather its simply residual tranny fluid from when the factory filled the torque converter.
I was wondering why it wasn't red but apparently this fluid could be amber.
Thank you very much in advance!
It has been 200 miles since then and has been dry since they wiped it
Screenshot_20230509-134649_Photos.jpg

It's a brand new vehicle, with a warranty. Let the dealer handle this. Well, you say it's not leaking and has remained dry since they cleaned it up, so there's nothing really to worry about, is there ?
There is not in a way, but if the dealership tells me that brown fluid is transmission fluid, when it's motor oil, id consider that an issue. Most transmission fluid is red, but if this happens to be amber than maybe the dealership is telling the truth

As stated here,

The fluid has no dye in it.

Believe it or not, dye is the most expensive component in a lubricant:

Maybe they topped off and spilled some?
Yes that's what they seem to think happened at the factory when filling the torque converter. I just assumed it was motor oil based on the color, but apparently this particular transmission fluid is semi-transparent amber like motor oil

As stated here,

The fluid has no dye in it.

Believe it or not, dye is the most expensive component in a lubricant:

Wow. I would not have guessed that!

Amber colored ATF only an idiot would think that is appropriate. Engineers loosing their common sense and engineering managers (who seem to have the so-called grey hair to back their experience) just signed off on this ludicrous engine oil color..

Is Matic P New for Nissan?
As I recall, it's for a different transmission design and not compatible. Matic-S is for 7-speed and previous, similar transmissions and is backwards-compatible with some older fluids.

That transmission is the Mercedes 9G-Tronic made under license by Jatco.

Anything listed under MB-Approval 236.17 can be used in it.
So this was my next Question before I saw your post:
What Detaled Specifications for the Transmission Fluid does the Benz 9 Speed call for? ( The Transmission that the Nissan is based on )

What is the difference between Matic P and Matic S
See my response here:

NissanMatic P has a 4.5cSt viscosity@100C (a ULV ATF), NissanMatic S has a 5.9 cSt viscosity@100C, (a LV ATF).

In my 2012 Frontier, I use HPL's ATF Green CC (a LV ATF).

For the NissanMaticP, one could use HPL's ATF "Teal" version, (a ULV ATF).

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
That transmission is the Mercedes 9G-Tronic made under license by Jatco.

Anything listed under MB-Approval 236.17 can be used in it.

That's what I would have thought as well. Maxlife is "suitable for use" for MB 236.17.

As @MolaKule has shown, it looks as if the Nissan Jatco version of the 9G tronic may have went with 'thinner' ATF. Possibly in an attempt to boost fuel economy? Nissan Matic-p fluid has a KV100 of 4.5, where maxlife atf is 5.9. Would this cause problems with the Jatco version of the 9G tronic? Who knows. I'd try maxlife if I was out of warranty.

If you look at the case, electrical connectors, plumbing and pan on the Jatco 9spd, compared to the 9G tronic, they look identical. I own a 2022 Frontier with one. It can do some weird things on the first cold shifts of the day. Other than that, I like it. I have 30K miles on mine.

If you look at the case, electrical connectors, plumbing and pan on the Jatco 9spd, compared to the 9G tronic, they look identical. I own a 2022 Frontier with one. It can do some weird things on the first cold shifts of the day. Other than that, I like it. I have 30K miles on mine.
In cold weather (< 0F) my 2012 Frontier would tend to momentarily hang in 2,3 upshifts before warm-up, but this "hang" disappeared when I used HPL's ATF GreenCC (a LV ATF).

My 2022 Frontier with 9spd most of the time on cold take-off out of my driveway does a 3-4 flare or a hard 3-4 or 4-5 shift. Only on the fist shift of the day and only during this specific condition. Travelling up the slightly inclined roadway. Trying different throttle, a/c on/off, 4x4 on/off, etc. doesn't make it any better.

That's what I would have thought as well. Maxlife is "suitable for use" for MB 236.17.

As @MolaKule has shown, it looks as if the Nissan Jatco version of the 9G tronic may have went with 'thinner' ATF. Possibly in an attempt to boost fuel economy? Nissan Matic-p fluid has a KV100 of 4.5, where maxlife atf is 5.9. Would this cause problems with the Jatco version of the 9G tronic? Who knows. I'd try maxlife if I was out of warranty.

Is it possible that the Fluids Ultra Low Viscosity is Causing the Funtional Problems in the Nissan Frontier?

The current gen powertrain looks to be very reliable. The current 9 speed transmission is solid. It's been around a long time and is generally regarded as a meh, but reliable, transmission. The MB utility vans, like the ones Amazon uses, all have them. Amazon probably wouldn't have used them if reliability was a known concern.

Current gen Frontier gets overshadowed by the Ranger, Tacoma and Colorado but is a worthy choice if looking for a more scaled down, simplistic and reliable truck.

My 2022 Frontier with 9spd most of the time on cold take-off out of my driveway does a 3-4 flare or a hard 3-4 or 4-5 shift. Only on the fist shift of the day and only during this specific condition. Travelling up the slightly inclined roadway. Trying different throttle, a/c on/off, 4x4 on/off, etc. doesn't make it any better.
The 8 speed in the Colorado always has the rough 1st to 2nd upshift when cold. After that it's perfectly fine.

Back