2023 Frontier (Nissan Matic P Question)

Is it possible that the Fluids Ultra Low Viscosity is Causing the Funtional Problems in the Nissan Frontier?

I would think an ULV fluid would only help for cold take-off, but I have no way of knowing for sure. My cold take off shift oddities are so specific, they only happen pulling out of my driveway. I've never had the issue leaving work after a 12hr+ shift, with the truck being cold. You can tell how exciting my life is as these are the only two points my truck has gotten cold started in the past 30K miles.

Regardless, this is a great little truck. The new GDI 3.8L and 9spd combo makes a big difference with fuel ecomony vs the VQ40 and 5AT, but the Frontier does no better than many full-sized light trucks. I routinely get 23mpg average tank to tank (hand calc), but you can do that with a Pentastar powered Ram 1500, etc.

Amber colored ATF only an idiot would think that is appropriate. Engineers loosing their common sense and engineering managers (who seem to have the so-called grey hair to back their experience) just signed off on this ludicrous engine oil color..
Someone somewhere within Nissan speced the fluid as having the color it has so we simply have to deal with it.

I would think an ULV fluid would only help for cold take-off, but I have no way of knowing for sure. My cold take off shift oddities are so specific, they only happen pulling out of my driveway. I've never had the issue leaving work after a 12hr+ shift, with the truck being cold. You can tell how exciting my life is as these are the only two points my truck has gotten cold started in the past 30K miles.

Regardless, this is a great little truck. The new GDI 3.8L and 9spd combo makes a big difference with fuel ecomony vs the VQ40 and 5AT, but the Frontier does no better than many full-sized light trucks. I routinely get 23mpg average tank to tank (hand calc), but you can do that with a Pentastar powered Ram 1500, etc.
Makes me wonder if an impending TSB will be forthcoming to reprogram the fluid shift points verses temperature?

Makes me wonder if an impending TSB will be forthcoming to reprogram the fluid shift points verses temperature?

There have been some software updates for harsh shifts and a parking pawl recall for 2020 through very early 2022 models. Apparently there were some cases of early models not locking into park properly and still able to roll. The other oddity IMO with these units is there is no mechanical "bypass" as in a button to press, cord to pull or shaft to index to get these 9spds in neutral in the event of problems. It's all electronic.

Mine shifts, performs and behaves so nicely other that occasional thing, I hate to have it messed with.

There have been some software updates for harsh shifts and a parking pawl recall for 2020 through very early 2022 models. Apparently there were some cases of early models not locking into park properly and still able to roll. The other oddity IMO with these units is there is no mechanical "bypass" as in a button to press, cord to pull or shaft to index to get these 9spds in neutral in the event of problems. It's all electronic.

Mine shifts, performs and behaves so nicely other that occasional thing, I hate to have it messed with.
My Jeep had a TCM recall about a year ago … shifts great …

As stated here,

The fluid has no dye in it.

Believe it or not, dye is the most expensive component in a lubricant:

Does anyone have recomendations for Transmission Fluid Temperature gauge in 2024 Frontier?
High Quality Small ?
What is the best way to connect it?

Last edited:
This TRIAX ULV ATF looks interesting.
It has the Benz 236.17 spec with a 4.45 cSt @100.
I'm not saying to use it with 100% certainty.
I'll let someone else try it since I have 3 years before I'm draining and filling my JATCO 9-speed tranny.

Back