New Valvoline Oil

You guys are obsessed - not me …
Totally oblique comments - going to dinner - Bye 👋
khaby-lame.gif

For grins I just started running it in our bought new by us, super well maintained 255K mile 2010 Honda Element. Even after 255K miles there are no leaks and it "uses" only about 1/8 quart per 5K mile OCI, Castrol Edge 5W-30 or 0W-30 (Euro) its entire life.

I was going to try R&P for 10K miles, doing 3,333K OCI and filter changes. I'll do a C&P of the oil filter when the first OCI comes up.

Scott
Cut open an oil filter before using the oil as a comparison.

As I've said before, as a brand, I don't even like Valvoline. Products were always just OK. But if I'm going to be objective about it, I'll at least give it a chance to prove itself.

For $36 a jug I'd rather just spend the extra on hpl or get a high detergent oil like castrol edge euro 5w-30 or rotella T4 both of which cost less. Someone did a voa on this a while ago and both detergents and oxidation value being ester count were disappointing.

Where you been?

we’re the first ones with an oil that actually removes deposits and restores the cleanliness of an engine. That’s huge. I think that shows that we’re constantly innovating. We come from this long line of firsts and we’re continuing that legacy.”
Uhhhh, Mobil made that claim ages ago 🤷‍♂️

Maybe they should add the first to be sold off to the Saudis? LOL

It's like Valvoline picked up a book on marketing at a second hand book shop and just run the company based on that.

It's better to be first, than to be better.

Classic marketing BS.

Yeah, I suspect it's AN's.
I wonder that too. Bc on paper there is nothing whatsoever that stands out as it being unique. Unless it's not a metallic additive and some new novel ingredient or ANs.

Did they ever say deposits though? Cleaning power to clean sludge but I don't recall any brand claiming they can remove piston deposits back to factory levels.

The wording is usually - exceptional cleaning power, clean sludge in one change, prevents deposits keeping pistons clean. Nothing about cleaning carbon deposits that I can recall.

Last edited:
Roger England worked at Cummins apparently and was likely working on that Premium Blue Restore oil they came up with, which Valvoline explicitly stated they use group V for that (esters/ANs). Using those base oils in a product at levels where it could clean would price it well above the Walmart threshold I'm thinking.

So it's either marketing bs, ANs or something new.

It's like Valvoline picked up a book on marketing at a second hand book shop and just run the company based on that.

It's better to be first, than to be better.

Classic marketing BS.
Yeah well they all do it including "trust us" boutique brands.

Look how many people for years thought Red Line cleaned LMAO. Nope. Will run clean though. Red Line failed the TEOST test years ago when Amsoil tested it. While it was not necessarily the great test, it does have some relevancy and potential implication for IVD's.

Cummins has 89 test cells at their R&D center where they tested Premium Blue Restore.

Last edited:
Back