New Valvoline Oil

I don’t get why they don’t give out at least a little bit more info. It’s not like their competitors aren’t running their oils through the expensive tests that truly deconstruct the formulations anyway.
If their competitors even care. Since there are no publicly conducted tests and comparisons that have any meaning, once you get your target approvals you might as well spend every last dollar of your budget on marketing.

If their competitors even care. Since there are no publicly conducted tests and comparisons that have any meaning, once you get your target approvals you might as well spend every last dollar of your budget on marketing.
Great point.

Maybe they're able to claim that RP is the only oil capable of cleaning piston deposits because no other oil company attempted to try that particular test (IIIH) to see if it could be done.

If it's true that it's just marketing bs then I would have to say Valvoline is the worst of the worst in that regard.

I must say that I'm definitely interesting in trying this oil in my Honda, so the marketing team has definitely done it's job! At the end of the day though, I really won't know if it's doing what it claims to do, because I'm definitely not going to be opening up my engine to see how it looks inside.

@Foxtrot08 appears to know his stuff. I have to put him in the 'trust me bro' segment of BITOG because, well, he insists upon us trusting him because he is supposedly in the industry.

That's not even a dig on Foxtrot. It's a dig on the forum, as it is a forum on the super reliable world wide web (BIG shout out to my homie Al Gore, since he invented the internet (isn't that ironic, don't ya think)(Al Gore didn't invent the internet, that was a false claim that he made that has been regurgitated so often that an abhorrently large population will solemnly swear on the Lords book that Al gore did indeed, invent the internet). There are almost infinite "trust me bro's", to the point where I prefer data over feeling or intuition or other false information (gasp) found on the (bigger gasp) internet. There is so much regurgitation of 'alternative facts' that those absolutely inane regurgitators puke back up that a lotta drivel is now believed to be fact.

@Invisible - tell me when I'm telling lies.

And if you are going to quote, quote the whole thing. Context is important to us visible people.

EDITING TO ADD: FWIW, I do think he's in the industry and I do think he knows his stuff. But that doesn't mean he's still not more than a 'trust me bro' because I've been fooled before. I mean, I've seen pictures of people on the internet that aren't even real people. I've seen people masquerading as exspherts just end up being imbeciles with an internet connection and a mastery of Google Search. I've seen men pretending to be younger ladies in order to get the men to send them money. I'm sorry if this has jaded me to anyone on the internet who claims to be such and such.

Several people here, besides me, can vouch for who I am in this industry. If they want to, they can. If they don’t want to, they don’t have to.

Otherwise, I normally say this phrase.

This is the internet, everyone is allowed to have opinions. Chances are, if we sat down for a drink, we would have different opinions. I don’t expect anyone to believe me or listen to me. I do this free of charge because it’s entirely entertainment to me.

Several people here, besides me, can vouch for who I am in this industry. If they want to, they can. If they don’t want to, they don’t have to.

Otherwise, I normally say this phrase.

This is the internet, everyone is allowed to have opinions. Chances are, if we sat down for a drink, we would have different opinions. I don’t expect anyone to believe me or listen to me. I do this free of charge because it’s entirely entertainment to me.
I wouldn't waste my time on a few spiteful individuals who enjoy undermining others on this forum. Just ignore them. And for what it’s worth, I recognize your genuine contributions despite their baseless criticism.

I wouldn't waste my time on a few spiteful individuals who enjoy undermining others on this forum. Just ignore them. And for what it’s worth, I recognize your genuine contributions despite their baseless criticism.

Oh I get what you’re saying. But at the sometime, as I said I do this for entertainment. I have thick skin. If I was here to make money? Then yeah, I’d nod smile and agree. Do whatever. But since I’m not, I’ll converse back politely - sometimes sarcastically, or a bit on the trolling side.

But it’s what I said, I don’t expect everyone to believe me, “just trust me.” This is the internet. As I said, if we met for a drink, you saw my business card. Who texts me. Who emails me. Who I’m going to Prague with in a few days. I bet the opinions we have online, are suddenly different than the opinions in person. But, for now, it’s the internet. I can’t just go link an article about what an ILMA is doing. Or whose base oil Valvoline is using in what blend, because a friend of mine sells them base oil. As, that info doesn’t exist in some report I can link. That’s just the way of the industry. And I have my own responsibility to skirt around what I shouldn’t say in a public way.

So if people don’t like that, cool. No skin off my back.

Eh, that’s a bit too bleak of a view for my taste. If that were true then there would be no difference between tiers of products within a brand. Since there clearly are differences, that tells me it isn’t all marketing.

while Valvoline and Castrol and others blend excellent engine oils using base stocks from various sources and additive packages possibly tweeked to their own liking, its really up to the consumer to decide what to believe, virtually all popular engines oils pass/exceed the required specs and license's to the proper job they are intended to perform,as of course the marketing is there to sell the product at a affordable and competive price,,,now there are more higher quality oils that exceed current testing and specs ,as its reflected in the pricing and consumer needs/wants and overall performance, and trusting claims by the manufacture/blender. to note to rember,good filteration and keeping the oil clean with correct oci, fuel dilution,driving habits etc, also come into play with of course a mechanically sound engine.

Eh, that’s a bit too bleak of a view for my taste. If that were true then there would be no difference between tiers of products within a brand. Since there clearly are differences, that tells me it isn’t all marketing.
Perhaps you’re right, but unfortunately we have no data to be able to distinguish what’s marketing and what’s real. Maybe one day Project Farm will get some engine stands 🤣.

No need to wait, just ask @Foxtrot08 about Valvoline.
He goes after Valvoline a little too much. That's always suspect to me. People who do that generally have a beef for whatever reason. I don't share his hate for Valvoline. It always comes off as though he is jealous about how good they market themselves. When did that become a negative? That is what marketing is. Foxtrot08 may be knowledgable, and I appreciate his contributions, but that doesn't make him perfect. Valvoline is a good product.

He goes after Valvoline a little too much. That's always suspect to me. People who do that generally have a beef for whatever reason. I don't share his hate for Valvoline. It always comes off as though he is jealous about how good they market themselves. When did that become a negative? That is what marketing is. Foxtrot08 may be knowledgable, and I appreciate his contributions, but that doesn't make him perfect. Valvoline is a good product.

Valvoline has just been the flavor of the month here recently. And what I’ve gotten tagged in.

I could go after everyone if I wanted to. I just get tagged in these Valvoline threads all the time. But again, I really don’t care what brand people use. I more so point out the marketing flaws in engine oils.

I’d actually counter that I go after Shell/Rotella more. Because friends don’t let friends run Brotella.

Edit:

Really. I’ll stop replying to these Valvoline threads when I’m tagged. I’ve had to been tagged in all of them.

Last edited:
Because friends don’t let friends run Brotella.
ByuntearMemeGIF.gif

What is Brotella? I have seen a few people post that. Inside joke?

If an engine oil had a human form. Brotella would be the mid 20 year old, with a flat billed cap, white Oakley gascans, a skyjacked F350 (or pick your flavor of diesel pick ups), all chromed out and painted up, on 24’s with low profile mud tires. And he always skips leg day. But he certainly lets you know his dad owns a dealership.

For $36 a jug I'd rather just spend the extra on hpl or get a high detergent oil like castrol edge euro 5w-30 or rotella T4 both of which cost less. Someone did a voa on this a while ago and both detergents and oxidation value being ester count were disappointing.

Yeah where are you getting $36?? It’s that price at AutoZone , but they are always higher. Walmart has at for 29.99, and I’ve seen people say Amazon has it for 24.99. Just an fyi

IMG_7921.jpeg

View attachment 218030

There's another as well, will have to dig it up, give me a bit, have to pop out for a few.
"Relevant Part of Engine"? How many grams deposits removed from pistons in critical areas?
Easy to show what doesn't really matter - though an improvement HERE could relate to improvement There.

Back when I was a young lad, cylinder balance was a good indicator of engine cleanliness - but this was before MPFI that tossed spray pattern/atomization into the mix. Test driving a vehicle you would note some vibration vs a turbine like smoothness.

Did XoM post anything tangential to an ASTM D8111 evaluation?

- Arco

Back