New to the oil scene, can I get a little help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys/gals,

Great site
patriot.gif

Have been reading as much as I can, but honestly still lost.
I see all the abbreviations and Group III oil, group this group that... Someone give me a help in a good direction on some literature or a thread here than can get me on my feet.
I use Mobil One in my truck and now reading about it going to Group III, what does that mean? If that's not so good what is a good Full Synthetic I can switch too?

Love the site, just want to catch up and not feel like its Dutch to me....LOL

I don't care if you put up a ton of links for me to read, the help in direction will be worth it. I am willing to read, just don't know where to start.

Thanks Again
Vishant
patriot.gif

In the US, conventional dino oils are group I, II, and II+
Synthetics are group III, IV, and V

As stated, I-II+ is dino although some synth materials maybe used in the latest API SM conventionals.

III is a highly refined conventional oil that through hydrocracking or other means is considered very close to more expensive PAO synthetic's performance.

IV is PAO polyalphaolefin synthetic-what Mobil1 made its reputation as being.

V is ester synthetic and synthetic created through means other than those that produce groups III and IV.

Someone else can give you better details, but that's a rough start. Oil purists often don't consider group III true synth but performance can be very similar.

Group III can also be processed from the Slack Wax Byproducts of oil production. Example Shell's excellent XVHI Group III. The real problem with Group III is that there is a large difference between the cheapest of severly hydrotreated petroleum GIII and the best Slack Wax derived GIII.

Also oils marketed as Synthetic can vary greatly in longevity. From 7500 mi SuperTech Synthetic 5W-30 to M-B 229.5 (Designed for 20,000 mi service in Mercedes) 0W-30/0W-40/5W-40 offered by several manufactures.

In some cases the better Dinos (see 11,000 mi + OCI on Pennzoil in UOA section) can outlast cheapest "Synthetics".

Quote:

Why have some of you guys moved away from Mobil One?

I'm making the switch because I can find cheaper group III oil. Mobil 1 is still a very good oil, I can just get group III at less cost. I don't care to pay a group IV price for the group III product.

Found a dealer just down the street from my office...and they're wanting $8.95 per quart of 5W-30. Went to Redline's site for a comparison and can't figure out how to price / buy oil. There's purchase links for everything BUT oil. Am I missing something?

You can get Redline Oil for $7.95 by mail, but after shipping, unless you buy a lot, you might as well buy it locally. I went to the Redline dealer locator and I did not see the internet oil shop I have bought it from, nor did it list Detroit Speed Shops, which has it near me. I also have ordered direct from Redline.

Thanks Everyone for your Responses
cheers.gif

Guess I will be changing over to another brand. I don't want to spend almost $6 dollars a quart when I can get same for cheaper.

Most likely I will go to Redline or Amsoil

Quote:

Thanks Everyone for your Responses
cheers.gif

Guess I will be changing over to another brand. I don't want to spend almost $6 dollars a quart when I can get same for cheaper.

Most likely I will go to Redline or Amsoil

Dont underestimate the power of BITOG, Mobil!
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back