Getting extremely confused on what to use in 2021 Veloster N

What would cause timing variation based on oil used? I'm not seeing how oil would impact that...it's almost always fuel-quality related. Typically oil temps is going to be the same across a grade so all the 40s should show the same, 30s, etc....based on my logging...
I would totally agree and it's the same reply I would type if anyone other than myself typed it. It was the same tank of gas on the s4. We get our fuel from the same station, same pump.

I simply don't know how to answer you. Maybe if freed up some rings??? I simply don't have an answer. I logged both cars. Those are the results.

If you follow my post history, you'd know I did nothing but be against boutique oils, especially bitogs favorite and also trolled Amsoil users. I feel like a bit of a "Richard" now, but live and learn, I guess.

I used it, my results are typed above.

I would totally agree and it's the same reply I would type if anyone other than myself typed it. It was the same tank of gas on the s4. We get our fuel from the same station, same pump.

I simply don't know how to answer you. Maybe if freed up some rings??? I simply don't have an answer. I logged both cars. Those are the results.

If you follow my post history, you'd know I did nothing but be against boutique oils, especially bitogs favorite and also trolled Amsoil users. I feel like a bit of a "Richard" now, but live and learn, I guess.

I used it, my results are typed above.
It's too bad you don't have the logs you can post up.

Amsoil SS. My TGDIs run smoother and quieter.

I’m sure HPL is great but more $ and lacking certs. Maybe someday.

Keep using what you are using, Motul makes a few great oils
FIFY… many of their oils are essentially equal to the lower 2 shelves at WM. 300V is great, 8100s are generally good, and their Gear 300 is revered in Subaru circles (and tests decently as well). But to drape the banner of “great” over their whole catalog is a misrepresentation.

Scarcity does not equate to greatness.

Despite being ACEA A3/B4 in a direct injection vs the X-Clean C2/C3? I'm pretty happy with the X-Clean 5w30after this post but if you have a compelling reason to switch to Xcess gen 2 5w40 I'm all ears since that's what I use in my Subaru and I love it in that and wouldn't mind just putting the same oil in both cars.

The only thing stopping me is like said earlier in this thread the A3/B4 will lead to more carbon build up and in a direct injection that's a big concern for me.

🤷 I have next to no clue about the intricacies of oil though so I'm open to hearing suggestions.

This is what I'm working off and it makes a lot of sense to me and a big reason I'm sticking with the X-Clean for now
You’re making a much bigger deal out of this than what it will ever truly be in reality. You’ve got a good oil now, use it. Once your OCI is up, change to something else. I’d take a good C2 oil over any API or ILSAC, extra points for it if it meets Porsche C40.

You’re making a much bigger deal out of this than what it will ever truly be in reality. You’ve got a good oil now, use it. Once your OCI is up, change to something else. I’d take a good C2 oil over any API or ILSAC, extra points for it if it meets Porsche C40.
Any recommendations on what to change to? The X-Clean gen 2 5w40 has c40 where the EFE doesn't but I'm not married to Motul. Just whatever is the best option given the 5 year Canadian warranty Hyundai has I want to take as many steps as I can to keep it running, suffice to say Hyundai history has me nervous

Amsoil SS. My TGDIs run smoother and quieter.

I’m sure HPL is great but more $ and lacking certs. Maybe someday.
I've been very interested in Amsoil but given how strict Hyundai is with what oil you use and it's lack of certifications I've been hesitant

I've been very interested in Amsoil but given how strict Hyundai is with what oil you use and it's lack of certifications I've been hesitant
If you’re under warranty, use something that maintains that for you. After you’re out of warranty, go ahead and try the Amsoil or even HPL.

When you’re ready, @High Performance Lubricants will review your case and recommend something right up your alley.

If you’re under warranty, use something that maintains that for you. After you’re out of warranty, go ahead and try the Amsoil or even HPL.

When you’re ready, @High Performance Lubricants will review your case and recommend something right up your alley.
Also I'm going to be straightforward and say between the SP or C2 requirements I have no clue what to pick until warranty is up that is both a high quality performance oil and prevents lspi. I've been browsing the VOA section and the ones I like aren't SP so I'm just straight up lost 🫠

Does HPL not have certs similiar to Amsoil? I suppose I can go check while I ask.
HPL uses d1G3 or Euro add packs that have been approved, but because they use very high quality base oils and further fortify the overall product, they do not meet all of the requirements. Plus, they’re not paying (or charging us!) the money for things like the dexos pay-to-play or Euro testing.

However, you can rest assured that HPL is the cream of the crop. They have some huge fleet contracts with the government, along with some of the biggest names in racing: Richard Petty, Erica Enders, and more. If they’re willing to put HPL in their engines with all that money on the line, and you can literally buy the same oil if it fits your application… it’s good stuff.

Also I'm going to be straightforward and say between the SP or C2 requirements I have no clue what to pick until warranty is up that is both a high quality performance oil and prevents lspi. I've been browsing the VOA section and the ones I like aren't SP so I'm just straight up lost 🫠
Just remember that a $30 VOA is not going to give you any idea whatsoever as to how the oil will perform, regardless of how good it “looks”. That’s what the certifications are for.

Just remember that a $30 VOA is not going to give you any idea whatsoever as to how the oil will perform, regardless of how good it “looks”. That’s what the certifications are for.
So what I'm looking at right now is Redline euro 5w30 as it has SP, ACEA C2/C3, LL-04, dexos 1, MB 229.31/229.51/229.52, Porsche C30, VW 504.00/505.00/505.01/507.00/511.00 among others.

So all the good euro specs + SP + C2/C3 an HTHS of 3.6 and a NOACK of 5

All that sounds good to my uninformed brain until I'm out of warranty and can use HPL

I thought Amsoil does have the certs. Their product bulletins list them. Maybe I’m confused

Attachments

• IMG_5001.jpeg
    IMG_5001.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 6
I thought Amsoil does have the certs. Their product bulletins list them. Maybe I’m confused
Unless it changed recently they put "meets or exceeds X spec" which means they didn't get certified but believe it meets the certification. Judging by Amsoils cult following it likely does but my understanding is they don't actually have the certifications (again I last checked a few months ago)

So what I'm looking at right now is Redline euro 5w30 as it has SP, ACEA C2/C3, LL-04, dexos 1, MB 229.31/229.51/229.52, Porsche C30, VW 504.00/505.00/505.01/507.00/511.00 among others.

So all the good euro specs + SP + C2/C3 an HTHS of 3.6 and a NOACK of 5

All that sounds good to my uninformed brain until I'm out of warranty and can use HPL
Does the Redline actually have the certs, or does it use “meets or exceeds” wording? That’s the same boat you’d be in with the other boutique (read non-XOM or non-RDS).

I don’t think any of us are telling you that you “can’t” use a meets or exceeds oil, as the ones being discussed are excellent. Just that if you had some sort of warranty claim that required oil change receipts, these likely wouldn’t cut the mustard.

Does the Redline actually have the certs, or does it use “meets or exceeds” wording? That’s the same boat you’d be in with the other boutique (read non-XOM or non-RDS).

I don’t think any of us are telling you that you “can’t” use a meets or exceeds oil, as the ones being discussed are excellent. Just that if you had some sort of warranty claim that required oil change receipts, these likely wouldn’t cut the mustard.
Good point, I checked the API directory and Redline isn't listed. Finding oil is becoming extremely frustrating. The weirdest part is X-Clean EFE being listed as both SP and SN, like *** is that supposed to mean.

It's a pipe dream but I'm basically hoping someone just comes along and says "X oil" and everyone agrees 🫠

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230818-205230.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818-205230.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 3
Will a manufacturer really deny a warranty claim if you don’t use a certified oil?
Maybe not but Hyundai has been known to do some scummy stuff so I'd rather not F around and find out if you know what I mean, especially since I already get the oil changes done outside the dealership.

Good point, I checked the API directory and Redline isn't listed. Finding oil is becoming extremely frustrating. The weirdest part is X-Clean EFE being listed as both SP and SN, like *** is that supposed to mean.

It's a pipe dream but I'm basically hoping someone just comes along and says "X oil" and everyone agrees 🫠
Ok. Pick the 5w30:

Attachments

• IMG_2084.jpeg
    IMG_2084.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2083.jpeg
    IMG_2083.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 16
Back