Getting extremely confused on what to use in 2021 Veloster N

What is the oil that a new off-the-lot 2023 version of your car calls for? Remind me...SP gives you what again?

Do the Elantra/Kona N have the same engine as yours?

My take is simply that unless you are beating the snot out of it, basically whatever the OE calls for is just fine. Beating the snot out of it = road course track use....not a few WOT fun pulls around town or running a mountain road.
Yes the Elantra and Kona N have the same engine. There's no new off the lot version because they stopped making them in 2022 but Hyundai dealers put garbage semi synthetic 0w20 Quaker state in unless they are a good dealership where they will have their own oil specifically for Ns but that's different from dealer to dealer, I've heard a lot use Pennzoil 0w30 though.

The manual itself you can see in the first post, calls for Quaker state SN+/SP or ACEA C2 0w30 to 20W50

Last edited:
LOL and cost would be?
Depends on the product in the line. I'd have to phone the shop Monday to get the exact price but it's around 50$ CAD for a full change. It's only slightly more than if I bought M1 or Pennzoil at Walmart, I think the Castrol from Walmart is actually more expensive in Canada.

*Edit* I'm not even sure the point of this thread anymore. Nothing else constructive is likely to come from it now that people are here to gotcha me or laugh at my stupidity/worrying so yeah PM me if you want to discuss something

Why Brotella over a Euro 5W40 with all the approvals?
He’s simply stirring 💩 with no intent of adding anything worthwhile.

Clearly, Euro 0/5w40s with MB/BMW/Porsche/VW certifications will run circles around today’s reformulated Rotella. As RDY4WAR had shared, the closedmindedness of the engine builder likely cost him north of half a million dollars and the confidence of his customers.

Depends on the product in the line. I'd have to phone the shop Monday to get the exact price but it's around 50$ CAD for a full change. It's only slightly more than if I bought M1 or Pennzoil at Walmart, I think the Castrol from Walmart is actually more expensive in Canada.

*Edit* I'm not even sure the point of this thread anymore. Nothing else constructive is likely to come from it now that people are here to gotcha me or laugh at my stupidity/worrying so yeah PM me if you want to discuss something
Just buy Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w-30 at Canadian Tire when it's on sale and then use Pennzoil online Promo to get C$10 off per 5L jug, 2 jugs limit till next promo which is just around the corner. I do this and I end up paying about C$25 a jug. Excellent made in Germany ACEA C2/C3, VW 504/507, MB 229.52 oil.
You are way overthinking the subj. If you set your mind on an oil and want validation from us here, well you may not get what you want.

Just buy Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w-30 at Canadian Tire when it's on sale and then use Pennzoil online Promo to get C$10 off per 5L jug, 2 jugs limit till next promo which is just around the corner. I do this and I end up paying about C$25 a jug. Excellent made in Germany ACEA C2/C3, VW 504/507, MB 229.52 oil.
You are way overthinking the subj. If you set your mind on an oil and want validation from us here, well you may not get what you want.
Yeah I already admitted to over thinking it. I get the Motul cheap, it has the certs, I'm going to use the Motul until warranty is up then I might switch to HPL. Only difference now is I might switch to Xcess Gen 2 5w40 for the SP and euro certs + Porsche A40 which the X-Clean doesn't have. I'm mainly reading through the forum to figure out if A3/B4 higher SAPS oil leads to more IVD than C2/C3 oil since I don't want to start another thread.

Most SP/GF6 rated 5w30 would do pretty well for the given application.

Consider it extra reassurance if the above combination also includes the latest Dexos 1 approvals.

Not enough to make a difference. Motul is good oil, but if they're charging you $60+ for 5L there are options just as good for less.
I'd use QS Euro 5w40 for $22.97 for the 5 quart jug at Walmart.....best bang for your money for a high quality Euro oil.

PS: I'm assuming the OP can shop at Walmart.....I liked it better when BITOGers 'location' was listed so we knew what advice to give. It's silly to suggest buying oil from Walmart to somebody who lives in Europe, Asia etc....

Last edited:
If your owners manual calls for C2 oil there may be a good reason they don't want high SAPS oil in the engine.

Meh would be valve deposits or exhaust emission tech that are sensitive, not the engine itself. AFAIK
The valves can be cleaned. TW-Catalyst or PF not so much.

Again C3 oils are E/DPF compliant and comes in wider range of viscosities.

Back