Epidemic of bad paint on new vehicles?

Visiting various dealers over the last couple of years, I've seen a lot of really bad paint on pricey new vehicles. I'm talking 'seventies grade orange peel. Last Sunday we saw a 70K+ top of the tree SUV on display at a non-automotive venue and it had pretty bad orange peel, which looked worse in the black paint it wore.
I know it isn't the paint system allowed in this country, since my Ohio built Accord has perfect paint.
Is this no more than my anecdotal observation, or is there lots of bad paint out there. I'm not talking about minor imperfections but rather paint bad enough that you'd realistically tell the dealer to knock 10K off just to compensate for the unforgivably bad paint.

Paint has been on the decline over the past few years (to my eye)

But you're right, the newest Toyota/Subaru/Honda models I've seen out and and about have shockingly bad orange peel, and plastic bumper covers that don't exactly match up

Ford, Hyundai/Kia, and the Germans seem to be keeping up appearances

I wouldn't accept EPA/VOC or water based whining, GM and Mercedes Benz went through that phase in the 90s/early 2000s

There's no excuse for grainy/orange peel, or panel to panel color difference on a new car at this point in history

What is this, a WTVJ road test from the 1970s?

Paint has been on the decline over the past few years (to my eye)

But you're right, the newest Toyota/Subaru/Honda models I've seen out and and about have shockingly bad orange peel, and plastic bumper covers that don't exactly match up

Ford, Hyundai/Kia, and the Germans seem to be keeping up appearances

I wouldn't accept EPA/VOC or water based whining, GM and Mercedes Benz went through that phase in the 90s/early 2000s

There's no excuse for grainy/orange peel, or panel to panel color difference on a new car at this point in history

What is this, a WTVJ road test from the 1970s?
Not really.
I've never seen a Toy, a Honda or a Subie in bad factory paint.
The vehicles I saw that looked really bad were from American nameplates, one founded by Billy Durant and the other wearing a recentlty invented moniker.
They were truly bad and in no way acceptable as anything more than fleet vehilces.

Not really.
The vehicles I saw that looked really bad were from American nameplates, one founded by Billy Durant and the other wearing a recentlty invented moniker.
They were truly bad and in no way acceptable as anything more than fleet vehilces.

You're only seeing what you want to.

Not really.
Toyota has a history of some of the worst paint, especially in the 90s and early 2000's.

Hyun/Kia and Honda had issues with white paint recently. Nissan has struggled with darker paint for years. The orange peel on my Hyundai is really pretty bad. Paint quality may be dropping, but what's worse is the lack of color. Seems like unless you get the top most trim level, your options are some variety of dark blue, black, white, or three shades of gray. Even Honda has seemingly gone away from their staple champagne (what they called sandstone) color. New car colors are boring.

Must have got lucky, the Maverick's paint is a few steps above average. Cleans easily, has very minimal orange peel, and looks very good with just a quick spray wax. I'm happy.

my 2018 mazda 6 signature had to be repainted entirely. the paint was extremely thin. it was soul red crystal. the shop that repainted it did an incredible job. the paint was so thick even after 2 winters, there was no chipping. soul red crystal is gorgeous when done right. my 2021 mazda 3 turbo has the same extreme chipping problem because of very thin paint. except that this time, i am not certain mazda will agree to have the car repainted. it makes me not happy to pay for a fairly expensive vehicle and having to deal with mediocre paint. it litteraly sabotage the resale value of my vehicle. when you want a fast job, you have robots doing it. when you want quality, you have humans doing it. the paint job they did by hand on my mazda 6 was a hundred times better than the mediocre paint job done by robots at the mazda factory.

I'd rather put up with "orange peel" than bad adhesion-paint that comes off if you rub your jacket against it. Had a Subaru-very bad paint on it. Had a $54,000.00 Silverado and it was worse than the Subaru. I understand since I bought my Silverado they (GM) have a new paint plant-

Guys who are buying the new Silverados say the paint is great-supposedly.

Another thing- When buying a vehicle with multi-stage paint, it's just too expensive to repaint any body panel.

my 2018 mazda 6 signature had to be repainted entirely. the paint was extremely thin. it was soul red crystal. the shop that repainted it did an incredible job. the paint was so thick even after 2 winters, there was no chipping. soul red crystal is gorgeous when done right. my 2021 mazda 3 turbo has the same extreme chipping problem because of very thin paint. except that this time, i am not certain mazda will agree to have the car repainted. it makes me not happy to pay for a fairly expensive vehicle and having to deal with mediocre paint. it litteraly sabotage the resale value of my vehicle. when you want a fast job, you have robots doing it. when you want quality, you have humans doing it. the paint job they did by hand on my mazda 6 was a hundred times better than the mediocre paint job done by robots at the mazda factory.

“…..chipping?”

Where on the car body, exactly?

“…..chipping?”

Where on the car body, exactly?
everywhere, but the front is so chipped it's terrible. they did not ask questions for my 2018 mazda 6 signature, but a mazda dealer where i buy my maintenance parts, told me mazda canada does not approve repaints as easily as in 2018. in all honesty i will pay from my own pockets. i love that car and it deserve a nice paint. that snowflake white mica is so nice when properly done. when they repainted my 2018 mazda 6 signature in soul red crystal, it was so beautiful, i had all kind of people talking to me everywhere i went with that car. the paint was very thick and solid.

Back