New purchase, self service or dealer service ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: theKman
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
The dealer has no other history on the car as far as service or when anything if any has been performed. (this Acura was purchased and a Chevrolet dealership)

If Acura has an owners website where you can create an account with your VIN and view owners manuals and such, you may be able to view the service history there, at least for anything done at an Acura dealer. Otherwise, a visit to an Acura dealer should be able to get you this info.

And I agree about Chevy not having a clue as to what fluids, procedures, etc. to do on your Acura. I think you should take care of the maintenance yourself, you'll care a lot more than they will.

Agreed, I called Acura.. they are investigating the background on the car, the closest dealer is a hour away. im waiting for a phone call back. I gave them the VIN and nothing came up.. they claimed they would dig deaper for me and I would get a call back. Im 99% sure id prefer to do my own servicing on this car.. I know I would care a lot more than they would.

When I bought my Pilot (albeit new), the dealer had the same deal of a lifetime warranty as long as every service was done there. I decided to pass since that meant every tire rotation, fluid change, filter, etc had to be done with them at their jacked up dealer rates. In the very off chance something did go wrong with the car, they'd scrutinize my service history and look to deny the warranty claim because I missed a tire rotation 10K miles back.

Like others said, your Acura is used and bought from a Chevy dealer so the situation could get sticky. The MDX is a very reliable car and should keep humming down the road for 200K+ miles easily. I'd skip their warranty.

Thanks for all the replies. Im not seeing to many that would suggest going back to the dealer for the servicing.. that's helps this decision along a lot.

Trick question.

When they say anything that the oil touches, does that include failure that is not due to the oil? (i.e. bad casting that doesn't show up early, head gasket, etc)

Most of the thing oil touches are reliable. It is the cooling system and poor designs that kills powertrain these days.

The likelihood of you needing a warranty repair are really remote. I wouldn't spend all that money at the dealer for the miniscule chance that something breaks and than the pretty high chance of them weaseling their way out of the repair via the small print.

Since you didn't purchase the car from an Acura dealer, I don't really see the benefit of servicing it at a Chevrolet dealer.
I'd pass on their "warranty" and deal with an Acura dealer, or better yet, find a good independent who specializes in the marque.

I looked at the warranty (I do have a signed copy) It is for the lifetime that I own the automobile.. in short it says, Engine, tranny, both differentials, anything that is internally lubricated, as long as I let them do the servicing then if something were to fail they cover it as long as all the service was performed by them. So I called the shop manager and asked her when my servicing needs done... She was completely clueless..

Ive already determined that we will likely keep this machine for 7 to 10 years at max before we trade it, I can easily service and likely with more attention to detail than them. So that what I will do. I looked at the oil last night and its clearly new, however the DW1 transmission fluid looked older (not bad just older) so I will likely do three quarts in the next week or two and get that started. I will wait till fall and do the differentials and the transfer case at around 50,000 miles.

I would pass. If this arrangement worked out better for you than for the dealer, they wouldn't offer it. Plus it being a Chevy and not Acura dealer is significant. and there's all the hassle of many dealer trips and arranging alternate transportation, etc. Plus these kind of warranties always seem to have wiggle room that works against you. If you are capable of doing the work, as you say you are, I would pass for sure.

Cabin air filter is probably original. I would change it.

The transfer case and rear differential have likely never been changed either. I would get those changed ASAP and not wait til 50K miles. The rear differential has a 7500 mile change interval (!!!) when used in hilly mountainous terrain, which tells me that Acura REALLY thinks that the condition of the fluid is important in it. I can't think of any other car in America that has such a short change interval for a rear differential.

I think 7500 for the first change and then every 15k after that, if driven in severe conditions.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Cabin air filter is probably original. I would change it.

The transfer case and rear differential have likely never been changed either. I would get those changed ASAP and not wait til 50K miles. The rear differential has a 7500 mile change interval (!!!) when used in hilly mountainous terrain, which tells me that Acura REALLY thinks that the condition of the fluid is important in it. I can't think of any other car in America that has such a short change interval for a rear differential.

You can always split the difference. Let the dealer service it for a year or so until you have confidence in the vehicle... if you also gain confidence in the dealer, all the better, if not you can go it on your own.

You can make the call at any time to break off dealer service, but you can't go back and pick up that warranty again.

I agree with HangFire, try the dealer service for a year or so. If you feel they are doing good job at reasonable cost then continue, if not stop going there and DIY.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
You can always split the difference. Let the dealer service it for a year or so until you have confidence in the vehicle... if you also gain confidence in the dealer, all the better, if not you can go it on your own.

You can make the call at any time to break off dealer service, but you can't go back and pick up that warranty again.

^^^ this

I have serious doubts that a CHEVY dealer is going to service an Acura with the correct, available only from Acura fluids. They would have to physically send someone down to the Acura dealer with a credit card to get the correct fluids.

I have serious doubts that a CHEVY dealer is going to service an Acura with the correct, available only from Acura fluids. They would have to physically send someone down to the Acura dealer with a credit card to get the correct fluids.

It's done all the time, and the correct fluids can be had from any Honda dealer, not just Acura. They have access to Alldata, they'll be OK. If I was the owner I would just make sure they understand they were to use Honda fluids only, except the motor oil of course.

I'd tend to agree; a conscientious dealer would use the proper Honda fluids, but I suspect that more than a few Chevy dealers would use whatever they already have. Heck, my Chevy dealer found it too difficult to service a Chevrolet in a proficient manner...

This is great feedback guys and Hangfire you truly got me thinking about this, As a "new to us, but used car" The warranty is important.. Id like to gain trust in the car before I just completely throw away the warranty.. Very good point.. once I see that ive got a solid automobile for the wife I can start doing these services myself. I called the Honda dealer last night to confirm that they do have all fluids needed. & they do. Considering this machine calls for the first driveline services at 7,500 miles and then every 15,000 miles after that.. im putting a lot of faith in the past owner that these services were performed. id think a minium of 1 year of dealer services to prove this things not going to explode in a month or two is probably very wise...

I'm with Hokiefyd on this. You got to weight the pros/cons. If it was an actual Honda dealer, I'd probably go with it for the piece of mind, as others have said, and added insurance blanket. Parts can get really expensive quickly. One thing I'd check....if something was to fail and you made a claim, is labor included or just parts? Say new engine, but you pay labor, that can get $$$$$$. When we bought our CRV last year, the Honda dealer had something similar.....when the OLM comes on, bring it to them and they will change the oil/filter for free and guarantee the engine for as long as we own the car, no mileage limit. So for the first time in my life, I'm letting the dealer to it because that is saving me some serious coin.

I called Chevy today and had a long talk with them, I told them id like them at least for the first year to do the service as I want the warranty intact, However I told them without question that I would bring them the proper fluids from Honda/Acura so I was assured the correct products were going to go into the car. (they agreed) and even stated "that's a good idea, because mistakes do happen". So ill likely give it a year, let them do a full service (and ill consider that $$ me just buying my annual warranty)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back