Chevrolet rant

My 2020 Chevy Silverado RST developed a transmission shudder last week. I called the dealership and they asked how many miles I had on the truck. Told them 52k. Oh, you needed to do a 45k transmission service. Do that and it'll be okay, and the service will be $850. WAIT A MINUTE!!! The 45k interval is for severe service. My truck has never been in severe service and none of the severe service parameters laid out in the owner's manual apply to my truck. I've hauled a small enclosed trailer 400 miles roundtrip, and had the 4WD engaged probably three times in the three years I've had it.

My 2020 Chevy Silverado RST developed a transmission shudder last week. I called the dealership and they asked how many miles I had on the truck. Told them 52k. Oh, you needed to do a 45k transmission service. Do that and it'll be okay, and the service will be $850. WAIT A MINUTE!!! The 45k interval is for severe service. My truck has never been in severe service and none of the severe service parameters laid out in the owner's manual apply to my truck. I've hauled a small enclosed trailer 400 miles roundtrip, and had the 4WD engaged probably three times in the three years I've had it.
Going rate for a transmission service should not exceed $400.00. Ask for a written quote before the service. Should be interesting.

Does "severe" fall under the stop and go city driving, short trips, etc? Not necessarily hauling heavy loads.

@rainman49 I would absolutely let the dealer service the trans much sooner than later. Get everything documented now, who you talk to, what they say, time of call etc. Heck, if you live in a state with single-party consent, get a digital voice recorder and record the phone calls from speakerphone.

GM is fully aware of their trasmission issues, and as stated earlier, would like to push you past your warranty period.

Sidenote.....was talking to a friend with a similar issue, we were hearing from a slightly unreliable source so take it for what it's worth, but do these transmissions have their issues with the fluid type, and or converter problems from the fluid? Was the fluid formulation changed during the model run?

today poor service + price gouging are the norm for dealerships unfortunately!! i will never buy anything new + save the money as needed for my older, simpler rides that get cared for from me + my local honest indie!!

today poor service + price gouging are the norm for dealerships unfortunately!! i will never buy anything new + save the money as needed for my older, simpler rides that get cared for from me + my local honest indie!!

You can buy new and not have anything but oil changes for the first 100,000 miles if one desires. New vehciles are bttter than they ever have been.
Nothing personal-it's a lot easier to nurse a beater in your part of the country than out West.
Just a little perspective.

You can be on roads out here with no cell service for a 100plus miles-and never pass another car.

There is a builtin about that somewhere.
Different fluid wil fix the problem, they just want it to be on your dime not there's
Chevy I know will do it under 36k, buddy at work had same issue

Back