Brand new car with same oil for 5 years?? Go for it or no?

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a used VW Golf 1.0 TSi 2018 from a private person. He bought it last year from a VW dealer with 1300km. Now the car has 10K km. I also requested a CarVertical report for the car, and I found 2 records for the odometer. 270 km on 2022 and 1300 km on 2023.

Although I don't get how the dealer can have a car for 5 years with 1000 km (I will contact the dealer and will ask), I strongly believe that the engine had the same oil, until 2023 where the dealer did a service before sold it, even if the dealer may tell me that oil changes had been regurarly done.

If I'm right and the car had the same engine oil for 4-5 years, what could cause to the engine running for 1300km with that oil? Excessive wear maybe? Is there any way to find out?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Maybe you are right dumkid. The car until 2023 was at the dealer. These 1300km were done by the dealer at 2022. Until 2022 the car was just sitting.

So, I got the digital service history from the VW dealer. Officially, it shows one oil change after four years (2022) with 386 km on the odometer. He also told us that an additional oil change was done on the second year (2020) but due to a system problem it's not visible.....to be honest I just don't believe the latter one.

It should be goog.Haggle on a good price.When you get it,start yourself on a good oil analysis program.Their is a recent discussion here.I use Oil Analysis, thru the Amsoil Site sent to Polaris Labs with great results

So, I got the digital service history from the VW dealer. Officially, it shows one oil change after four years (2022) with 386 km on the odometer. He also told us that an additional oil change was done on the second year (2020) but due to a system problem it's not visible.....to be honest I just don't believe the latter one.
Elsa pro, the VAG workshop system does, about 4-5 times a year at least, have issues that stop us recording service events onto it. If it is missing from VMS then ask them to send a manual update request so that all the services it has had are shown.

Rather than the oil change history I would be interested to know why the dealer had it in stock for such a long time, even the branded loan cars arnt ran for more than 3 years and would have had far more miles driven.

Elsa pro, the VAG workshop system does, about 4-5 times a year at least, have issues that stop us recording service events onto it. If it is missing from VMS then ask them to send a manual update request so that all the services it has had are shown.

Rather than the oil change history I would be interested to know why the dealer had it in stock for such a long time, even the branded loan cars arnt ran for more than 3 years and would have had far more miles driven.
I'm also very curious to know why this car had been in the dealer for 5 years. But the dealer told me that it's not sure that they can tell that to me, even if I take it to them for a technical check before buying it!!!! Crazy stuff, but it is what it is!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
Yeah I wouldn’t believe that either. The oil (time vs mileage) isn’t so concerning in this instance.
The dealership having it for 5 years and barely using it is something I find odd.
Thera no good reason why they can’t tell you the reason or use they kept it for.
They apparently don’t want to say. That for me would be a deal breaker.

I'm also very curious to know why this car had been in the dealer for 5 years. But the dealer told me that it's not sure that they can tell that to me, even if I take it to them for a technical check before buying it!!!! Crazy stuff, but it is what it is!!
Is it some odd option package or configuration to this VW that no one wanted it? Really weird that it sat during COVID when everything was in short supply and selling like crazy.

Is it some odd option package or configuration to this VW that no one wanted it? Really weird that it sat during COVID when everything was in short supply and selling like crazy.
The only "weird" thing on it is the color I would say. It's like the racing green that was used for Golf R. But I don't think it's a negative factor. Like the following.

1708971411457.jpg

Hard to believe that car has that low of usage, especially with the shortage of cars during the virus the Chinese sent over. I would like to know more history about it like..........some old lady had it or the person ended up overseas in the military.

Back