Chevrolet rant

My 2020 Chevy Silverado RST developed a transmission shudder last week. I called the dealership and they asked how many miles I had on the truck. Told them 52k. Oh, you needed to do a 45k transmission service. Do that and it'll be okay, and the service will be $850. WAIT A MINUTE!!! The 45k interval is for severe service. My truck has never been in severe service and none of the severe service parameters laid out in the owner's manual apply to my truck. I've hauled a small enclosed trailer 400 miles roundtrip, and had the 4WD engaged probably three times in the three years I've had it.
There is a class action lawsuit on this, I got a letter in the mail a litte while back for my 2020 HD. Also, it is likely you were in "severe service".

I have wondered why all of a sudden, service intervals went from 100k under severe to 30k, same tranny, same fluid.........$ and BS. They want to bleed every dime and own you forever. Many are having issues with torque converters all of a sudden, kind of like it was planned. Honda Toyota GM Ford.....

"Well our new EV does not have a torque converter or a transmission, you should get one of those instead, come on in!"

Last edited:
MYC/MYD is 6L80E/6L90E
Thats even more surprising, those transmissions have been around a while I thought they were pretty well sorted out.
I had a Caddy in my shop with the 8 speed shuddering and I did the tsb (dropping the pan three times and refill with 21 qts M1 LS fluid) and it fixed it. That car had all sorts of problems…..the overflow coolant hose developed a leak, antifreeze dripped on the the PCM connectors and got into the terminals. Corroded two ign coil control terminals for two cylinders making it misfire. Then once I got it sorted out the PCM threw a P0420 code, needed a cat (because of the misfiring). Then a week or so later it was towed in for a no start.… the PCM was a no response (I suspect the coolant got in there too). Poor guy spent some money. GM didn’t want to hear it, an 83,000 mile one owner ATS.
Everyone is building junk these days, I’m disgusted with everything out there lately. Even my Toyota….three years old, 53,000 miles and I had to buy two blind spot monitors to the tune of 1800.00 dollars.

Thats even more surprising, those transmissions have been around a while I thought they were pretty well sorted out.
I had a Caddy in my shop with the 8 speed shuddering and I did the tsb (dropping the pan three times and refill with 21 qts M1 LS fluid) and it fixed it. That car had all sorts of problems…..the overflow coolant hose developed a leak, antifreeze dripped on the the PCM connectors and got into the terminals. Corroded two ign coil control terminals for two cylinders making it misfire. Then once I got it sorted out the PCM threw a P0420 code, needed a cat (because of the misfiring). Then a week or so later it was towed in for a no start.… the PCM was a no response (I suspect the coolant got in there too). Poor guy spent some money. GM didn’t want to hear it, an 83,000 mile one owner ATS.
Everyone is building junk these days, I’m disgusted with everything out there lately. Even my Toyota….three years old, 53,000 miles and I had to buy two blind spot monitors to the tune of 1800.00 dollars.

6L80E/6L90E TCC failure became far more widespread on '14 & up trucks...Especially trucks/SUV's with AFM.

If you drive an 8 speed RWD GM product and are not following the severe schedule with whatever the latest spec is (or more/earlier changes), you're rolling the dice. With all the info out there about the 8 speed from the class action it is plain to see that GM isn't going to build a reliable 8 speed from the factory until the 'Gen2' unit, which is I think 2023 and later. Even with all the updates over the years to the first gen model, it appears they still have endless problems out of them.

Some of these comments are outright silly and non sensical on here. OK-you don't like GM-we get it. Since people who made comments won't answer my question-I will do the math-The bailout was like in 2009-so that's 15 years ago. Based on the comments-I don't know if some who commented on here have the business acumen to even understand or begin to debate whether it was the right call or not.
So if you don't................

Dealer is trying to cash in on you, plain and simple. Grab the fluid and go somewhere else (though you mentioned that)

Even being a GM guy, i wouldn’t touch anything 8 speed pre 2023 myself….

I’ve watch friends who are techs (almost all brands) that just lease cars now. They say most cars are junk long term now…especially after covid

If you drive an 8 speed RWD GM product and are not following the severe schedule with whatever the latest spec is (or more/earlier changes), you're rolling the dice. With all the info out there about the 8 speed from the class action it is plain to see that GM isn't going to build a reliable 8 speed from the factory until the 'Gen2' unit, which is I think 2023 and later. Even with all the updates over the years to the first gen model, it appears they still have endless problems out of them.

Gen 2 is not much better, hence the recall for the Colorado and Caynon (new models)

Wouldn’t it be 3rd now …?
Mobil developed fluid for the 8 speed issue …
Yes, but the fluid wasn't the only fix. By GM's own admission, the friction system was garbage and would have still crapped out early.

The 'Gen 2' unit was supposed to have a pile of updates. Friction system, valve bodies, etc.

1706930298111.jpg

1706930357996.jpg

The new GM trucks look nice. I’ll leave it right there. The dealership is jerking you around.

I've decided to keep my GM friend card unplayed and will get my independent shop (not inexpensive but trusted) to do the transmission service for $565. That fluid is expensive! I'll update after the service this Thursday.

Update, my trusted independent shop did the transmission service, and I'm happy to report the shudder is gone and it's shifting like buttah! He told me he added a BG friction modifier and LubeGuard.

Back