Chevrolet rant

it seems GM will always play the Severe Service card when something like this occurs...you will pay for the transmission service under the severe service schedule and should the shuddering continue, they will pay for the next service hoping the service you pay for cures the issue as they will use the fluid recommended for the fix...situation stinks but I predict this will be your outcome...

good luck with your truck

Bill

Just looked at the owners manual. For gas a truck in 2020 it does not specify severe service. It is like the last 2 Chevy trucks I have owned. Every 45,000 miles. Maybe your manual says something different, but this is directly from the 2020 owners manual. A fluid exchange from the dealer is anywhere from 300 to 400 dollars. Fairly typical. That does not include dropping the pan and replacing the filter. However that sounds excessive. Find a different dealer.

service.jpg

Last edited:
Just looked at the owners manual. For gas a truck in 2020 it does not specify sever service. It is like the last 2 Chevy trucks I have owned. Every 45,000 miles. Maybe your manual says something different, but this is directly from the 2020 owners manual. A fluid exchange from the dealer is anywhere from 300 to 400 dollars. Fairly typical. That does not include dropping the pan and replacing the filter. However that sounds excessive. Find a different dealer.

View attachment 200998
Long time GM LT/SUV owner - IMO, Living where I do is severe service and I find pan drops messy - but not hard …

Long time GM LT/SUV owner - IMO, Living where I do is severe service and I find pan drops messy - but not hard …
Nope, but when I had put the deep pan on the Caprice I had the dealer do an exchange, not a flush. With labor and the fluid it was 328.00. I then went home added a dipstick, new filter, Camaro deep pan and topped it off. That was at about 55,000 miles. I am 90,000 now the fluid is still cherry red.

If it's the 8 speed (8l45 or 8l90), changing it at the severe service interval is a good idea. They don't fail often, but the shudder will come back. Very sensitive to specific ATF now used. If you wait the TC will end up having to be replaced. GM should be covering it though.

Got a friend who works for GM in the Southeast region working on it. Hopefully, we can resolve this. But may have my trusted indy shop do the transmission flush if Chevy doesn't agree to do it for free.

Got a friend who works for GM in the Southeast region working on it. Hopefully, we can resolve this. But may have my trusted indy shop do the transmission flush if Chevy doesn't agree to do it for free.
Wonder if the fluid that is speced for the transmission is the best fit for it.

It is not required to have a Chev dealer do fluid changes, to maintain the warranty.
Just keep the paper work to prove it was done. And only use the correct fluid, not a this meets the spec fluid.
Using different fluid gives them more excuses to deny the warranty.

Let me fix my previous statement. The truck has Severe and Normal, but Transmission Fluid is only covered under Severe.
Either way the fluid is a 45,000 mile service. The guy I work with has the 8 speed, we got to talking about this. He had his serviced and the shudder stopped. What he was told was the originally speced fluid retained too much moisture. He has not has the shudder since. His dealer charged him for the cost of the fluid and filter. 300 dollars.

Back