New Honda Replacement Lawn Mower ?

Now that Honda UNFORTUNATELY is getting out of the USA lawn mower business - what will be your next new lawn mower if you can no longer buy a Honda ?

Any commercial grade lawn mower. I have a commercial Honda now and the wife likes it . I do not put much thought into a lawn mower other than not buying a bottom end mower.

The Toro Recycler line is very good. I have one with a B&S engine that has been fantastic. I believe they are made in the US. The same company owns Lawn Boy, and I understand they make a quality product as well.

The Toro Recycler line is very good. I have one with a B&S engine that has been fantastic. I believe they are made in the US. The same company owns Lawn Boy, and I understand they make a quality product as well.

Thought I once noticed Toro Personal Pace models at the Home Depot being assembled en Mexico.

Snapper makes a commercial mower with a big commercial duty Briggs engine with an oil filter for $899 for the mulcher unit.
Ball bearing wheels, the ole reliable disc drive, V shaped handle which is more natural than the straight bars most mowers have.
However, Snapper makes these mowers to excel what they are intended and sold for. Like the Hi-Vac model having a different bottom edge than the mulching version so it can bag like no other.

Cute little oil filter!

SNP_CommNinja_FB_CommercialGrade.jpg

The Toro Super Recycler aluminum deck RWD mowers. They come with a B&S engine or a Honda engine for a few dollars more. I have one that is 29 years old and it is used the year around where I live.

Honda won't make their lawn mowers anymore, but they seem to be staying in the engine business, so just get any mower with a Honda engine. Anything with a GCV OHC engine is good. Harbor Freight's Predator engines are a copy of the OHV GXV, supposedly so close that genuine Honda parts are interchangeable with the counterfeit Predator's parts.

Actually, I just got an electric lawn mower. It is awesome! Besides not having to buy gas for it, the real benefit is that it's so much quieter :D

You can get a basic cordless lawn mower for well under $200, and that includes the battery.

My Honda mower is ok, but I'm envious of how quiet our neighbour's cordless electric mower is. I'll probably end up in a seniors' home before I need to replace the Honda mower.
I have to lube the Honda's rear axle bushings a couple of times per season, or it won't roll backwards. Kind of annoying considering what the thing cost.

Thought I once noticed Toro Personal Pace models at the Home Depot being assembled en Mexico.

Snapper makes a commercial mower with a big commercial duty Briggs engine with an oil filter for $899 for the mulcher unit.
Ball bearing wheels, the ole reliable disc drive, V shaped handle which is more natural than the straight bars most mowers have.
However, Snapper makes these mowers to excel what they are intended and sold for. Like the Hi-Vac model having a different bottom edge than the mulching version so it can bag like no other.

Cute little oil filter!

View attachment 130788
I used to have one of these. Hands down, the best walk behind mower made.

Hands down, the best walk behind mower made.
I respectfully beg to differ. ;) My 1998 John Deere JX 75 mowers with the 6 hp Kawasaki 179cc motor is tough to beat. Pressure lubed engine with oil filter, aluminum deck, blade brake clutch, Tuff Torq 5 speed transmission and after 24 years it still starts on the first pull. Knowing they haven’t been in production for over 20 years, I bought a nice used one last year as a backup, just in case. The only negative is that they still weigh 100 lbs even with the aluminum deck.86FC1979-1AC0-45E3-92AB-68F43B004120.jpeg7767FA1E-BBBF-4642-965B-0CA473B8930F.jpeg

my honda HRX hydrostatic drive rear bagger is prolly 15 yrs old + still great + i was mowing 4 lawns weekly years ago!!

I respectfully beg to differ. ;) My 1998 John Deere JX 75 mowers with the 6 hp Kawasaki 179cc motor is tough to beat. Pressure lubed engine with oil filter, aluminum deck, blade brake clutch, Tuff Torq 5 speed transmission and after 24 years it still starts on the first pull. Knowing they haven’t been in production for over 20 years, I bought a nice used one last year as a backup, just in case. The only negative is that they still weigh 100 lbs even with the aluminum deck.View attachment 130807View attachment 130806
John Deere made some great lawnmowers for many years, but at some point around 2008 the manufacturer that supplied their mower decks stopped producing them. I was talking to a Deere dealer about this back in 2010 or so. He said JD started putting their badge and green paint on another manufacturer's mower (MTD?), and the quality took a huge nosedive. This dealer said he sold several of these rebadged mowers but had so many complaints and warranty issues that he quit selling them. He started recommending Toro mowers to homeowners.

I had a JD before the Honda, it was a good mower, but not as nice as the Honda (also not as expensive) it was one of the later ones, had a Briggs on it and the only problem i ever had was a leaky fuel tank.

It may have been manufactured by MTD and was a HD special but it was a good mower.

John Deere made some great lawnmowers for many years, but at some point around 2008 the manufacturer that supplied their mower decks stopped producing them. I was talking to a Deere dealer about this back in 2010 or so. He said JD started putting their badge and green paint on another manufacturer's mower (MTD?), and the quality took a huge nosedive. This dealer said he sold several of these rebadged mowers but had so many complaints and warranty issues that he quit selling them. He started recommending Toro mowers to homeowners.
Those repainted mowers were Husqvarna steel deck mowers.

Cute little oil filter!

View attachment 130788
Running a mid 00's Snapper, not a commercial model but a beast nonetheless.

I have 5 years on my Toro Personal Pace with a Honda 160 GCV. Realistically I’ll have it for another 15 years at which time gasoline powered mowers will be a thing of the past. “Tell us another one Grandpa. “

Last edited:
Back