Selecting a new gas mower for residential use

I will soon be in the market for a new lawn mower. Not a lot of choices out there for a gas mower I see. Troybilt or Toro. Considering they both have Briggs engines are we looking at same reliability for a self propelled version ? It seems I'm too late for the Honda route. Husqvarna makes a pretty nice mower even though it's up there in price. I want something that will last a good long time. What do you guys use ?

I will soon be in the market for a new lawn mower. Not a lot of choices out there for a gas mower I see. Troybilt or Toro. Considering they both have Briggs engines are we looking at same reliability for a self propelled version ? It seems I'm too late for the Honda route. Husqvarna makes a pretty nice mower even though it's up there in price. I want something that will last a good long time. What do you guys use ?
You might still have an opportunity to grab a Honda mower before they are all gone in another month or two.

ACME Tools - Honda Mower

It seems to me it depends upon your geographical location. Some areas are barely selling gas and pushing electric while others are the polar opposite. I've had a good experience with a medium level Honda gas mower. It's been hammered with a rocky place and 2 teenage kids running it for years. Honda engine and Mobil 0-40 seems to be a jackpot.

When I recently had to replace my 2011 Honda (someone who shall not be named hit a tree stump and bent the crank so it vibrated RIP) with a Toro Personal Pace RWD as it's just a trim mower. So far so good, starts right up and cannot ask for more from it. Trim mow (under trees and where the 54" cub doesn't fit) 2.5 acres and it does it pretty much on a full tank. I will admit if it was a primary mower, I'd try to find a Honda again as the personal pace function is much prefered over the Toro in my opinion. Toro's is klunky and awkard if turning around to go back and forth a lot.

Honda. 😂. j/k not sure if they are for sale again or not.

I do like my 2021 and hope it lasts…

Toro Recycler Personal Pace RWD. The Briggs engine is better than the Chonda.

No other consumer grade propelled system is as robust. Lots (and I mean lots) of lawn services run these commercially.
Do the commercial services run the red recycler version or the black super recycler? There is something nice about an aluminum deck, though for the units I might consider, the 21465 recycler and 21565 super recycler which have the same features, they both weigh the same.

Stupid question - do these reverse easily?

Do the commercial services run the red recycler version or the black super recycler? There is something nice about an aluminum deck, though for the units I might consider, the 21465 recycler and 21565 super recycler which have the same features, they both weigh the same.

Around here the commercial services tend to use Toro's Heavy-Duty 21" aluminum deck Commercial Recyclers. I sold LOTS of them. They are expensive and heavy but they hold-up better than anything else. They don't generally use the homeowner grade models because they don't last very long in commercial service and end-up costing them more in the long run.
For homeowner use, the black 21" aluminum deck Super Recycler will last longer and cut/mulch noticeably better than the 22" steel deck Recycler, but, they have become very expensive. They pull back easily because Toro has put one-way clutches on the ends of the RWD drive shaft.

The black deck is only something that came out in recent years. The commercial guys use the super recycler with the aluminum deck. They do reverse easily, and if it stops reversing easily, a simple cable adjustment right on the handle bar will fix it.

Most are red recycler 22"

Yeah they have a sprag clutch on each wheel. Rolls backward without ratcheting.

Around here the commercial services tend to use Toro's Heavy-Duty 21" aluminum deck Commercial Recyclers. I sold LOTS of them. They are expensive and heavy but they hold-up better than anything else. They don't generally use the homeowner grade models because they don't last very long in commercial service and end-up costing them more in the long run.
For homeowner use, the black 21" aluminum deck Super Recycler will last longer and cut/mulch noticeably better than the 22" steel deck Recycler, but, they have become very expensive. They pull back easily because Toro has put one-way clutches on the ends of the RWD drive shaft.

For reference what models of the heavy duty are popular? Is the consumer black deck aluminum super model the same deck as the HD consumer model? Just a different engine??

I went to see the regular version at HD today. Noticed that it isn’t US made. I thought they were.

IMG_6660.jpeg
IMG_6661.jpeg

Is the super or commercial version us made? I thought I saw in their materials that they build mowers in the USA. Even the cheap Murray mower at HD made that claim….

Last edited:
For reference what models of the heavy duty are popular? Is the consumer black deck aluminum super model the same deck as the HD consumer model? Just a different engine??

I went to see the regular version at HD today. Noticed that it isn’t US made. I thought they were.

Is the super or commercial version us made? I thought I saw in their materials that they build mowers in the USA. Even the cheap Murray mower at HD made that claim….
The two commercial models that are the most popular are the zone start 3-speed RWD self propelled with either a Honda or Kawasaki engine (22295 & 22297). They are expensive. Are you sitting down? $2000. Frankly, the mower is massive overkill for a homeowner.
The deck is different than the black homeowner 21" Super Recycler deck. It is MUCH thicker and a different aluminum alloy, it is reinforced with with steel wear plates on both sides, has an engine protection bumper, and has a steel crankshaft protector. The handles and mounting hardware, wheel mounting hardware, and height adjusters are all much heavier. The 9"x2" wheels have rubber tires with ball bearings. The entire mower is MUCH heavier. The transmission and drive system is Toro's outstanding Heavy Duty belt drive 3-speed that is legendary for it's durability. I never had to rebuild one.
The Kawasaki FJ180V engine is a 179cc OHV full pressure lube engine with oil filter, steel sleeve, and 1" forged steel crankshaft supported by ball bearings. The Honda GXV160 engine has similar specs but is a 163cc OHV with splash lubrication. Both have 1 gal fuel tanks.
The commercial mowers are manufactured in the USA, so are the black homeowner 21" Super Recyclers. The steel deck 22" Recyclers are manufactured in Mexico (IMO by MTD but nobody is willing to fess up to this).

Last edited:
The two commercial models that are the most popular are the zone start 3-speed RWD self propelled with either a Honda or Kawasaki engine (22295 & 22297). They are expensive. Are you sitting down? $2000. Frankly, the mower is massive overkill for a homeowner.
The deck is different than the black homeowner 21" Super Recycler deck. It is MUCH thicker and a different aluminum alloy, it is reinforced with with steel wear plates on both sides, has an engine protection bumper, and has a steel crankshaft protector. The handles and mounting hardware, wheel mounting hardware, and height adjusters are all much heavier. The 9"x2" wheels have rubber tires with ball bearings. The entire mower is MUCH heavier. The transmission and drive system is Toro's outstanding Heavy Duty belt drive 3-speed that is legendary for it's durability. I never had to rebuild one.
The Kawasaki FJ180V engine is a 179cc OHV full pressure lube engine with oil filter, steel sleeve, and 1" forged steel crankshaft supported by ball bearings. The Honda GXV160 engine has similar specs but is a 163cc OHV with splash lubrication. Both have 1 gal fuel tanks.
The commercial mowers are manufactured in the USA, so are the black homeowner 21" Super Recyclers. The steel deck 22" Recyclers are manufactured in Mexico (IMO by MTD but nobody is willing to fess up to this).
Man as a lover of overkill I would love that kawasaki engine but I think a Toro 21564 would suffice for me. I just dont like a plastic carb.

I have a Snapper 21" HiVac and would recommend that mower if you want a sturdy mower with a large engine and decently priced. My only complaint with the mower is the engine governor needed adjustment from new to get the rpms to 3600 and it cuts like a dream now.

You don’t want a Honda. Toro Personal Pace is the best.

Back