Just purchased an EGO mower, any experience?

I have been considering a new mower for a while since the transmission in my gas Honda push mower went out prematurely a few years ago. I have been taking care of my mother in laws lawn since she had surgery and is currently unable to do so. She has a Ryobi 40V electric mower that I have been enjoying using. I never thought I could consider electric but after using hers I think the pros might outweigh the cons. I went ahead and purchased a 40v 21" EGO self propelled model as Lowes is having a sale. Run time is listed at 60 minutes, which for me likely won't be enough to cut my lawn. An additional battery is a cool $400 and I'm not ready to invest that much yet. I'll just have to break up the lawn into two sections and change in between if needed. Do any of you have experience with the EGO mowers? I can always return and go a different route but reviews seem to be good and the price was good as well.

My son bought one within the past month. He likes it.... In his case, between the size of his yard and the battery life, he said the 1st mow only used ~30% of the battery. The price of add'l batteries is outrageous.

He has all Milwaukee tools and I'm surprised he didn't get a Milwaukee mower but if I'm not mistaken, they're about $1100 and run off of (2) batteries.

No info on EGO but mowing my yard in sections is the very reason I am not ready for an electric mower. My daughter bought one three years ago (not a EGO) that at first she was able to mow her whole yard in one session, but now takes a recharge to complete.

My son bought one within the past month. He likes it.... In his case, between the size of his yard and the battery life, he said the 1st mow only used ~30% of the battery. The price of add'l batteries is outrageous.
I've been curious about that. Do you happen to know about what a spare battery pack runs for these electric mowers?

My wife just bought a cordless vacuum that runs off a 4 amp battery pack. The whole vacuum with all the attachments, and one 4 amp battery pack cost $150.00. An extra 4 amp battery pack costs $95.00. Ridiculous.

No info on EGO but mowing my yard in sections is the very reason I am not ready for an electric mower. My daughter bought one three years ago (not a EGO) that at first she was able to mow her whole yard in one session, but now takes a recharge to complete.
That would be my fear with battery powered mowers. Like most of these battery powered tools, the more often they get recharged, the less that charge lasts. Pretty soon you notice you're down to 50% or less of the original charge life.

I'm seeing that with my older cell phone, and several other battery powered drills, tools, and the like. Lithium Ion batteries gradually deteriorate with each and every charge.

That would be yet another major concern I would have with EV's. Where is that "450 mile advertised range" going to end up in 4 or 5 years, and God knows how many recharges?

That would be my fear with battery powered mowers. Like most of these battery powered tools, the more often they get recharged, the less that charge lasts. Pretty soon you notice you're down to 50% or less of the original charge life.

I'm seeing that with my older cell phone, and several other battery powered drills, tools, and the like. Lithium Ion batteries gradually deteriorate with each and every charge.

That would be yet another major concern I would have with EV's. Where is that "450 mile advertised range" going to end up in 4 or 5 years, and God knows how many recharges?

An EV mostly charged off Level1/2 not so much DCFC and with proper thermal management and battery management (so, not a Nissan Leaf) 4/5 years is no problem. My Volt is 8 and has the same battery capacity as it did new.

EGO makes a decent mower. If you keep your lawn well manicured, the electric mower will work good. They do not work as well as their gasoline counterparts in taller thicker lawns.

Only EGO products I've had has been 2 of the blowers and they've been fantastic/long lasting. EGO also seems to have a rather good warranty system if any issues arise. If they'd make a cordless air compressor I'd jump on that as well as I imagine it'd be killer compared to what's currently available.

No experience with EGO….. my Greenworks mower with two 4A batteries does a great job cutting 1/3 acre.

Much better mower than I expected. (y)

*** Edit ***

I purchased a spare 4A battery for $117 so I can finish the yard during the rainy season when the grass grows like crazy.

Last edited:
I've been curious about that. Do you happen to know about what a spare battery pack runs for these electric mowers?

My wife just bought a cordless vacuum that runs off a 4 amp battery pack. The whole vacuum with all the attachments, and one 4 amp battery pack cost $150.00. An extra 4 amp battery pack costs $95.00. Ridiculous.

Per the O.P.:

"I went ahead and purchased a 40v 21" EGO self propelled model as Lowes is having a sale. Run time is listed at 60 minutes, which for me likely won't be enough to cut my lawn. An additional battery is a cool $400 and I'm not ready to invest that much yet."

I purchased the EGO LM2150SP 3 years ago which was on sale from Lowe’s. My prior mowers were 2 Toro personal pace mowers over a 20 year period.

observations:
lightweight - Best feature for me because I’m constantly navigating around bushes, trees, and other edges of the grass.
mulching - good job, dual blade.
Cut precision - not as good as the toro. I notice individual blades of grass here and there that are not the same height as others. I’m okay with that.
battery reliability - I’m on my second battery. EGO replaced the first one under warranty after some attempts at troubleshooting over the phone. They will stand behind the warranty but it is not extended when the battery is replaced. Please make sure you register the mower.
battery care - I let the battery cool before recharging, I store it in a safe, dry, cool location at < 40% charge during the winter. Lithium ion technology requires some due diligence.
battery charge - I can completely mow the lawn with 20% charge left. If I couldn’t that would be a deal breaker.
Misc - I’ve had a minor annoyance with one of the rear wheels intermittently locking up while trying to turn the mower. I greased the gears and no longer store it upright in the shed which has significantly reduced the lock up frequency.

In summary, the jury is still out. Will the battery last another 7 years with minimal degradation, time will tell.

Yes, always let battery cool before recharging.

Also don’t have battery in charger and forget about it. I set alarm to remind me to remove from charger after an hour.

If I was going battery I would buy the one with the cheapest batteries which is probably Ryobi 40V. You can buy their 40V tools with battery and then sell the tool to get a cheaper battery by the way.

I have trouble believing that people pay a $1000+ for a push mower. Bought on clearance a pretty nice rider which has been dependable for $600. Push for a $1000+, ride for $600, Mmmm no brainer. I still use a push mower but it is for the slopes only that I bought 20 years ago for $139

My mom has an Ego for her small Phoenix lot. Nice machine but I would be worried with battery replacement cost and run time for a larger lot as the OP pointed out. Nearly 20 year old Snapper still running well on maybe a carb rebuild and belt/drive pulley replacement, all in for around $1-200.

My only concern with both my own and the experience my customers have had with them isn't anything related to the quality of the mower, but the battery life. I have a few that have gone back to gas because they noticed they couldn't do their whole yard in one shot without buying additional batteries a year or so later.

My advice would be either plan for purchasing additional batteries if you enjoy the mower, plan on mowing the lawn taking longer with charging breaks (not a bad thing in summer), or try mowing more frequently so the grass won't be as thick and you can cut faster with less load.

The customers I have that have gone electric and stayed with it for their lawn equipment have bought multiple batteries and equipment that shares the same platform. So a DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Toro based platform for their equipment.

The cost of a decent electric mower scares me off. I’m not paying that much to cut grass. It’s grass. I don’t loose sleep over my lawn. I just keep running my Craftsman lawnmower. I have a small lawn so electric would be perfect. It only takes me 10 minutes to cut my lawn.

Also don’t have battery in charger and forget about it. I set alarm to remind me to remove from charger after an hour.
Doesn't the charger for these things automatically shut off when the battery reaches full charge?

All of the chargers for my battery powered tools shut off as soon as they reach full charge, and the light changes from flashing green to solid green.

I've got the Ego weed trimmer and Ego 2-stage snow blower.No issues with either tool. When our Craftsman gas lawn tractor is retired, I'll be purchasing the Ego 56v riding mower.

Take care of the tools,they will take care of you.

Back