New highway car?

My mother has a 2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (supercharged 3800) That is the most comfortable road car I have ever driven. Son of a gun gets 28 MPG going 80 MPH w/the AC on and will romp when you kick in the SC. You can take a full swing with a 5 iron in the back seat, front seats are plush and feel like 1st class. Seven+ hour road trips you arrive feeling fresh. Several others had recommended Buicks here.

Get a performance car. They get good mileage on the road and the extra power is there if too many truck are around you. Weight of the vehicle makes a big difference in comfort. Dodge Hemi trucks ride nice and lots of power too. Mileage is over 22 on highway.

Gonna go out on a limb an suggest a VW GTI, either DSG or 6MT. Yes you can go with a Camry or the like, but why not have something a little more fun? My 2017 is an excellent road car and believe it or not gets slightly better fuel mileage than our 2015 Camry (tested this a couple times, 80mph on the Pennsylvania Turnpike). My last trip from my house all the way north to Scranton PA I was clocking close to 70-80mph the whole way and averaged 36mpg if I recall correctly. You can pick one up easily for under 30K. The drivers area has more room than you think it might and everything is laid out well. Cargo room might be on the lower side, but I've hauled alot of stuff with the seats folded down, more than the Camry. Routine maintenance is super simple.

Speaking of Camrys I just saw a 2015 Camry Hybrid XLE with navigation, leather, moonroof with 342k miles on it. Pretty good condition since the dealer didn’t wholesale it off.

Reactions: Ws6
Not that I am a big Hyundai fan, but sounds like you would benefit from a new 2020 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. 10yr/100K mile warranty (including the lithium battery), 3yr/36K mile free maintenance, 50mpg on the highway. 0% financing for 60 months currently.

The only drawback is resale value...won't be worth much after 2yrs/218,000 miles. KBB shows 2018 Sonata Hybrids with 218,000 miles with a value of around $3,000.

My mother has a 2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (supercharged 3800) That is the most comfortable road car I have ever driven. Son of a gun gets 28 MPG going 80 MPH w/the AC on and will romp when you kick in the SC. You can take a full swing with a 5 iron in the back seat, front seats are plush and feel like 1st class. Seven+ hour road trips you arrive feeling fresh. Several others had recommended Buicks here.
My '03, though non-supercharged, had the touring suspension and was very nice. Might be hard to find a good condition '05 (the last year GM made the PA). Around here, the few I used to see all looked tired and unkempt, like a long-haired cat whose family don't bother to groom him.

Has anyone suggested a diesel? Are there still diesel Jettas and BMWs? From what I understand, long highway runs are where the diesels really shine.

2020+ RAM. Top notch interior and best ride on the planet.
He just needs to buy the Ecodiesel and sell it before the 5/100K powertrain warranty expires. Upper 20's on the highway. With the way that truck resale values are headed, he will do just fine in terms of depreciation.

Having rented for long drives in the past, the one that worked out the best was the old MGM - plus high 20's at 75 with the V8 loafing at about 1500. A Well designed and refined car one of the best ever made. And I am NOT a ford fan. Currently, I found the V6 Dodge charger very comfortable and competent. Problem is if you have it in a "cop" color, people will be slowing in front of you as you approach.

Cant you take a Beech V35A Bonanza ?

Driving such distances is dangerous and quite a bore.

p.s."

AFA a new Jetta 1.4 They are Good on the highway and should retiren 37-42 MPG- though mind floats and I actually bottomed out the suspension ( all 4 corners - same time) a few times on 93S to Boston (!) The seats are comfortable for 3 hours max. That could be corrected though at a modest cost.

Last edited:
cpo vw passat, perhaps the 1.8tsi over the 2.0budack, but i will let others more expert on newer passats chime in. my older cpo 2013 2.5 5cyl is very roomy, certainly powerful enough, 35mpg at 75mph at 2100 rpm on i95 up and down east coast. the older 1.8tsi jettas is an entertaining little rocket, but the 1.4tsi is gutless at highway passing speeds.

He just needs to buy the Ecodiesel and sell it before the 5/100K powertrain warranty expires. Upper 20's on the highway. With the way that truck resale values are headed, he will do just fine in terms of depreciation.
ya and sell it in less than a year at the rate he is going , and i highly doubt resale will be that good on that truck.

In the interest of science, buy a lightly used base model Nissan Versa manual, and run it on Supertech conventional oil at 15,000 mile intervals until it blows up.

I've done that exact same type of driving for the last 25 years, these are my results.

I've driven everything you can imagine, from small compact cars, to full sized trucks. The current car is my favorite by far, its a fusion hybrid.

Smooth, quiet, easy to drive, comfortable and over 40mpg in all situations. This is my third Fusion, two hybrids and one regular, I like the hybrids a bit better.

I'd go for another one in minute, not that an Accord or Camry wouldn't be a mistake either.

I also rent a lot of cars, I haven't found anything that makes more sense as a sales car yet.

It may not be what I would pick as my personal car, but for this type of use they excel.

A nice used ES lexus would be cost effective and comfortable I think. Not too sporty though.. Mazda in Canada has unlimited mileage warranties, maybe find a dealer in the US who is doing something similar?

The Ford Fusion has been discontinued. The last one over built rolled off the assembly line a month ago. Can you even still find one at a Ford Dealer? Driving that kind of mileage on the company's dime, no way am I going to buy a used car of any sort.

How anyone can accept a car that gets 22-25 MPG is hilarious, this is not 1985. It says 'highway car'. It should be 35 MPG minimum. A full time AWD Subaru can get 37 MPG highway. A 4 cyl Camry gets 41 MPG. Driving 12,000 miles a month that is 144,000 a year. Figure gas is $2, which is historically low and probably won't last much longer. At 22 MPG highway you will use 5,760 gallons of gas, which is a cost of $11,520. A 40 MPG car only uses 3,600 gallons of gas with cost of $7,200. That's a savings of $4,320 per year of green cash that is not flying out of your pocket.

In the interest of science, buy a lightly used base model Nissan Versa manual, and run it on Supertech conventional oil at 15,000 mile intervals until it blows up.
Every time I see someone mention a Nissan Versa, I'm reminded of a time an early 20's guy came into my dealership to trade in his Versa. It was literally falling apart around him- 3 door handles were broken, A/C was inop, driver seat was broken and wobbling, paint chipped and fading, and on and on and on. It was 5, maybe 6 years old and less than 100k miles. We offered him $3,000 (a rather generous offer) on trade. He had bought it a two years prior from a buy here pay here place and he still owed $15k on it. Rough. You couldn't even hide that negative equity in a new Ram.

Back