New highway car?

As many here know, (despite the fact that I'm not young or healthy) I love sports cars, and especially convertibles with lots of HP.

However, I'm driving A LOT lately, mostly due to a prohibition on company airline travel. I'm driving twice a week from South FL to Savannah, GA (850 mile round trip) and every few weeks from FL to TN and PA. Often putting 3000 or 4000 miles on in the trip. I drove over 12,000 miles last month, Yikes!

I hate to spend my hard earned money on a boring travel car, but that might be necessary.

Suggestions for something reasonably inexpensive, comfortable, quiet and reasonably efficient? I don't really like the Prius.

Look at a new or one to two year old Passat. I have a 2019 with the 4 cylinder Budacj engine and get 42+ on trips. It is a VERY comfortable car for highway travel. I am 6 foot and weigh 200 pounds and I feel just great sitting in it.

No idea if you are getting paid mileage or using the car as a tax deduction..

I would think that if you are required to use your own vehicle that you could write off a lease in full.

My vote would be Toyota Camry. High MPG, built to commute, and easy resale value. The trifecta of commuter car.

I would think that if you are required to use your own vehicle that you could write off a lease in full.

My vote would be Toyota Camry. High MPG, built to commute, and easy resale value. The trifecta of commuter car.
12000 miles last month! not your typical lease situation.

I was reimbursed for mileage when I worked as a consultant. About 50 cents per mile. Worked out to about $1000 a month in my pocket. When I changed jobs, I needed the same salary plus another $12,000 a year just to feel I was getting the same pay.

For how long do you think this will continue? A month, six, or 10+ years? If you think you'll wear out a vehicle in that timeframe, it makes sense--otherwise you might rack up a ton of miles quickly, have life change again, and now be stuck with a low value car. I guess it comes down to when it pays off, cost/benefit ratio. Although racking up 12k in one month on a personal vehicle is cost enough.

I guess my question would be, how high do you want to go for miles on the car? Take it up to 100k, 200k or 500k? You might do ok with buying a used rental or similar, put on 100k, then flip. Premise being, get it cheap, get rid of it before it needs work, and getting something "new" once a year or so. Might not be as cheap as running something to 500k but maybe that just isn't a goal here.

Look at a new or one to two year old Passat. I have a 2019 with the 4 cylinder Budacj engine and get 42+ on trips. It is a VERY comfortable car for highway travel. I am 6 foot and weigh 200 pounds and I feel just great sitting in it.

With some of the deals that I have seen on these, I'd certainly at least give them a look.

I'd look at a Accord Hybrid, Focus Hybrid. Some midsize hybrid should be pretty nice and get great fuel mileage and great range.

2020 Corvette gets 27 mpg highway...

Checks all your boxes.

Spending that much time in a car it might as well be something you don't hate. A Lexus car might be tolerable and give you the Toyota reliability.

Last edited:
2020 Corvette gets 27 mpg highway...

Checks all your boxes.

Spending that much time in a car it might as well be something you don't hate. A Lexus car might be tolerable and give you the Toyota reliability.
Lexus RC-F. 460+hp, snag one used, they check all the boxes without the shoddy quality GM has.

As many here know, (despite the fact that I'm not young or healthy) I love sports cars, and especially convertibles with lots of HP.

However, I'm driving A LOT lately, mostly due to a prohibition on company airline travel. I'm driving twice a week from South FL to Savannah, GA (850 mile round trip) and every few weeks from FL to TN and PA. Often putting 3000 or 4000 miles on in the trip. I drove over 12,000 miles last month, Yikes!

I hate to spend my hard earned money on a boring travel car, but that might be necessary.

Suggestions for something reasonably inexpensive, comfortable, quiet and reasonably efficient? I don't really like the Prius.

I vote for the Tahoe. Drive from Miami-NYC 3 times a year and it is more then comfortable. Gets around 24-25 MPG on regular fuel. BTW in Savannah check out the Sweet Tea Grille [Port Wentwoth] for dinner. It is awesome.

I wa thinking a 15 year old V-8 S-class Mercedes. One of the nicest riding cars made, and with great seats...my V-12 gets about 20 when cruising, well above the speed limit, and I hear the S500 gets about 25 - 28 highway...

Not a sports car, but not run of the mill, either...

Back