New car for my wife.

A Corolla Cross is better looking than every car in your signature.
I’m glad you think that lol. At work we have a certain name for it but I can’t say it here. I’d disagree about it being nicer than everything I have. Have you seen the back of it? Certainly not something I’d have in my driveway but that’s just me.

My vote is for : Mitsubishi Outlander . Daughter has a 2o22 and it’s been excellent. You get a great warranty and excellent fuel mileage. Seats are really comfortable. She put 29k on it this year and zero problems.

My soon to be son in law has a Cx-5 and I’m a bit regretful that we didn’t even think of Mazda when we bought my wife’s CRV. IMO the Mazda is better in every way. It feels substantial, it feels like a bank vault inside and the ergo from my limited experience is good. Heavy like a Buick but with the tightness more like a big Volvo. And, his has aged very well, no issues, and they aren’t car people or good at paying attention to maintenance. Of the list, I’ll vote Mazda.

I had a Miata years ago, and it was a very well built car. Nothing bad to say about them at all.

Having spent 14.5 hours on a trip to Colorado in a GMC Terrain I’d pass on it. The seats were short and did not give enough leg support and I’m only 5’10” these days. There wasn’t anything in it that I would consider better than other vehicles. The 1.5T is a turd at elevation. I don’t think the turbo is much bigger than a Skoal can, at least that’s what it seemed like.

My wife took a job with the federal government, serving veterans at the Department of Veteran's Affairs. She's really done well and is ready to get her first brand new car. We have always driven stripped down low mileage cars purchased from local dealers. Never new.
... ... .
I am not a FORD" guy, but I don't see mention of the escape-based Bronco Sport. Persona non grata?
Right IN your price range high 20's low 30's

bronco sport.jpg

Plenty mid -trim Corolla Cross up here. I should define plenty as three?

Tried to get my wife to look at one. Showed her a photo and she said, "why does the front look like that ???"

I'd also favor Mazda, they are lately somewhat integrated into Toyota brand and are very competitive with Toyota on features, quality and pricing.
Personally, I'm looking forward to Mazda CX-70 intro in the near future, will be interesting to see how it's priced.

You did not say how many miles per year… if under 10-12k in that price range, I would look hard at a lease… you can get a real nice ride with known coats (ownership, repairs/mait (zero) and walk away at 36-40 months when there will be newer, safer cars out…

Subaru Outback or similar is nice

If leasing, and repair risk of a German car is out of the equation: seriously consider Audi. I’d say they are the standard. In an A4 We got hit from behind at 35, spun around, kissed the Jersey wall, then Hammered head on by a big old Caddy… lady in the Cadillac was jacked up and had to be cut out of the car. The Audi did its job. It absorbed most of the blow, cabin was unscathed, the Mrs limped out shaken and bruised, but ok. My foot was broken from inertia and the airbag launched my glasses back at me and cut my face… pretty sure if we were in one of our older cars one of us would have been crippled or worse.

(Note: I will likely never BUY a German car again, 3ys + the inevitable cost of repairs is insane. But lease: yes)

Back