Wife's 2013 Hyundai seized up today 94k miles

The 2.0 and 2.4 motors are known for oil consumption issues and major engine failure. Make sure all recalls are up to date especially the knock sensor one.

The Santa Fe we just bought has 109,000 miles on it. 2.0 turbo engine was replaced by Hyundai at 100,054 miles.
Yeah, I didn't mention this but all her recalls were up to date. It was at that dealership over the years for multiple airbag recalls, listening for knock and a free oil change and orange dipstick then the knock sensor update.
Now it has the fancy red dipstick that means new engine.

They just grenade without warning, like pulling away from a stop sign. All Hyundai original or dealer warranty replacements. All dealer maintained prior.
That would be the toughest part regardless of warranty …

They just grenade without warning, like pulling away from a stop sign. All Hyundai original or dealer warranty replacements. All dealer maintained prior.
You would think they would have identified and corrected the issue on the engines.

You would think they would have identified and corrected the issue on the engines.
You would think. That’s been one of the main criticisms of Hyundai, this went on for at least 10 model years and they did nothing but replace crappy engines with more crappy engines. 🤷‍♂️

I honestly don’t think they could figure out what was wrong with them.

Does anyone even know what the problem is with the engines? Are the replacement ones any better or are they just going to fail again?
I think it's an oiling issue that can't be completely eliminated. They have definitely reduced the number of failures as they seem to fail in much smaller numbers later years versus 2011-2014. Hopefully the replacement engine is at least as good as the newer 2017+ models. We're unlikely to put another 90k miles on this one.

Does anyone even know what the problem is with the engines? Are the replacement ones any better or are they just going to fail again?
In the end, it's a business model for H/K, that results in engine failure. We've talked about debris that wiped out engines, and maybe that was a contributing factor early on. Remember the same engine made in different plants overseas, with no debris, has the exact same lifespan problem. We've talked about design issues, bearing size and load, oil viscosity, direct injection and the resulting oil dilution/contamination, low oil levels, high oil temperatures, component quality, subsequent engine improvements and more. But again, the failures are nothing more than H/K's Modus Operandai. The quality is considerably lower than Toyota or Honda.

There was a time where H/K was making intake and exhaust valves from mild steel. They copied a quality Mitsubishi design, and made every internal part from generic materials, instead of following well established methods. The engines initially ran exactly like the Mitsubishi version. Right up until they didn't. Low quality OPE engines from China are often similar, with components that look identical to the Honda they are based on, but fall very short during use.

Let's ask the question, what if I used synthetic Mobil 1, 10W-40 MX4t (motorcycle oil with high ZDDP, zero shear and high HTHS) in my H/K engine and changed every 3000 miles, would the engine last longer? The answer is very likely yes. But it's not an oil related problem, it's a quality problem.

I ran across the flip side to this scenario today. Saw on the Car Wizards vlog where one of his customers brought in granddaughters Hyundai 2.4 as 4 different shops wouldnt touch it, including dealer. Car had 116k miles. They changed oil first to check for metal and there was some in oil. Worst part tho was when they drained oil it only had like 1-1.5 qts in it. Dealer said no on recall due to poor maintenance. CW then went on to say that none of the engine rebuilders he deals with wanted anything to do with it. He called local dealer to see about sourcing a long block and they told him, no problem we have like 50 on hand. And then they told him unlike other engines they did NOT want the old core back. Literally use it for boat anchor. He was going to tell customer same thing, he wasnt going to fool with it either.

I ran across the flip side to this scenario today. Saw on the Car Wizards vlog where one of his customers brought in granddaughters Hyundai 2.4 as 4 different shops wouldnt touch it, including dealer. Car had 116k miles. They changed oil first to check for metal and there was some in oil. Worst part tho was when they drained oil it only had like 1-1.5 qts in it. Dealer said no on recall due to poor maintenance. CW then went on to say that none of the engine rebuilders he deals with wanted anything to do with it. He called local dealer to see about sourcing a long block and they told him, no problem we have like 50 on hand. And then they told him unlike other engines they did NOT want the old core back. Literally use it for boat anchor. He was going to tell customer same thing, he wasnt going to fool with it either.
Yeah I watched that one a while back. I hope the owner learned a valia lesson about car ownership (besides just not to buy a Hyundai).

Later model years got the red dipstick from the factory
So it's not a reliable indicator of engine replacement
Ok I got ya. I only knew about the red dipstick from some info in one of the early tsb's related to engine failure. It explained the orange dipstick replaced the yellow one once they did their noise detection inspection down the oil fill hole to check for knock. And if the engine was replaced it got a red dipstick.
I guess if you see a red dipstick in an older car it either had the engine replaced under warranty or it was replaced with a junkyard engine out of a later model.

Forgot to take pictures, as it was on the other side and very hard it see ..but it may be leaking a small amount of oil from the valve cover gasket. My wife was smelling burning with the heat on high and I can see signs of a small amount only at one hard to see part of the valve cover gasket. I'm going to monitor it for a few more days in case it's just something that was spilled just burning off but it's unlikely since it's driven a couple hundred kilometers already at least. Might just need a retorque of the valve cover.

20240406_153345.jpg

20240406_153340.jpg

20240406_153331.jpg

20240406_153324.jpg

20240406_153354.jpg

Back