New car for my wife.

I understand this is not the direction you are asking, but I'd consider a pickup truck. Despite the safety "ratings", there is nothing like having a full frame and lots of metal between you and the next guy. Especially when hit by a dump truck or other large vehicle.

I find any of the 150/1500 class of trucks to be more comfortable than just about anything else out there. Quiet, smooth, capable and safe.

The last 15 years or so, I've been driving a great many long trips, often in rentals, and/or in one of my 3 F150's. Having the rear wheels outside of the cab area is a HUGE deal with regard to road noise and fatigue.

EDIT: 2.7EB 4x4 SC, 3.5EB SC, 5.4V8 4x4 SC.
Of the 3, the V8 is hands down, the most pleasant to live with. It is quiet, utterly smooth, and instantly responsive.

The V8 truck had just under 190K miles when the pic was taken. Just don't look at the deep paint gouge caused by my gate, just forward of the bumper :mad:

sWSSB2j.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know on the cost but I like look of the Kia's over the Hyundai's in general. The Sorrento is very nice. My coworker has a '20 Terrain and a '21 Sorrento. He and his wife choose the Sorrento for all their trips.

Here is my suggestion. Be like GON and Cujet. Hit up a local or better airport rental place and rent one for a weekend. Take a nice longer drive to get miles. The ones by me have Subaru's, Jeep's, Mazda's, Tahoe/Suburban, Toyota's and almost every other version. My co-workers Terrain he bought used from Enterprise car sales.

My last rentals/loaners were an Outback, Forte, Accord Hybrid. All were very nice and most new have decent safety features. The Outback had the lower cushion leg extension/thigh support.

Speaking of, while having my Pilot in for service I saw the sign that my Honda dealer does car rental and has all the new Honda's in the fleet. Something to check at dealers around you. https://www.marianoriverahonda.com/rental-loaner/

Consumer Reports, NHTSA, IIHS reviews might be good to spend some time also for the overall safety. Wife's friend turned in her Acura TLX for a Jeep Compass. She regrets it everyday especially at night from the excellent headlights in the Acura to the poorest rate lights around in the Jeep. I still think if safety is a driving factor, a larger, more metal around you thing helps but design is more.

Crazy place to look https://www.car-part.com/ type in the models you like, maybe 2 years old, search an interior part like drivers seat, look at pictures. you can see many real world crash results.

Honda HRV from car show safety- Note the drivers area staying solid from how they designed it but at 6'5" you need to see if you fit comfortably.
3C16220B-.jpg

Car-Part Terrain pictures link - all sides but passenger compartment looks good.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
The forester non- sunroof(extra headroom) is pretty big.. bottom of the seat is a little short.
I'm 6'2" and have room to put the seat back quite abit more.
Its like a giant greenhouse to look out of those(great)
Top Safety pick,
AWD(not a giant plus for you)

high 20's $$$$$

In normal traffic you can get 25city 30+ highway.

The outback is longer and slightly shorter.. and more premium. I havent sat in one of the current gen models.

I’d say the last two. If you don’t care about looks then the ugly Corolla Cross would be the best one. I’ve seen some of those already at 40 and 50k and doing great. The Mazda seems to be a solid choice too but I don’t have any experience with that particular model. I’d avoid the first two at all costs.
A Corolla Cross is better looking than every car in your signature.

Mazda makes a great car, and they aren't as "boring" to drive as some of the other Japanese competitors. My only issue with Mazda is they are the absolute worst carmaker to get parts from. I waited over two months for wheel opening trim on a 2022 CX-5.
The most important thing is to get her a car she really likes.

Out that specific selection I'd probably go for the Mazda. If it matters to you and you would consider it a deal breaker, the Envista is built in China.

My wife took a job with the federal government, serving veterans at the Department of Veteran's Affairs. She's really done well and is ready to get her first brand new car. We have always driven stripped down low mileage cars purchased from local dealers. Never new.

I used to be pretty brand specific, and loved Toyota, we owned several that went a long time. Now we are less brand specific, and we are looking for nice features, and a quality feel. We only want to keep a car to 100k miles then get rid of it. Pretty much anything new will run until 100k miles and I can get there with extended warranty.

My key item for her is SAFETY. We have had three collisions in the past three years, and we are a little jossled to say the least. San Antonio, and Dallas traffic is like a demolition derby. We were rear ended twice by non insured drivers, once in hit and run fashion.

Second item is size of vehicle. I am 6'5'', and we frequent the Texas Coast, and loading up a cooler and some lawnchairs, with a few friends. Needs to sit two people, maybe 3, and a couple suitcases.

We are also planning to take non winter trips to Colorado. I don't need all wheel drive, front wheel drive is fine.

My limit is $35000 out the door including extra warranty.

1.) GMC Terrain- We loved the size of it, and it seemed like a nice car. Roughly $30k, and we can get a 72 month 100k warranty added for $1700-$2000. GMC dealer is upscale compared to Hyundai, and they are a fair dealer (Cavendar GMC Buick)

2.) Buick Envista- We have yet to see this one at our dealer, but we did look at an encore and did not think it was big enough at all. My wife likes the looks of this car, I don't think it will be large enough for our needs.

3.) Corolla Cross- Dead reliable, but seems too much like every one of our old cars (Matrix, Camry, Corolla). May not be large enough for our needs.

4.) Mazda CX5- Wife thinks it looks too much like our current Tuscon, and I agree. Probably the highest quality car out of the group but may be too bland.
Out of that group, it’s not even close: Mazda CX-5.

My partner was T-boned in her 2016 CX-5 by a newer Equinox. She walked away, the other driver went to the hospital. The quality of construction difference between the two was noticeable. The claims agent said she was lucky to have been in a CX-5 because they’re very safe.

We had it from 17k to about 59k. Zero issues. Peppy engine, great mpg, handles great for an SUV. They are fantastic cars.

How hard is the 35 limit, because something a little larger like Acadia or Atlas might be a better choice but price is an issue...

Mazda makes a great car, and they aren't as "boring" to drive as some of the other Japanese competitors. My only issue with Mazda is they are the absolute worst carmaker to get parts from. I waited over two months for wheel opening trim on a 2022 CX-5.
The most important thing is to get her a car she really likes.
This is why unless one is a urban dweller, and never leaves a urban area, Mazda becomes a unnecessary risk when compared to a Toyota or Honda. The parts and service availability of a Toyota or Honda are significantly better than a Mazda.

Mitsubishi Outlander
You don't need a extended warranty and the mpg is usually above EPA.
Only thing is what GON said but here we have several dealerships. The price is in your zone...

Most consumers don’t care about the torsion bar. They don’t even know where the suspension is.
Well, if that’s the case, then why don’t all cars use torsion beams? They’re cheaper, after all.

The CX-5 does handle better. The CX-50 does ok for having a torsion beam rear suspension, but the CX-5 is superior in turns.

I personally see no reason to buy a CX-50. It’s more expensive and falls short by comparison in nearly every way.

Back