Crazy dealer add on

My daughter looking at purchasing a new Honda CRV hybrid. One dealer had an accessory of $1999.00 for propack. Propack consists of wheel locks, mud flap and a cargo liner. I asked him 3 times if he forgot a few other items. Needless to say we didn't bite. I am trying the Costco vehicle purchase hopefully we have some better luck..

My daughter looking at purchasing a new Honda CRV hybrid. One dealer had an accessory of $1999.00 for propack. Propack consists of wheel locks, mud flap and a cargo liner. I asked him 3 times if he forgot a few other items. Needless to say we didn't bite. I am trying the Costco vehicle purchase hopefully we have some better luck..
They can't add those things under the Costco program. You are attempting to buy one of the most popular vehicles in the country.

Good luck!

Please post your Costco results. Good luck.

Ya, packs are a controversial subject in sales. Some swear by it, while others see it as a scam. I personally hate it when they want to pre-load a vehicle because the people that eventually buy it usually don't want an accessory and we can't return it because the packaging is long gone.

Please post your Costco results. Good luck.
On the VW MSRP 38,754 -2223 discount +339 brake flasher, $599 doc fee, $425 DMV, $7.50 tire fee , $2515 tax ...$40416 out the door.

Doc fee although high lowest I have seen. only add on is that brake flasher which is a money grab. Overall I am ok with the deal. I will report back on Honda. I am sure it wont be nearly as good.

As far as that add on, I called Costco and they said it was legit as they disclosed it when they signed contract with Costco.

I have decided that my next car purchase I will tell the salesman/finance guy that I will not pay the doc fee. I remember back in the day before doc fees existed. I want my next purchase to be doc free. Hopefully that works. These doc fees are bogus. Always have been. The paperwork and such used to come out of the dealerships profit. Now they tack on the fee for that purpose. And there is no way that it costs $599. That is NJ for you

Don

Oh I forgot. When purchasing a new car if I see add on charges I don't like I flat out tell them I am not paying for that. They try and do their up sell and I just tell them no. I haven't lost buying a car yet. They always remove the charge

Don

And Weathertech makes a cargo liner for the CRV for just $121. Just going on a hunch, I bet it's a better product than the Honda cargo liner.

What is a Doc fee for $599 and a DMV fee for $425? I thought they are one in the same. Last new vehicle I bought was in 2002, a F-150, the Doc fee was $99 and there was no DMV fee. I live in NJ, for better or worse.

I have decided that my next car purchase I will tell the salesman/finance guy that I will not pay the doc fee. I remember back in the day before doc fees existed. I want my next purchase to be doc free. Hopefully that works. These doc fees are bogus. Always have been. The paperwork and such used to come out of the dealerships profit. Now they tack on the fee for that purpose. And there is no way that it costs $599. That is NJ for you

Don
Depending on the time of the month, the vehicle in question, and the sales volume of the dealership in question you could very well have to walk to not pay it.

On the VW MSRP 38,754 -2223 discount +339 brake flasher, $599 doc fee, $425 DMV, $7.50 tire fee , $2515 tax ...$40416 out the door.

Doc fee although high lowest I have seen. only add on is that brake flasher which is a money grab. Overall I am ok with the deal. I will report back on Honda. I am sure it wont be nearly as good.

As far as that add on, I called Costco and they said it was legit as they disclosed it when they signed contract with Costco.

My local Toyota dealer wanted $1200 for the brake flasher. :oops:

We paid extra for a 2024 Rav 4 hybrid. It's what they call a market adjustment and if you want the vehicle you have to pay it. They did the same thing with the 2020 and newer C8 Corvettes. It's all about how the market flucuates. Things will level off but it might take a while.

I know I live in the boondocks but what is a "brake flasher"?
cut to 4.:50 to see demonstration

DMV fee is for plates and registration. I believe it is for 4-5 years so that is legit. Doc fees are a money grab supposedly for back office employees

Your brake lights flash typically 3 or 4 times when braking then burn solid. Many motorcycle enthusiasts use them. Less than $20 on Amazon.
I got one on Amazon for $16, 3 quick flashes and then 3 longer flashes and then solid third brake light only.

Back