Wife's 2013 Hyundai seized up today 94k miles

I agree on the throttle mapping. I mostly hate how it gives you like 30% throttle when you press the throttle like 10%, so it's hard not to do a burnout if you're trying to pull away quickly.
It sounds like a diesel mostly because of the direct injection fuel pump. Ours didn't really have any unusual knock before it seized up.
The guys were struggling to get the belt off to check if it was seized, it was a tight fit though maybe it's worse on the Sorento. I was standing there while they checked it out, only because I helped push it in and I used to work there. I didn't get charged for the diag which reminds me I need to bring coffee over to them.
Getting the belt off of the Sorento isn't any worse than those cars where you have to thread the belt through the fan shroud to get it off. It's getting the pulleys off that was the hard part.
You're right about the gdi being the source of the diesel noise but gosh even a decrepit 2007 gdi mazda with a big turbo doesn't have that much clatter

Last edited:
Honest question arriving.

It does appear that the first gen 2.4L/2.0Ls that have been "babied" so to speak have more issues with oil consumption, noises, and overall a rougher engine esp as the miles add up...
BUT a 2.4L/2.0L that see WOT more often than the "babied" vehicle seem to not have "as bad" oil consumption and noise issues?

I am only voicing this observation as a owner of both a 2.4L MPI and 2.4L DI.. The 2.4L mpi is closing in on 200K, and the 2.4L DI near 100K.

the 2.4L DI Sonata will see triple digit pulls a couple times a year, plus WOT highway merges when applicable all throughout the year, on top of using the manual shifttronic to engine brake down mile long mountains humming at over 4K or WOT acceleration until the computer shifts above the "normal" WOT point. The Sonata is far for babied, but minus the P1326 knock sensor harness recall code (not the actual engine knocking, but the knock sensor was faulty because of the wiring harness so it threw a P1326 code).. The engine imho is good only because it's not babied. Oil consumption was never a issue overall once I corrected the coolant ratio, and took the engine temps down substantially..

and well the near 200K mile 6 speed 2.4L MPI...
Enough said here.
IMG_4661.jpeg

Honest question arriving.

It does appear that the first gen 2.4L/2.0Ls that have been "babied" so to speak have more issues with oil consumption, noises, and overall a rougher engine esp as the miles add up...
BUT a 2.4L/2.0L that see WOT more often than the "babied" vehicle seem to not have "as bad" oil consumption and noise issues?

I am only voicing this observation as a owner of both a 2.4L MPI and 2.4L DI.. The 2.4L mpi is closing in on 200K, and the 2.4L DI near 100K.

the 2.4L DI Sonata will see triple digit pulls a couple times a year, plus WOT highway merges when applicable all throughout the year, on top of using the manual shifttronic to engine brake down mile long mountains humming at over 4K or WOT acceleration until the computer shifts above the "normal" WOT point. The Sonata is far for babied, but minus the P1326 knock sensor harness recall code (not the actual engine knocking, but the knock sensor was faulty because of the wiring harness so it threw a P1326 code).. The engine imho is good only because it's not babied. Oil consumption was never a issue overall once I corrected the coolant ratio, and took the engine temps down substantially..

and well the near 200K mile 6 speed 2.4L MPI...
Enough said here.
View attachment 210277
I can't say this was true in our case, as it's one of the ones that was babied. It has gone full throttle a couple times when I was driving but my wife doesn't. She will drive fast but she never floored it.
It used zero oil up until the day it seized up at 94k. I think it's just luck of the draw. Considering it seized because of rod bearing failure and not lack of oil, I would say that if it had been driven harder it would have failed sooner.
Your theory would only likely work by keeping the rings free enough to not use oil, thereby preventing bearing damage. However they aren't all dying from lack of oil (though I'm sure a large number of them do).

I can't say this was true in our case, as it's one of the ones that was babied. It has gone full throttle a couple times when I was driving but my wife doesn't. She will drive fast but she never floored it.
It used zero oil up until the day it seized up at 94k. I think it's just luck of the draw. Considering it seized because of rod bearing failure and not lack of oil, I would say that if it had been driven harder it would have failed sooner.
Your theory would only likely work by keeping the rings free enough to not use oil, thereby preventing bearing damage. However they aren't all dying from lack of oil (though I'm sure a large number of them do).
Were there any signs that you may have noticed but not thought much about before this? Since you stated no oil loss, was the engine “louder”, rougher, down on power, have that momentary “rod knock” sound on the first start up?

Yes I know about the issue with machining debris not being properly flushed but that should show symptoms far earlier.
Poor design, lower grade component parts, coupled with (sometimes) low viscosity oil, high oil temperature, often extended oil change intervals and high bearing loading are all responsible. A perfect storm. Even those who maintain very well have problems, probably just postponed a bit.

The debris issue may have affected a few vehicles. The rest are as above.

Were there any signs that you may have noticed but not thought much about before this? Since you stated no oil loss, was the engine “louder”, rougher, down on power, have that momentary “rod knock” sound on the first start up?
None at all that I noticed, though i had only driven it on the recent trip to the airport a few hours away. I did hear her start it in the morning at least within a few days of the failure and it sounded fine other than a belt tensioner starting to make some noise. I was keeping a close eye on it for noises and oil level as I expected this to happen one day.

My wife said it seemed a bit louder than normal the day it seized up, so it's possible it was giving signs but she doesn't know what any kind of noises mean. It could have just been the belt tensioner she was hearing.

She is an optimistic person and always thought I was being ridiculous for worrying about it seizing up.

Oil even looked good still after it seized.

None at all that I noticed, though i had only driven it on the recent trip to the airport a few hours away. I did hear her start it in the morning at least within a few days of the failure and it sounded fine other than a belt tensioner starting to make some noise. I was keeping a close eye on it for noises and oil level as I expected this to happen one day.

My wife said it seemed a bit louder than normal the day it seized up, so it's possible it was giving signs but she doesn't know what any kind of noises mean. It could have just been the belt tensioner she was hearing.

She is an optimistic person and always thought I was being ridiculous for worrying about it seizing up.

Oil even looked good still after it seized.
Cool. Thank you for the reply. Mine is a 2021 and is not among the "bad' years of engines. I haven't heard of any 2020/2021's blowing up like the 11-19's, supposedly they fixed the issue. However, I have 70K on mine now, and it hasn't burned a drop of oil, literally, and sounds just fine. It gets driven a lot, And I see/hear no sign of imminent failure. I was just curious what you experienced.

The dealership called and the Sonata is ready to go. My wife will be picking it up today after work.
This was much quicker than expected. I even found out through the service manager from where I used to work, he asked his buddy who's a tech at Hyundai if he saw a white Sonata come in for an engine replacement...his answer was that they had 3 white Sonatas all getting new engines. Just imagine how many other vehicles that aren't white or Sonatas are getting engines?
The manufacturer will replace the engine gratis and even provide a loaner car.
What more could any owner want or expect?
Kudos to Hyundai for stepping up and making things right.
Don't thank some easily discredited individual, thank the company for doing the right thing by their customers.
Not sure what you're talking about? They're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They're doing it because they got caught and there was an investigation.
I will thank the dealership for making it a seamless process but Hyundai doesn't deserve credit. These things drop like flies.

The dealership called and the Sonata is ready to go. My wife will be picking it up today after work.
This was much quicker than expected. I even found out through the service manager from where I used to work, he asked his buddy who's a tech at Hyundai if he saw a white Sonata come in for an engine replacement...his answer was that they had 3 white Sonatas all getting new engines. Just imagine how many other vehicles that aren't white or Sonatas are getting engines?

Not sure what you're talking about? They're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They're doing it because they got caught and there was an investigation.
I will thank the dealership for making it a seamless process but Hyundai doesn't deserve credit. These things drop like flies.
Hyundai/Kia is doing a TON of these things. And because they keep grenading, they'll keep doing them until customers get sick of replacing engines.

Interesting fact of note, the ship that hit the FSK bridge in Baltimore was built by Hyundai and was caused by it's engine failure. A real tragedy on all levels.
With the history of failures by the Hyundai/Kia group, what drives people to continue purchasing their products?

Interesting fact of note, the ship that hit the FSK bridge in Baltimore was built by Hyundai and was caused by it's engine failure. A real tragedy on all levels.
With the history of failures by the Hyundai/Kia group, what drives people to continue purchasing their products?
Hyundai Heavy Industries has nothing to do with Hyundai Motor Group except being owned by the same conglomerate. And we don't know what happened with that ship. This is completely irrelevant to the discussion regarding the vehicle in this thread.

In my wife's case, she bought it in 2013 before anyone knew about these failures. In general, most people tend to downplay the failures, except mechanics who work in the dealership.

They probably have like 40 2.4 motors ganged together to turn the prop and another 10 on the generator side.

The car is home and running good. It was a long block, the cylinder head is brand new.
Only worry is there is no starter on the work order, like I saw on many others. The starter often breaks because of trying to crank the seized engine.....this one has the original starter but the cheap plastic lever inside replaced twice already (bought at the rebuilders and had installed at the shop). So I'm at little worried the starter survived barely and will let go later on. I don't want the wife to get sick of it stranding her and want a new car lol. The warranty on the engine is the main reason to keep it now as other than that it's a pretty reliable car. Pretty sure if the new engine failed next week they would just replace it again in a couple of weeks, supply a rental again.
They used quaker state full synthetic warranty. Whatever that means. No grade stated so probably 5w30.

20240328_165247~2.jpg

The 228 bucks is for them to pull a valve cover off "to check for maintenance"?

100% they don't do that, as a negative finding would cost them all the labor hours of installing the new long block.

The 228 bucks is for them to pull a valve cover off "to check for maintenance"?

100% they don't do that, as a negative finding would cost them all the labor hours of installing the new long block.
You're wrong. They do and they have to send pictures to Hyundai for approval of the engine replacement. The service advisor actually showed me pics on his phone of someone elses 200k mile engine and it was spotless. Sounded like they were replacing it under warranty too.
The only reason I had to pay it is because we chose to start doing the oil changes at home so I don't have receipts for oil changes.
This bill would likely have been over $7000 for the complete new engine installed. So I'm not too upset about the $228.

You're wrong. They do and they have to send pictures to Hyundai for approval of the engine replacement. The service advisor actually showed me pics on his phone of someone elses 200k mile engine and it was spotless. Sounded like they were replacing it under warranty too.
The only reason I had to pay it is because we chose to start doing the oil changes at home so I don't have receipts for oil changes.
This bill would likely have been over $7000 for the complete new engine installed. So I'm not too upset about the $228.
I would gladly pay 228 for a new engine. My niece had a 2012 Kia Forte and when it was stolen, it had over 200k on original engine and transmission. Transmission was slipping and engine sounded like it was going to blow but wouldn't. 5w20 Pennzoil once it got low enough lol.

The 2.0 and 2.4 motors are known for oil consumption issues and major engine failure. Make sure all recalls are up to date especially the knock sensor one.

The Santa Fe we just bought has 109,000 miles on it. 2.0 turbo engine was replaced by Hyundai at 100,054 miles.

Back