New Cadillac hybrid needs frequent oil top-up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230612_044722_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612_044722_Chrome.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 34
Not uncommon in the 24 hours. Audi had quick-fill systems, as I recall, in place on their cars to top them up when they were dominating in the 2000's. Nothing to do with it being a hybrid. Everything to do with beating the snot out of a motor for 24 hours. Guarantee that you run any engine at full throttle for as long as they do and you'll use some oil.

The fact they finished as well as they did, being relatively new to the race, is a massive accomplishment.

Last edited:
I am not sure if this same practice is used on modern race engines, but on race or high performance engines of yesteryear, it was common for valve guide tolerances to be machined to allow oil to be consumed in order to keep the valves cool.

Don't these high performance engines actually burn oil as an advantage. I know they can get more power if they tune it right.

Don't these high performance engines actually burn oil as an advantage. I know they can get more power if they tune it right.
This could be my brain making up crap, but I think I remember that once upon a time that was the case, but then they started being limited by rules as to how much thry could use.

Might not have been this series though, like I said, its a piece of info stuck in the back of my brain I THINK I remember reading somewhere.

Back