Regarding 1st oil change on new vehicle...

Interesting the increased surface area of the OEM here...
Can't tell by just looking at the filters. You would have to actually measure the total media area. Also, you can not tell the efficiency and holding capacity of any oil filter by simply looking at it.

Last edited:
Can't tell by just looking at the filters. You would have to actually measure the total media area. Also, you can not tell the efficiency and holding capacity of any oil filter by simply looking at it.

Of course. It's just an interesting observation when I stretch and measure them the OEM has almost twice the surface area as the Fram. Now that doesn't mean anything either because two different media types filter and flow differently. But it's hard to BOTH filter better and flow better with the same surface area. I've actually yet to see a media type that can.

Of course. It's just an interesting observation when I stretch and measure them the OEM has almost twice the surface area as the Fram. Now that doesn't mean anything either because two different media types filter and flow differently. But it's hard to BOTH filter better and flow better with the same surface area. I've actually yet to see a media type that can.
I'd bet that Fram Ultra flows just as good with the less media area, and it's also way more efficient. If that Ultra had the same media area it would flow even better. Some media (synthetics, depth filtering type) flows very well (meaning a low dP vs flow curve), and can be very efficient at the same time.

Last edited:
I would dump the oil at 1k miles and change the filer as well.
Motorcycle manufacturers, which are not as bound to the EPA rule, call for 600 mile service to this day.

Here is the maintenance schedule of my 77 Kawasaki.

Maintenace.JPG

About ready to hit 1000 miles on the factory fill of my new Rav4 Hybrid in signature. Question -- picked up a Fram Endurance oil filter & a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 Hybrid 0W20. Think it would be safe to run the oil filter out to 10,000 miles? I plan on changing the oil again at 5K with Total Quartz 0W20 when the time rolls around.
If this is the factory filter, I would change it at 5k, then lengthen the filter changes to every 10k afterwards.

Personally)...I also would have left the factory-fill oil in for 3k. That's been my M.O. since my 1st new purchase of a yellow 1970 Cuda' 340. The factory oils are usually loaded with additives galore for break-in purposes.

Might want to check out the oil filter forum more often. ;)

That would be nice, but with 11 vehicles, 3 trailers, boat, bobcat, etc... (and the
corresponding 100 different message boards I already try to follow), hard
to keep up with what filters are good or not on any given day. For better or worse,
I use manufacturer stuff pretty much exclusively.

Appreciate any info I get, without doing massive amounts of research. I pay it forward
50 times a day on different boards, where I am one of the "experts", per-se.

Back