Regarding 1st oil change on new vehicle...

About ready to hit 1000 miles on the factory fill of my new Rav4 Hybrid in signature. Question -- picked up a Fram Endurance oil filter & a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 Hybrid 0W20. Think it would be safe to run the oil filter out to 10,000 miles? I plan on changing the oil again at 5K with Total Quartz 0W20 when the time rolls around.

The filter IMO is the thing I would change.
It is catching all the stuff dropped in at assembly and metal fragments from break in, chang it with the oil before 10k, 3-5k IMO

The only real benefit to changing it is an emotional one.
I guess it depends on the vehicle. With some engines a significant amount of old oil is left behind with the previous filter. Why take the chance of contaminating the new oil? Maybe the cartridge or Hengst style filters are different and minimal oil is left behind.

I do know that on some Toyotas there is more of a procedure to change the cartridge filter......i.e. more effort as compared to others cartridge set ups or spin on filters. From my simple POV I am just trying to understand the logic of not changing it with the oil.

I would also be using a Toyota branded filter while the car is still under warranty.

About ready to hit 1000 miles on the factory fill of my new Rav4 Hybrid in signature. Question -- picked up a Fram Endurance oil filter & a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 Hybrid 0W20. Think it would be safe to run the oil filter out to 10,000 miles? I plan on changing the oil again at 5K with Total Quartz 0W20 when the time rolls around.
I detect confusion …
Your plan is to put in the specialty Mobil 1 and FE filter now …
Run to 5k …
Change only the oil … run FE filter to 10k …
That it ?

I would NOT during break in if you are running into below freezing temps in PA. You don't want that thing bypassing wear in particulate and it ain't all coming out at your first OCI ( at approx. 1k miles if I understand your post )
If it was a Wix with a base end bypass I would be less concerned.

What is up with the FRAM brand lately and the way too many premium product diversification - it's just dang corn-fuzing !

Last edited:
You post and ask so hopefully you don’t mind opinions…

And this is mine:
Use a Toyota oil filter.
If there is any one issue that a dealership can use to stall an engine warranty repair is an “off-brand” oil filter.

It is safe and acceptable to run the FF oil and filter out to the first OEM OCI. I see no evidence of harm to the engine to follow this schedule.

I, however, am a big fan of changing oil and filter at 1k miles; to flush out the break-in materials.
- I did this for my ES350; the filter had a fair amount of slivers and metal particles in the filter media and the oil had a slight shimmer.
- I did this for my MX-5; the filter had absolutely nothing visible in the pleats and the oil had no shimmer.
I can only assume this is typical of many vehicles; some will have more debris than others. I'm not saying that Lexus does a lesser job of engine cleaning after machining. Two samples don't make for "science". I only use this as an anecdotal example that each engine will be slightly different when new and may benefit from an early flush cycle. (Not "will" benefit, but "may" benefit.) But the only way to know for sure is to do it and check the oil and filter for metals.

I typically do early OCIs on new equipment that I intend to run UOAs on. I want a few flush/fill cycles before I start the UOAs, so that break-in metals hopefully have lowered before the UOAs are taken. I'll typically follow this OCI schedule on new vehicles:
1k miles
4k miles
10k miles
Then every 10k thereafter, and start the UOAs around 20k miles.

Yes, there is no reason to dump it early...literally none.

Yes, there is no reason to dump it early...literally none.
Can you substantiate that statement?? It’s my belief and understanding there is no proof of what you stated; as well as no proof an early dump is beneficial.

I’d love to get a verifiable answer either way!

How much time has the engine been running during the 5k miles since it’s a hybrid??? Change the filter on the next oil change and be done.

Lots of differing opinions, as usual. I'm actually a bit surprised at dnewton3, who normally seems to favor practical return on investment type logic. Here, he admits no data to substantiate early OCI on new engines, yet he chooses his comfort level of doing shorter initial oil/filter changes.

Approaching old age, I found that if I am debating something like this, I just spend the $8 and put the anxiety to rest. Some people play golf, others shoot literally thousands of ammo rounds annually. What's the deal about stressing over an extra $8 filter/$25 oil once or twice a year on a $40,000 vehicle?

Back