Subaru OEM vs. M1 vs Fram Ultra vs. Fram Endurance for Subaru 2.5 DI (2023) and 2.5 PI (2013)

twX wrote: Subarus are unique in that they use oil pumps with very high flow rates, which is why they specify filters with a lot of media area and a 23 psi bypass pressure. Most aftermarket oil filters will bypass some oil regularly on most Subaru models. The OEM Tokyo Roki Subaru filters have poor filtration efficiency (I believe 50 micron), but they won't bypass any oil unless they get clogged. The blue filters may be more efficient.

To me, this means that Subaru, with the Tokyo Roki filters, places more emphasis on flow/filtration rate (High bypass pressure and a more "pores" media will ensure ALL oil passes through the filter media) over efficiency (50 micron vs. 20 micron). Am I wrong?
Guess if you are defining "filtration rate" as the measure of oil not bypassing, then yeah. But without some super controlled testing, nobody can accurately determine exactly which filters will bypass and by how much under all driving conditions. For one thing, all we have is a manual spec showing the pump flow rate, but AFAIK, nobody has actually verified with instrumentation of the oiling system on an actual vehicle if it is flowing that much flow through the filter and oiling system in real world use.

Interesting information. I knew about Subaru requiring filters with high bypass pressure but did not know that the OEM Toyko Roki filters being inferior in the filtration efficiency. "Rumor" has it that the previous USDM blue filters were made by Honeywell/FRAM, and because of that, they took on a lot of criticisms due to the synthetic end caps. Any idea as to why Subaru would chose the path of less efficient but greater filtration rate with their filters? TIA.
To me, this means that Subaru, with the Tokyo Roki filters, places more emphasis on flow/filtration rate (High bypass pressure and a more "pores" media will ensure ALL oil passes through the filter media) over efficiency (50 micron vs. 20 micron). Am I wrong?
I assume that by "filtration rate", you mean flow rate. An absolute efficiency of 40-50 micron seems to be pretty much standard for OE filters from various makes, and most aftermarket cellulose filters as well, so Subaru isn't doing anything different there. They specify a bypass pressure setting for their filters that allows full flow without bypassing, just like any other car manufacturer does. Subarus just happen to require a high bypass pressure setting to achieve that due to high oil flow rates. They could have instead specified a more typical bypass pressure and used a filter with more media area, so that there would be less pressure drop for a given flow rate, but they opted for a high bypass pressure instead, maybe due to filter size constraints.

Subarus just happen to require a high bypass pressure setting to achieve that due to high oil flow rates. They could have instead specified a more typical bypass pressure and used a filter with more media area, so that there would be less pressure drop for a given flow rate, but they opted for a high bypass pressure instead, maybe due to filter size constraints.
It could also be, on top of those aspects, that the media they use has a relatively high dP vs flow characteristic. All kinds of factors are involved that determine the final dP vs flow curve of an oil filter assembly.

I use a Baxter adaptor (basically an anti-siphon valve) so I get to use a larger Fram Ultra/Titanium 10575, which also has a higher bypass pressure (16-28psi). More filter area + good flowing Ultra + higher bypass pressure = less times being in bypass.

Reactions: NO2
I assume that by "filtration rate", you mean flow rate. An absolute efficiency of 40-50 micron seems to be pretty much standard for OE filters from various makes, and most aftermarket cellulose filters as well, so Subaru isn't doing anything different there. They specify a bypass pressure setting for their filters that allows full flow without bypassing, just like any other car manufacturer does. Subarus just happen to require a high bypass pressure setting to achieve that due to high oil flow rates. They could have instead specified a more typical bypass pressure and used a filter with more media area, so that there would be less pressure drop for a given flow rate, but they opted for a high bypass pressure instead, maybe due to filter size constraints.
Do we actually know the flow rate that is being considered "high" here? The crank-driven pumps are all pretty high volume so I think there's some necessary context that we are missing here.

Do we actually know the flow rate that is being considered "high" here? The crank-driven pumps are all pretty high volume so I think there's some necessary context that we are missing here.
The factory service manual shows some insanely high oil pump flow specs - been discussed a few times in various threads over the years. But as I mentioned, has anyone verified that max specified oil volume flow actually goes through the oiling system. It's hard to believe the oiling system see that high of flow, and as I pointed out before it would mean the 5 qt sump is cycled every like 12 seconds through the engine. Crazy flow.

The factory service manual shows some insanely high oil pump flow specs - been discussed a few times in various threads over the years. But as I mentioned, has anyone verified that max specified oil volume flow actually goes through the oiling system. It's hard to believe the oiling system see that high of flow, and as I pointed out before it would mean the 5 qt sump is cycled every like 12 seconds through the engine. Crazy flow.
A stock LS3 pump is 6.8gpm, which is 27.2 quarts per minute or 0.45 quarts per second, which is 5 quarts in 11 seconds.

Apparently, the stock 5.7L HEMI (MDS) oil pump flows 5.08gpm @ 2,000RPM.

So, with that context, how does that, if it does, change how we view this Subaru stuff?

A stock LS3 pump is 6.8gpm, which is 27.2 quarts per minute or 0.45 quarts per second, which is 5 quarts in 11 seconds.

Apparently, the stock 5.7L HEMI (MDS) oil pump flows 5.08gpm @ 2,000RPM.

So, with that context, how does that, if it does, change how we view this Subaru stuff?
I'd have to go dig up the discussions. Some Subarus are specing some crazy flow like around 15-16 GPM at redline. So maybe it was more like one sump volume of flow through the engine about every 5 sec at redline. Just recall it was pretty nuts.

I'd have to go dig up the discussions. Some Subarus are specing some crazy flow like around 15-16 GPM at redline. So maybe it was more like one sump volume of flow through the engine about every 5 sec at redline. Just recall it was pretty nuts.
Be interested to see it, the highest volume LS3 pump I saw was 9.3gpm and is recommended for wide-clearanced all-out race engines running turbo's with massive external oil coolers and spun beyond 8,000RPM.

Be interested to see it, the highest volume LS3 pump I saw was 9.3gpm and is recommended for wide-clearanced all-out race engines running turbo's with massive external oil coolers and spun beyond 8,000RPM.
I think member @twX posted the Subaru service manual specs. Maybe he can link to his post(s), or post them here again.

Found it:
It was asked a while back what the numbers were on the Subaru oil pump, during discussion regarding the 23psi bypass pressure setting in the Subaru OE oil filter, as we were trying to figure out why the bypass pressure spec was set so high. So here are the specs on the oil pump, to possibily help understand why the filter bypass rating is set @ 23psi (23.2 actually) Oil Pump info for 2009 Subaru 2.5 liter four cylinder(identical specs for Turbo DOHC and NA SOHC 2.5 liter motors): Lubrication Method: Forced lubrication Pump Type: Trochoid type Performance (oil temp 80 C which is 176 F)

600rpm: Discharge Pressure 14psi; Discharge rate 4.9 US quarts or more per minute
5000rpm: Discharge pressure 43psi; Discharge rate 49.7 US quarts or more per minute

Relief Valve working pressure: 85psi Oil Filter Type: Full Flow Filtration Area: 124 sq in (800 sq cm) Bypass Valve opening pressure: 23.2psi Outer diameter x width: 2.68 x 2.56 in (68 x 65mm) Installation screw specifications: M 20 x 1.5 Oil Pressure Switch warning light operating pressure: 2.1 psi Oil Pressure Switch proof pressure: 142 psi

Which is:
600rpm: 1.225gpm
5,000rpm: 12.42gpm

5.7L HEMI pump:
500rpm: 1.90gpm
2,000RPM: 5.08gpm

Not sure how that scales, but I'd assume the HEMI pump is going to be higher volume at 5,000RPM.

Found it:

Which is:
600rpm: 1.225gpm
5,000rpm: 12.42gpm

5.7L HEMI pump:
500rpm: 1.90gpm
2,000RPM: 5.08gpm

Not sure how that scales, but I'd assume the HEMI pump is going to be higher volume at 5,000RPM.
I think there was another Subaru engine pump that speced more than 12.4 GPM.

If the pump output remained linear on the HEMI, it would be 5000/2000 x 5.08 = 12.7 GPM. It probably isn't perfectly linear though due to some slip.

Last edited:
Subaru uses more than one oil pump, I run the 11mm pump (OE was 10mm) in my EJ, 63 ltr/min @ 6000 (16.6 gal/min)

SubaruOilPumps.jpg

AFAIK the only time it goes into relief so far is at cold start under 40f, it is 85-95psi, with the oil (A3/B4) at about 200f it sees about 65psi at 5000. The engine only has 3,500K on it since I built it so it has not seen hard use.
I went with the 11mm because the 10mm is known to have lower oil pressure at hot idle not enough to trigger the oil pressure light which is 2.5lb and poor flow to the heads

The Toko Roki is a good filter but you need a filter cup wrench which is an odd ball size 66.5mm which is not available in local stores.
A universal wrench will remove it but on the ring of fire engines you really need the cup (anyone that has one knows why). The ones that fit the wix and others are a little too small. This one fits them perfectly.

Back