Fram ultra old vs new efficiency?

Hi all! Been reading up on uktras.i know the new ones are not wire mesh reinforced. The wire mesh ones were they rated 99%+@20 um? That plus sign,just like the fram titaniums are.
The new ultras are just 99%@20um.no plus sign. Or are they plus?
I saw 6 fram mesh backed on eBay 3387a filters for $34.99...think those are 99%plus!?

Fram's website shows the Ultra is still 99%+ at 20u.

1691454015680.png

Hi all! Been reading up on uktras.i know the new ones are not wire mesh reinforced. The wire mesh ones were they rated 99%+@20 um? That plus sign,just like the fram titaniums are.
The new ultras are just 99%@20um.no plus sign. Or are they plus?
I saw 6 fram mesh backed on eBay 3387a filters for $34.99...think those are 99%plus!?
I would buy the old style since I trust it more than the new style.

I would buy the old style since I trust it more than the new style.
That's what I was reading here,newer posts.most seem too trust the old metal screen style.but why?
Ide be using it for a 3,000 mile one year or sooner stop n go traffic application average ,3000 miles on about 6 months.

From previous document it showed that it was a spec more efficient below 20u. The newest Ultra is definitely 99%+.

I have been following this debate since the PureOne "tearaolators", where the non-wire backed media would tear, usually close to the end where it was glued. There have been posts of the new non-wire backed Fram Ultras with wavy pleats, insinuating that they, too, might tear. I think @ZeeOSix has mentioned the increased number of pleats giving it a little more strength avoiding the tearing issues the PureOne had.

I am now wondering about the legitimacy of these claims. When the PureOnes (not to be confused with the current Purolator Ones) were shown torn, I don't remember the poster stating how long it was run, or what grade oil was used. Was it run way over the recommended mileage? Was extremely thick oil used? Was the engine taken to redline on cold starts? Or maybe the bypass valve wasn't reacting fast enough? Hell, maybe the filter didn't have a bypass valve & the engine didn't have one. A lot of this is anecdotal. You may not need a wire screen backing if you don't experience the conditions the engine was subjected to.

I was told by an analyst years ago that if I use the PureOne be sure to change it early, because it will plug up faster. That made sense because a finer filter will load up quickly, simply because it is trapping more material. Now the newer filters boast 99+% @ 20u, yet still advertise high mileage, I'm assuming because full synthetic media can hold more. Remember the PureOne was synthetic/cellulose blend.

I seem to remember the Purolator Boss advertising a higher efficiency at a lower mileage, e.g. 99%@25u for 20,000 miles, but 99%@20u for 10,000 miles (don't remember the exact number, but you get the jist). That would make sense that the higher delta p was sloughing off captured debris. Apparently mfgs sell based on higher mileage to warrant the extra cost. So in that vein, would the Endurance (or Amsoil EAO) be higher rated at say, 15u for less than 25000 miles? The testing done by Ascent was on a new filter, where the OG Ultra was exceptional, but it was new & unloaded. Fram's data I would assume is based on long term use, so some of that captured debris would be released as the delta p increased, causing a lower efficiency rating.

I switched to Endurance (and/or Amsoil EAO) from Ultra simply because of the wire screen. The motorhome regularly sees 4000-4500 RPM bursts but the oil is at operating temp & viscosity, would that be enough to warrant a wire-backed media? The Ultra may in fact have a higher efficiency than the Endurance, & I never take any filter (or oil) beyond 4000 miles.

Edit: I presume the only way to really know would be for me knowing the history to cut one open & take pics. I just might do that after my next Texas trip.

Last edited:
I have been following this debate since the PureOne "tearaolators", where the non-wire backed media would tear, usually close to the end where it was glued. There have been posts of the new non-wire backed Fram Ultras with wavy pleats, insinuating that they, too, might tear. I think @ZeeOSix has mentioned the increased number of pleats giving it a little more strength avoiding the tearing issues the PureOne had.

I am now wondering about the legitimacy of these claims. When the PureOnes (not to be confused with the current Purolator Ones) were shown torn, I don't remember the poster stating how long it was run, or what grade oil was used. Was it run way over the recommended mileage? Was extremely thick oil used? Was the engine taken to redline on cold starts? Or maybe the bypass valve wasn't reacting fast enough? Hell, maybe the filter didn't have a bypass valve & the engine didn't have one. A lot of this is anecdotal. You may not need a wire screen backing if you don't experience the conditions the engine was subjected to.
If you ever saw the Excel database that Stu_Rock did on the reported torn filters, it showed some of them had very low mileage on them. Of course, if a filter is used in cold weather there will be more dP across the media and therefore a greater risk of tearing the media if the filter has wide spaced pleats and/or the filter media is "brittle" and can't take much side bending from the oil flow dP. The filter bypass valve should prevent damage to the oil filter, if the filter is designed right.

I was told by an analyst years ago that if I use the PureOne be sure to change it early, because it will plug up faster. That made sense because a finer filter will load up quickly, simply because it is trapping more material. Now the newer filters boast 99+% @ 20u, yet still advertise high mileage, I'm assuming because full synthetic media can hold more. Remember the PureOne was synthetic/cellulose blend.
There is still the bypass valve, so if the filter loads up and caused more dP then the bypass valve should start opening to 1) maintain oil flow to the engine, and just as important, 2) to prevent the filter media and center tube from damage due to excessive dP. If an oil filter is designed well, it should be able to withstand the designed bypass valve dP all day long.

I seem to remember the Purolator Boss advertising a higher efficiency at a lower mileage, e.g. 99%@25u for 20,000 miles, but 99%@20u for 10,000 miles (don't remember the exact number, but you get the jist). That would make sense that the higher delta p was sloughing off captured debris. Apparently mfgs sell based on higher mileage to warrant the extra cost. So in that vein, would the Endurance (or Amsoil EAO) be higher rated at say, 15u for less than 25000 miles? The testing done by Ascent was on a new filter, where the OG Ultra was exceptional, but it was new & unloaded. Fram's data I would assume is based on long term use, so some of that captured debris would be released as the delta p increased, causing a lower efficiency rating.
The ISO 4548-12 efficiency test (used by Ascent, and many filter makers) determines the over-all efficiency of the filter from brand new to fully loaded (ie, a dP not far off from causing the bypass valve to open). Ascent's test data also showed that the filters he tested did indeed lose some efficiency as the filters loaded up. There were some posts and discussions about it in the long Ascent testing thread.

The Ultra, Royal Purple and ACDeclo just didn't lose as much efficiency as the dP increased compared to others. I've mentioned this before: If a filter has a high ISO 4548-12 efficiency rating then by the way ISO defines the efficiency, the filter is very good at retaining already captured debris. If it was a big debris slougher, there is no way it could achieve a 99% @ 20u efficiency. Filters that rate low in the ISO 4548-12 efficiency test: 1) Have over-all less efficient media, 2) Have some kind of dirty oil leakage going on, or 3) Are not good at retaining already captured debris as they load up and the dP increases across the media. Or a combination of 1), 2) and 3).

I switched to Endurance (and/or Amsoil EAO) from Ultra simply because of the wire screen. The motorhome regularly sees 4000-4500 RPM bursts but the oil is at operating temp & viscosity, would that be enough to warrant a wire-backed media? The Ultra may in fact have a higher efficiency than the Endurance, & I never take any filter (or oil) beyond 4000 miles.
Fram's website shows the Ultra, Titanium and Endurance all having 99+% @> 20u efficiency, based on the specific filter models they reference the effficiency claim on.

Last edited:
If you ever saw the Excel database that Stu_Rock did on the reported torn filters, it showed some of them had very low mileage on them. Of course, if a filter is used in cold weather there will be more dP across the media and therefore a greater risk of tearing the media if the filter has wide spaced pleats and/or the filter media is "brittle" and can't take much side bending from the oil flow dP.
Yes, I remember that, it was based on all the reported incidents on this forum. My issue is with the posters' information. 'Some' of them that had low mileage may have been subjected to cold starts, thick oil, etc. but iirc most didn't post any mileage, I wouldn't know where to start looking for that item, lol. I would assume a wire mesh backing would have alleviated that issue. So more pleats with closer spacing would prevent the side bending from going far enough to tear? Thats what Fram did when they eliminated the wire mesh?

There is still the bypass valve, so if the filter loads up and caused more dP then the bypass valve should start opening to 1) maintain oil flow to the engine, and just as important, 2) to prevent the filter media and center tube from damage due to excessive dP. If an oil filter is designed well, it should be able to withstand the designed bypass valve dP all day long.
True, the issue was loss of filtration efficiency by sending it into bypass, not damaging the filter.

The ISO 4548-12 efficiency test (used by Ascent, and many filter makers) determines the over-all efficiency of the filter from brand new to fully loaded (ie, a dP not far off from causing the bypass valve to open). Ascent's test data also showed that the filters he tested did indeed lose some efficiency as the filters loaded up. There were some posts and discussions about it in the long Ascent testing thread.
There probably is, it is a long thread. But maybe time would have a bearing on holding capability? Could particles eventually "lose their grip" over time, with may cold starts resulting in varying dP?

The Ultra, Royal Purple and ACDeclo just didn't lose as much efficiency as the dP increased compared to others. I've mentioned this before: If a filter has a high ISO 4548-12 efficiency rating then by the way ISO defines the efficiency, the filter is very good at retaining already captured debris. If it was a big debris slougher, there is not way it could achieve 99% @ 20u efficiency. Filters that rate low in the ISO 4548-12 efficiency test, 1) Have over-all less efficient media, 2) have some kind of dirty oil leakage going on, or 3) Are not good at retaining already captured debris as they load up and the dP increases across the media. Or a combination of 1), 2) and 3).
Got it. So the ISO testing Ascent did includes holding capacity & I presume the metal-to-metal leaf spring on some filters. The OG Ultra had a fiber gasket there, that may have helped the overall rating!

Fram's website shows the Ultra, Titanium and Endurance all having 99+% @> 20u efficiency, based on the specific filter models they reference the effficiency claim on.
Right, but Ascent's testing showed the Ultra exceeding the ratings in the capture of 20u, 15u & 10u particles, which, could be attributed to the gasket at the leaf spring. In fact the poor performance of the other filters could be attributed to lack of positive sealing in that area. My thought is if the filter is used longer, the smaller particles could slough off, but you say ISO parameters include that spec.

Yes, I remember that, it was based on all the reported incidents on this forum. My issue is with the posters' information. 'Some' of them that had low mileage may have been subjected to cold starts, thick oil, etc. but iirc most didn't post any mileage, I wouldn't know where to start looking for that item, lol. I would assume a wire mesh backing would have alleviated that issue. So more pleats with closer spacing would prevent the side bending from going far enough to tear? Thats what Fram did when they eliminated the wire mesh?
Sure, if a filter with wide pleat spacing and brittle media that can't take much side force was subjected to very cold start-up, it could tear the media on the first start-up. Tighter, more evenly spaced pleats reduce the chances of the pleats bending sideways and stressing out the area at the end of the pleats where pleats usually tear. Wide pleat spacing is pretty much always a prime factor in reported torn pleats seen here. Of course wire backed media will give much more added pleat support and keep the pleats from bending, even if there are wider spaced pleats. And of course, full synthetic media needs a backing of some kind because it just doesn't have the rigidity to do it without added backing.

True, the issue was loss of filtration efficiency by sending it into bypass, not damaging the filter.
Loss of efficiency due to the bypass valve momentarily opening is momentary efficiency loss. If the bypass valve closes, and the oil is circulated many times again through the filter then it should catch anything that was bypassed. Now if the bypass valve is almost always open, or there is some on-going leakage of dirty oil past the media, then that could reduce the efficiency at all times.

There probably is, it is a long thread. But maybe time would have a bearing on holding capability? Could particles eventually "lose their grip" over time, with may cold starts resulting in varying dP?
Given enough dP, or even dP pulsations/spikes, it can dislodge already captured debris. This is another good reason to take it easy on the engine RPM until the oil warms up. If someone fires up a very cold engine and starts racing around, it's certainly going to put some dP spikes on the media and also open the bypass valve. To mitigate that, be mellow on RPM until the oil warms up pretty good.

Got it. So the ISO testing Ascent did includes holding capacity & I presume the metal-to-metal leaf spring on some filters. The OG Ultra had a fiber gasket there, that may have helped the overall rating!
Yes, Ascent's testing included ISO 4548-12 dP vs flow, holding capacity and muti-pass efficiency. It also discussed efficiency loss as the filter loaded up and dP increased. That thread might be worth reading from about post 228 and on.

Right, but Ascent's testing showed the Ultra exceeding the ratings in the capture of 20u, 15u & 10u particles, which, could be attributed to the gasket at the leaf spring. In fact the poor performance of the other filters could be attributed to lack of positive sealing in that area.
The Royal Purple and ACDelco preformed very well too, and they don't use a fiber gasket on the dome end cap. But yes, the fiber gasket between the leaf spring and dome end cap on the OG Ultra was a nice touch. The new Ultra and the Endurace are still rated at 99% > 20u on Fram's website, so apparently they thought the fiber gasket wasn't really needed. The other filters performed worse because of like I mentioned before: 1) Have over-all less efficient media, 2) Have some kind of dirty oil leakage going on, or 3) Are not good at retaining already captured debris as they load up and the dP increases across the media. Or a combination of 1), 2) and 3).

My thought is if the filter is used longer, the smaller particles could slough off, but you say ISO parameters include that spec.
I've posted this figure many times before to explain how an oil filter's efficiency can decrease as it loads up and dP across the media increases. Also to explain how ISO 4548-12 calculates the efficiency, which is basically the average of the real time multi-pass efficiency as the filter is loaded up during the test. So in this example, the over-all ISO 4548-12 efficiency at 20u would simply be (90% + 60%)/2 = 75 % @ 20u. So yes, ISO 4548-12 takes into account the loss of efficiency with loading and increased dP. As said earlier, if a filter is rated at 99% @ 20, then by definition it can not be losing much efficiency from sloughing off captured debris.

1703974833658.jpeg

Last edited:
I've posted this figure many times before to explain how an oil filter's efficiency can decrease as it loads up and dP across the media increases. Also to explain how ISO 4548-12 calculates the efficiency, which is basically the average of the real time multi-pass efficiency as the filter is loaded up during the test. So in this example, the over-all ISO 4548-12 efficiency at 20u would simply be (90% + 60%)/2 = 75 % @ 20u. So yes, ISO 4548-12 takes into account the loss of efficiency with loading and increased dP. As said earlier, if a filter is rated at 99% @ 20, then by definition it can not be losing much efficiency from sloughing off captured debris.

1703974833658.jpeg
Thanks for (re)posting this. So when a mfg. says a filter has 99% @ 20u efficiency for 25,000 miles, the 70 in the above chart would be replaced by 25,000 miles, & the 99% figure would be an average across that time/usage span? So in reality you can expect much higher than 99% when the filter is new, & maybe somewhat lower than 99% toward the end of the span? In the above example, the filter was performing above average for 20u at 50% of its life, there is a more drastic drop off after that.

It would be difficult to actually assign a mileage to the time line, because it would vary depending on the amount of debris a given engine is producing. So how do mfgs arrive at a mileage rating?

Edit: Would it be expected that a 99%, 25,000 mile filter would have a much higher efficiency during the first 5,000 miles than a 99% efficiency filter rated for 20,000 or 15,000 miles, due to the longer life that would drag the rating down during the last part of it's life?

Last edited:
Thanks for (re)posting this. So when a mfg. says a filter has 99% @ 20u efficiency for 25,000 miles, the 70 in the above chart would be replaced by 25,000 miles, & the 99% figure would be an average across that time/usage span? So in reality you can expect much higher than 99% when the filter is new, & maybe somewhat lower than 99% toward the end of the span? In the above example, the filter was performing above average for 20u at 50% of its life, there is a more drastic drop off after that.

1704224271428.jpeg

In the example chart, looking at the 20u particulate line, the efficiency drop off was pretty linear from new to loaded (ie, it dropped from 90% when new to 60% efficiency when fully loaded in a linear fashion). Also, the drop off rate in efficiency can be different for different sized particles. But just look at the 20u particles for this discussion.

The amount of debris loading from new to fully loaded would be the holding capacity of the filter. So the ISO 4548-12 overall efficiency basically tells you what the average efficiency is from new to nearly fully loaded - or in other words, the over-all efficiency of the filter over the life of the filter holding capacity. The holding capacity is used to estimate the rated "up to mileage" rating. The efficiency can decrease as the filter loads up, and some filters lose efficiency worse than others due to the media design.

Read the Ascent thread from the post forward (link below) and you will see a couple of examples of efficiency loss discussed from the Ascent testing. As said before, if an oil filter has a high ISO 4548-12 efficiency, by definition of how ISO determines the efficiency, the filter can not be a big slougher of already captured debris. @Davejam plotted some of the data from the Ascent testing and you can see the lose of efficiency as the filter loaded up - it too looks pretty linear.

It would be difficult to actually assign a mileage to the time line, because it would vary depending on the amount of debris a given engine is producing. So how do mfgs arrive at a mileage rating?
They would have to come up with a typical conservative "x grams per 1000 miles" generated by the engine to give a filter an "up to miles" use rating. Motorking mentioned 1 gram per 1000 miles, but it might be lower than that - it would be totally up to the filter engineers desiging and making the filters, it's not covered in ISO 4548 in any way. The determination of the holding capacity is in ISO 4548, but once that is determined, then the filter desgner could give the filter an "up to miles" use rating.

Edit: Would it be expected that a 99%, 25,000 mile filter would have a much higher efficiency during the first 5,000 miles than a 99% efficiency filter rated for 20,000 or 15,000 miles, due to the longer life that would drag the rating down during the last part of it's life?
If the fitler was rated at 99% @ 20u per ISO 4548-12, that would be the average efficiency over the rated holding capactiy of the filter. So it couldn't get much better than 99% @ 20u when new. Maybe it would be 99.5% when new, and 97.5% when loaded. The average of 99.5% and 98.5% would be 99.0%. The ISO efficiency is always the over-all average efficicy from new to loaded to near holding capacity.

If a filter has an ISO efficiecy of say 50% @ 20u, it may be 75% @ 20u when new and 25% @ 20u when fully loaded ... the average would then be 50% @ 20u. Or it could be 60% @ 20u when new and 40% @ 20u when fully loaded - again giving an average of 50% @ 20u. Only way to know is to see the actual ISO test efficiency data to see what's really going on, like the data from Ascent's testing that @Davejam plotted. The over-all efficiency curves that Ascent plotted was the over-all average efficiency curve vs particle size. The bottom line is any filter with a high ISO efficiency can not be a major slougher of captured debris.

Last edited:
Really? We’re gonna worry about that extra fraction of a percent? 🫠
The focus of the discussion is not about that. What if you were using a filter rated at 60% @ 20u per ISO 4548-12, and it was down to 40% @ 20u near the end of it's use rating? Would you be OK with that situation?

The focus of the discussion is not about that. What if you were using a filter rated at 60% @ 20u per ISO 4548-12, and it was down to 40% @ 20u near the end of its use rating? Would you be OK with that situation?
Hi there! Yes, I’d be ok with that personally. Tons of cars hitting 200k+ mileage on jobber-tier filters.

Back