Fram XG9972 and CH9972 oil filters contrasted

dnewton3

Staff member
Two filters I recently got at a local Walmart.
Fram cartridge-type Ultra and Extra Guard; both in style 9972 form (fits many late model Toyota/Lexus 3.5L engines).

The Ultra:
- does have wire backing; this must be old stock as the "new" Ultras are apparently lacking wire backing per many reports here on BITOG
- presumed to be of the typical advertised 99%+ efficient media
- has very uneven pleat spacing; what you see in the image represents the way it looks all the way around (even the inside has uneven spacing)
- has a very thin top and bottom caps with no lip on either side (there's no adhesion point other than the flat surface for the media. If you look closely you can see that the pleast simply sit "on top" of the flat cap.)
- 31 pleats; metal crimp band at media joint (I don't think glue would work well anyway; the syn media may not adhere as well)

The Extra Guard:
- no wire backing (never has been that I know of)
- presumed to be the typical advertised 95% efficient media
- has incredibly evenly spaced pleats all the way around! (I looked at several in the store; they were all like this)
- has top and bottom caps that have a wide lip around the media (so the media can not only adhere to the flat surface, but also along the pleat edges; the media sits down in this shallow "cup" of the cap/lip)
- 57 pleats; glued at media joint (so well that I had a hard time finding the seam; was very firmly adhered)

IMO, the construction of the EG is actually as good (maybe better?) as the XG, but for different reasons. I'm not saying the EG is all around better; it does not have the efficiency rating or capacity rating of the XG. But you gotta admit, the EG is very well constructed. Yes; wire backing is nice in the XG. But the density of the EG pleats and their very even spacing make wire backing unnecessary if you ask me. Look at the pic inside the EG; there's little if any room for it to wiggle or wave. There are almost 2x more pleats in the EG, though the Ultra does have "thicker" media. With the lips of the EG caps, it also appears to be a stronger cap design.

Either one would do fine IMO. I'd have no issues using either, and probably will at some point.

I got the Ultra to start my extended OCIs with HPL, and to have the EG as a back-up. The experiment is forthcoming; to start in less than 1000 miles.

I wish I had picked up a TG for observation; maybe the next time and I'll add it to this thread at some point.

IMG_5057.jpg
IMG_5058.jpg
IMG_5059.jpg
IMG_5060.jpg

Last edited:
But the density of the EG pleats and their very even spacing make wire backing unnecessary if you ask me ...
The EG media doesn't require any backing. Even when some of them have really wide pleat spacing, the pleats may bend over some, but rarely tear. It's pretty tough media. Also, on the wire backed Ultra it really doesn't matter how even or not the pleats are, the wire backing holds them where they end up after production.

There should be a date code on the end cap of those cartridge filters.

Last edited:
IMG_9592.jpeg
IMG_9593.jpeg
IMG_9594.jpeg
IMG_9595.jpeg
Two filters I recently got at a local Walmart.
Fram cartridge-type Ultra and Extra Guard; both in style 9972 form (fits many late model Toyota/Lexus 3.5L engines).

The Ultra:
- does have wire backing; this must be old stock as the "new" Ultras are apparently lacking wire backing per many reports here on BITOG
- presumed to be of the typical advertised 99%+ efficient media
- has very uneven pleat spacing; what you see in the image represents the way it looks all the way around (even the inside has uneven spacing)
- has a very thin top and bottom caps with no lip on either side (there's no adhesion point other than the flat surface for the media. If you look closely you can see that the pleast simply sit "on top" of the flat cap.)
- 31 pleats; metal crimp band at media joint (I don't think glue would work well anyway; the syn media may not adhere as well)

The Extra Guard:
- no wire backing (never has been that I know of)
- presumed to be the typical advertised 95% efficient media
- has incredibly evenly spaced pleats all the way around! (I looked at several in the store; they were all like this)
- has top and bottom caps that have a wide lip around the media (so the media can not only adhere to the flat surface, but also along the pleat edges; the media sits down in this shallow "cup" of the cap/lip)
- 57 pleats; glued at media joint (so well that I had a hard time finding the seam; was very firmly adhered)

IMO, the construction of the EG is actually as good (maybe better?) as the XG, but for different reasons. I'm not saying the EG is all around better; it does not have the efficiency rating or capacity rating of the XG. But you gotta admit, the EG is very well constructed. Yes; wire backing is nice in the XG. But the density of the EG pleats and their very even spacing make wire backing unnecessary if you ask me. Look at the pic inside the EG; there's little if any room for it to wiggle or wave. There are almost 2x more pleats in the EG, though the Ultra does have "thicker" media. With the lips of the EG caps, it also appears to be a stronger cap design.

Either one would do fine IMO. I'd have no issues using either, and probably will at some point.

I got the Ultra to start my extended OCIs with HPL, and to have the EG as a back-up. The experiment is forthcoming; to start in less than 1000 miles.

I wish I had picked up a TG for observation; maybe the next time and I'll add it to this thread at some point.

View attachment 197243View attachment 197244View attachment 197245View attachment 197246
Have run the XG on our Lexus since new - and went looking today. The TG seems to have the suspect crimp per Wayne’s issue …
The XG was just purchased with the metal seam you can see - but not breaking the seal looks like the box of chocolates story line.
(I will run it 1 or 2 rounds within OLM range) …
IMG_9592.jpeg
IMG_9593.jpeg
IMG_9594.jpeg

Last edited:
The EG media doesn't require any backing. Even when some of them have really wide pleat spacing, the pleats may bend over some, but rarely tear. It's pretty tough media. Also, on the wire backed Ultra it really doesn't matter how even or not the pleats are, the wire backing holds them where they end up after production.
Yes - that's my takeaway also.

There should be a date code on the end cap of those cartridge filters.
XG ... M33052 "made in USA" (305th day of 2023)
EG ... 23253 M1 "Product of USA" (325th day of 2022)

I need to check out some of the TGs for this application. If they are as decent as the EG, but with the better ratings, they may be my go to after these are used.
Not a fan of the crimped media joint which wwillson experienced a failure; time will tell if that was a fluke or a general trait.

Interesting; for the Toyota products I service I just buy 3 at at time from the local Toyota dealer.
I believe this is the Fram # for our 2013 GS350. I would appreciate your thoughts regarding a Fram vs Toyota comparison.

Thanks @dnewton3 !

I thought the cartridge style filters in Fram XG series still have wire backing, even new production.

Have run the XG on our Lexus since new - and went looking today. The TG seems to have the newer crimp per Wayne’s issue …
The XG was just purchased with the seam you can see - but not breaking the seal looks like the box of chocolates story line.
(I will run it 1 or 2 rounds within OLM range) …View attachment 197263View attachment 197264View attachment 197265
On the XG shown, don't like what I see with what 'looks to be' pleat end points extending past the endcap. Most noticeable in second XG pic. Potential areas of bypass? In any case, not how 'I'd' think it should look. The EG looks fine.

In my observation, when it comes to cartridge filters, fit in the housing an important factor. Not a consideration with spin on.

The Ultra:
Welp there goes the claim "Fram is only metal wire backed".. :ROFLMAO:
I think all Fram Ultra cartridge filters have backed media, either wire or polyester/nylon. Don't recall seeing any Fram Ultra cartridge filters without any kind of media backing. Could be the newer media in the cartridge Ultras sill needs some backing, and the polyester/nylon is enough and doesn't need metal wire backing.

Last edited:
I think all Fram Ultra cartridge filters have backed media, either wire or polyester/nylon. Don't recall seeing any Fram Ultra cartridge filters without any kind of media backing. Could be the newer media in the cartridge Ultras sill needs some backing, and the polyester/nylon is enough and doesn't need metal wire backing.
A few months ago when I looked, the Ultra 11665 cartridge for the Pentastar engines does not have a wire backing. It actually looks the same as a Tough Guard 11665. Both made in Brazil. The Endurance 11665 has wire backing, but this particular filter is made in China. I just have a hard time paying $13 for a China filter.

A few months ago when I looked, the Ultra 11665 cartridge for the Pentastar engines does not have a wire backing. It actually looks the same as a Tough Guard 11665. Both made in Brazil. The Endurance 11665 has wire backing, but this particular filter is made in China. I just have a hard time paying $13 for a China filter.
It seems like all these Fram filters made all over the world in other places do have unique configurations for some reason.

I went to change the oil in my 2015 Toyota Camry, 2.5l 4-cyl. I have always used the Fram XG9972. I pulled out the old filter, you can clearly see the markings as XG9972. Look at the comparison to the XG9972 I just bought yesterday at Walmart. What are you thoughts? Did Fram change the build? 56 pleats vs 31 pleats?
End of 2022 build compared to early 2024 build?
full
full
full
full

Compared to the WIX 57047XP with 44 pleats:
full

The Ultra with 31 pleats is wire backed media, the one with 56 pleats also looks that way- yes? Looks like those Ultra cartridge filters went to the new style Ultra media, but retained the wire backing. Maybe changed supplier.

I went to change the oil in my 2015 Toyota Camry, 2.5l 4-cyl. I have always used the Fram XG9972. I pulled out the old filter, you can clearly see the markings as XG9972. Look at the comparison to the XG9972 I just bought yesterday at Walmart. What are you thoughts? Did Fram change the build? 56 pleats vs 31 pleats?
End of 2022 build compared to early 2024 build?
full
full
full
full

Compared to the WIX 57047XP with 44 pleats:
full
Is the 56 pleat wire backed support on the media?

Had to play with the exposure to see better - I don't see any wire backing, so it's probably the new non-wire backed media change.

1710805137826.jpg

Back