New Accord requires 0W-20 comments on using 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought new Accord: 2013 EX sedan with 2.4L direct injection and 6-speed manual.

I will be following maint. minder. Putting on 45K per year, I'm sure that's at least 10K intervals.

I have some M1 0W-20 in my stash but thinking of using my remaining PP and PU 5W-20 that I had stashed for my previous Camry.

I compared viscosities, HTHS and VI of all oils mentioned above and still am not sure if I will use the 5W-20.

Any thoughts?

Little different between synthetic 5W20 and 0W20. Honda recommends 0W20 mainly because they want you to use synthetic even though they have syn blend 0W20.

I would use up PP and PU 5W-20 as suggested by Overkill.

Use the 5w20 in your stash instead of paying the high price for M1 0W20 AFE. Or get some QSUD 0W20 for $20.97 at wally world!

While with your 45k per year your warranty will be gone soon enough I'd suggest you follow the manual to the letter with a first year DI'd motor.

Better safe than sorry!

Once the warranty is long gone then I'd use the 5w-20 with no concerns.

Bill

Register your new car for both the Pennzoil and Quaker State engine warranties.
I did this with my '12 Accord.
You can then pick up jugs of both PP and QSUD 0W-20 with a twenty dollar rebate for each.
I got two twenty dollar rebate checks, and I now have enough oil for the first two changes for less than ten dollars net.
I doubt that 5W-20 would hurt your engine at all, but I'd stay with the recommended oil while under warranty, which won't be long for you.

Perhaps save the 0W-20 for oil changes as you head into the cold WI winter season. Use the 5W-20 when you change oil headed into warmer weather? Just an idea. That's what I would do.

What does the owner's manual say? I don't see how it would hurt to use 5W-20.

0W-20 may be the preferred weight, but 5w-20 may also be an approved weight. My Sonata has 5W-20 as the preferred weight, but 5W-30 is also approved in the manual.

So, these concerns about warranty may be unfounded, depending on what the manual says.

Does it specify 0W-20 only and nothing else? Most makers will list several alternatives also.

And in Australia and other places do they still require 0W-20 for this engine? Just curious. I'll bet not. I would guess there would be alternatives mentioned at least.

In pretty much every country outside of North America and Japan, the Honda oil recommendation for the K24 is 5w-30 (with 0w-30 listed as an alternative in some countries). 5w-20 will not be a problem in this engine, the K24 is easy on oil. But, as others have mentioned, you need to use the Honda recommended 0w-20 until your 5/60 engine warranty expires if you expect Honda to honor an engine warranty claim, and you need to be able to prove that this is the oil you used (they might ask to see your dated receipts).

Most likely Honda wanted to be able to make an idiot proof "one size fits all" recommendation which will apply to all regions and seasons of year. I see no problem with 5W20 used in warm enough weather. Normal 0W20 is not really much thinner than 5W20 at non-winter temperatures.

I just bought a case of TGMO 0W20 for 20% off at my local Toyota dealer. I will change out PU 5W20 that I'm currently running and see if I notice better MPGs since it's cold right now in So. Cal.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
If he Honda manual is like my Honds manual, it says 5w-20 or 5w-30 may be used.

I don't think 5W30 appears anywhere in his owners manual. Is your Accord a 2013?

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Perhaps save the 0W-20 for oil changes as you head into the cold WI winter season. Use the 5W-20 when you change oil headed into warmer weather? Just an idea. That's what I would do.

My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back