19 Subaru Impreza - CVT failed

Subaru's CVT may be the best.
Subaru's and Nissan's CVT transmissions are both made by JATCO.

There are only three manufacturers of CVT transmissions in the world. Toyota, Honda, and JATCO.

If it has a CVT and it's not a Toyota or a Honda then the transmission was made by JATCO.
I am fairly sure subaru manufactures their own Lineartronic CVT TR 690 and TR 580

I did not find the one in Parents Subaru Outback nor sisters Honda CRV that different in normal driving. I did not even notice it. My parents have a 2015 Outback and no issues with theirs.
Pretty sure I have only had it in Nissan’s … I always select SUV when booking online bcs I travel with large bags for long stays …
and/or want AWD …

Any manufacturer can have a bad one, unless it becomes a trend, then I wouldn't be concerned. The only CVT I own is in my Yamaha Grizzly 660, turns 21 this year. I'm old I try to avoid CVTs in cars, but Subaru, Toyota, and Honda have sold thousands of them. I would hope they would be reliable.

Any manufacturer can have a bad one, unless it becomes a trend, then I wouldn't be concerned. The only CVT I own is in my Yamaha Grizzly 660, turns 21 this year. I'm old I try to avoid CVTs in cars, but Subaru, Toyota, and Honda have sold thousands of them. I would hope they would be reliable.
Seems to be somewhat common:
Subaru Outback Problems | CarComplaints.com
Screen Shot 2024-01-27 at 12.40.22 PM.jpg

The start/stop in the loaner Outback is terrible.

Hah, I felt the same way on that 2023 Outback loaner I had when they pulled the engine out of our old 2019 Outback. It was so darn clunky stopping and starting.

Not trying to start anything but after that repair I quickly traded that car off for something with a traditional automatic. The CVT started acting really strange and while I had a Subaru extended warranty I was not looking forward to it sitting at the dealer for another week. Pretty sure the place I traded it in to put a transmission in it after a failed fluid swap attempt.

Hah, I felt the same way on that 2023 Outback loaner I had when they pulled the engine out of our old 2019 Outback. It was so darn clunky stopping and starting.

Not trying to start anything but after that repair I quickly traded that car off for something with a traditional automatic. The CVT started acting really strange and while I had a Subaru extended warranty I was not looking forward to it sitting at the dealer for another week. Pretty sure the place I traded it in to put a transmission in it after a failed fluid swap attempt.
I don't blame you. I'm glad you can turn off the start/stop. It's horrible.

My 2015 Forester CVT blew up, and I mean blew up on 84 in Hartford CT. It was 5 yrs old with 75000 miles. Local dealer covered it with rebuilt CVT. I learned later from dealer of silent recall. 2012-2015

My 2015 Forester CVT blew up, and I mean blew up on 84 in Hartford CT. It was 5 yrs old with 75000 miles. Local dealer covered it with rebuilt CVT. I learned later from dealer of silent recall. 2012-2015
Knowing the replacement cost of them I would not get one again, especially Subaru. Honda and the Toyota eCVT seem to be bulletproof.

Back