Looking for oil for Subaru BRZ with FA24D

I got the car last year and started doing track days this year. US manual recommends 0W20 and manual for other countries also recommends 0W20 but mentions 5W30 as being acceptable viscosity. I have been running 5W30 mobil1 extended performance and wasn't very aggressive. As I progressed, today the oil temperature approximately reached 250°F with ambient temperature of 76°F. I am changing oil and thinking which viscosity or oil to get. I started looking on mobil1 website and found these numbers

Engine oilKinematic Viscosity @ 40CKinematic Viscosity @ 100C
Mobil1 EP 0W-2044.6 8.8
Mobil1 EP 5W-3058.710.15
Mobil1 FS 5W-3071.8 12.2
Mobil1 FS 5W-408113.2
Mobil1 FS 0W-40 78.3 13.8

EP=Extended performance
FS=full saps (Euro formula)

After seeing above numbers I realized 5W30 EP might not have been enough protection for my needs.

From posts here, seems like 0W40 is favored by many. I am not sure if it fits my needs or I need to look at other performance brands. The car doesn't see much more miles outside track, may be 1-2

Last edited:
I always used Mobil One Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 in my father's Subaru. Never had an issue or any consumption issues..

Did you try reaching out to the guys at the track with the same engine platform and see what oil they are running??? That would be my first step.

Personally, I wouldn't let a Subaru touch the track without a oil pan designed for track duty and a oil cooler, assuming your car doesn't have one. I'd go I'm this order.

1:killer b pan and pickup
2:eek:il cooler. Me thinks Subaru Ascent oil cooler should bolt on
3:pennzoil Euro L 5/30 or Mobil 1 FS 0-5/40

I always used Mobil One Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 in my father's Subaru. Never had an issue or any consumption issues..
I think it's two different applications we're talking about here, bud.

Unless your pops is doing track days and doing donuts roasting the tires at the nursing home.

Maybe he is. Who am I to judge. Maybe he's young at heart and doing all that and clapping cheeks and breaking hips at the nursing home.

Did you try reaching out to the guys at the track with the same engine platform and see what oil they are running??? That would be my first step.

Personally, I wouldn't let a Subaru touch the track without a oil pan designed for track duty and a oil cooler, assuming your car doesn't have one. I'd go I'm this order.

1:killer b pan and pickup
2:eek:il cooler. Me thinks Subaru Ascent oil cooler should bolt on
3:pennzoil Euro L 5/30 or Mobil 1 FS 0-5/40
I haven't met anyone with 2nd gen that has been doing it for a while. Those with 2nd gen were mostly newbies like me.

1. Seems like oil pan and pickup aren't doing much for oil pressure drop, so I have been waiting for better solution before making engine mods
2. It already has a oil cooler like that one.
3. Planning to pick up Mobil1 FS 0W-40 from Costco

I think it's two different applications we're talking about here, bud.

Unless your pops is doing track days and doing donuts roasting the tires at the nursing home.

Maybe he is. Who am I to judge. Maybe he's young at heart and doing all that and clapping cheeks and breaking hips at the nursing home.
Wait awhile between that 6th cup of coffee and posting 🤣

An external oil cooler isn't necessary at these temps. I regularly see 270 on track....its fine....

Ext. oil coolers add their own set of issues....pressure issues...more to break/go wrong that can be catastrophic...can limit oil filter choices....etc. That car isn't forced induction so I wouldn't worry to much.

Last edited:
I haven't met anyone with 2nd gen that has been doing it for a while. Those with 2nd gen were mostly newbies like me.

1. Seems like oil pan and pickup aren't doing much for oil pressure drop, so I have been waiting for better solution before making engine mods
2. It already has a oil cooler like that one.
3. Planning to pick up Mobil1 FS 0W-40 from Costco
If you're seeing oil pressure drops on track, install an accusump before it's too late.

250* is fine with those 5w30 selections. The BRZ guys I have talked to at the track (Thunderhill, Laguna) without oil coolers seem to be running closer to 300*, which at that point, 0w40 would be better. Since yours has a cooler, nothing to worry about at 250*

This. Remove oil pan and check that there isn't RTV/sealant in there ready to block your pickup. There have been some widely shared engine failures on these cars on track related to it and oil-starvation.
Definitely check for RTV.

An Accusump is a fairly simple install as well, once you figure out a place to put it.

Looks there are already solutions:

If you're seeing oil pressure drops on track, install an accusump before it's too late.

I don't have gauge for oil pressure. I don't think I se high enough g's to see it compared to advanced drivers.

This. Remove oil pan and check that there isn't RTV/sealant in there ready to block your pickup. There have been some widely shared engine failures on these cars on track related to it and oil-starvation.
oil starvation problems seem to be more related to drop on right turn than RTV. I will call dealership and check if they can do TRV check under warranty.

Yeah I’d shoot for an oil with minimum 3.5 HTHS and stay at least 10cSt at track temps. Are you planning on adding an oil cooler?
Not as of now, it's all stock and don't want to give manufacturer excuse to deny warranty for first 2-3 years. Seems like 0W-40 has HTHS of 3.6 at 150 degree C, so that should for sure cover me. It's from old PDF and the number might be different as cSt numbers are different on website as well.

Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)@ 40º C 70.8@ 100º C 12.9

Back