Need Advice on a Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 4B40 oil Plan

Hello! Years long lurker, first time poster. I've learned quite a bit about engine oil and its properties over the years following this site and am glad to join it. The missus and I have a 2024 Eclipse Cross SUV arriving at the dealership mid-October with the 4B40 engine under the hood (1.5 litre, dual port and direct injected turbocharged 4 banger). This is my first brand-new vehicle ever and I'll be doing all my own serving as much as I can. The manual calls for 0W-20 and nothing else but looking at the UK and Australian manual show a different story...
Elcipsecrossoilpic.jpg
Yeah, all the way up to 20W-50. Seems CAFE sunk their hooks deep into this one. With the warranty in mind, my plan during the winter was use any off the shelf 0W-20, probably a SOPUS or Mobil product as I am particular to those, although I also have access to Klondike 0W-20 Euro oil with the higher 2.9 HT/HS. In the hotter spring-to-fall months I'm planning to fill the sump with either Mobil 0W-40 or Motormaster 0W-30 (rebranded Shell Helix Ultra, made in Germany and also used in the Pennzoil 0W-30 bottles from what I can gather), both of which go on sale at either Canadian tire or Walmart for a decent price. Summer temps can sometimes get in excess of 40C degrees (100F for comparison) and we do plan on using this vehicle for off-road camping, long mountainous highway drives, and the odd light towing (Not sure about the States, but Canada gets a 2000 lb capacity while Australia with the exact same drivetrain maxes out at 3500 lb). My wife drives a hatchback that takes 0W-20 and both take the Fram XG7317 size filter so I'm planning to just keep those receipts for my records in case the dealership needs proof of oil changes for any warranty work. We're planning on keeping this vehicle past it's 10 year, 160,000 km warranty so I want to give it the best fluids possible without breaking the bank too much. I know HPL oils are the big thing right now but that's just too far out of my budget to consider and though it might be overkill I really like the idea of running a 3.5 min HT/HS oil considering the conditions it's going to experience. My only other thoughts are to run the slightly larger 3539a filter to knock the capacity from 4.3 to 4.5 litres, and after the engine's properly broken in and all the mechanical bits are seated I'll maybe run some Liqui Moly Ceratec or BG MOA additive as I've used them previously with excellent results.

So, what say the experienced members of BITOG? Decent enough plan? Would you do something similar if you were in the same boat, or is there anything I'm overlooking?

I edited this post because I came off my sometimes blunt demeanor.

That is actually a Nissan for those reading this that don't know. The engine is actually a 3 cylinder. Lots of high tech features in that engine like a variable compression ratio @ 8-14:1, special cylinder wall finish, variable displacement oil pump... . The Jatco CVT is a complete refresh.

I'd try to back out of the deal and find something proven. That is not a vehicle I'd want to keep long term. I definitely would not use any oil additives. That cylinder bore finish is different than a typical engine and your plan could do more harm than good.

Last edited:
A few additions to the above post...

The Eclipse Cross is powered by a 1.5L 4 cylinder w/152 HP. It does come with a CVT as well as standard full time Super All-Wheel Control system. 5-year/60,000-mile basic warranty, a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, five years of complimentary roadside assistance, and now a 2-year/30,000-mile maintenance package that covers three oil and filter changes, three tire rotations, and a cabin air filter replacement is standard. Made by Mitsubishi in Japan..

The Outlander ..a larger SUV is a off shoot of the Nissan Rogue. The Outlander uses a 2.5 L 4 cylinder 181 HP w/no turbo along with a CVT. Super All-Wheel Control system is a option. Made in Japan The Rogue uses a 3 cylinder 1.5L w/201 HP. CVT W/Intelligent All-Wheel Drive as an option. It is made in Tennessee USA

Last edited:
I would use the 0w30 by motomaster year round. It has a low viscosity at -35 (equal or better than the 0w20) and a -51C pour point. No reason not to use it all the time. It goes on sale for a great price as well. The engine with that kind of energy density (100hp/liter) may do better with a 3.5HTHS number. Off roading with a CVT would give me pause, but maybe the updated jatco offerings are improved. I really enjoyed driving our 2007 outlander with the 3.0l V6 and 6speed auto. Fun little car.

It also appears that the British version doesn't require SP but rather anything SN and newer!

It makes you questions a bunch of things that you've been told!

Anyhow, I would personally use a 5W-30 grade oil.

I edited this post because I came off my sometimes blunt demeanor.

That is actually a Nissan for those reading this that don't know. The engine is actually a 3 cylinder. Lots of high tech features in that engine like a variable compression ratio @ 8-14:1, special cylinder wall finish, variable displacement oil pump... . The Jatco CVT is a complete refresh.

I'd try to back out of the deal and find something proven. That is not a vehicle I'd want to keep long term. I definitely would not use any oil additives. That cylinder bore finish is different than a typical engine and your plan could do more harm than good.
No offense but that is totally wrong. I did a lot of research before buying and this a a full Mitsubishi product save the Jatco CTV transmission, and even that differs from Nissan in that it has a dipstick, a drain plug, and an external spin-on type filter in addition to the usual internal filter. I put the engine name (4B40) in the post because I am aware of Nissan's and Mitsubishi's partnership and didn't want people getting confused as to what engine it has. This engine has been produced since 2017, and other than a bad batch that had some oil burning issues in 2018-19', mechanically speaking it's been a reliable set up as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
The Eclipse Cross is one of the last true Mitsubishi vehicles.

Go by the owners manual. The 0W-20 will be just fine.

Lots of threads here on this same subject but with different vehicles.

Back