My 6.7 Cummins is having a daily regen. Do I need to worry about oil dilution?

I’m getting like 13 hours between each regen on my new DPF. I don’t know if that’s normal or not. I never measured it before on the previous DPF. People say 24 hours between each regen but I’ve never seen that number and my manual doesn’t mention anything and on Cummins website they don’t publicly publish regen times other than generic 12-24 hour for some of the first generation of DPF’s.

13 hours and 500 something miles for me. In the past month i put over 2,500 miles on my 6.7 so I do a lot of highway driving with 3-4 minutes of idle for cool down when climbing the mountain.
it depends on the year of the diesel vehicle how often they will go thru a timed regen versus.
Basically the ECM measures soot loading in the DPF and will go into regen when it senses a given amount of soot loading.
But the system will also initiate a regen on a timed basis if the DPF has not reached a given level of soot loading in a certain time period, so it will just initiate a regen even if the DPF is not loaded , it will do the regen process and then the timer resets.

reason I say it depends on the year is the OEM's have been doing this DPF programming since about 2007 and they have changed the regeneration strategy over time, having learned to fine tune it. I believe in the older models regeneration occured less frequently but it was a lengthier process whereas currently they regenerate more often but it is a quicker process. They try to make it invisible to the driver
so some vehicles don't even let you know it is happening. Some do.

basically you can say regen occurs naturally in the passive state under highway driving or heavy load and if the system stays clean enough you will get a timed regen at whatever time interval the OEM decided upon. If you are operating in piss poor conditions like stop and go all the time or short trips where the soot loading is higher, you may get a Active Regen before the programmed timed regen occurs...

but if you are constantly regenning, you probably have either a plugged DPF or a sensor problem..

Keep a close eye on things, usually a DPF failure is caused by another issue like a faulty sensor or an over dosing adblue injector etc.

It may be worth getting a genuine Mopar air filter fitted just in case the issue is not resolved. You don’t want to end up with a big bill all for the sake of an air filter.

Keep a close eye on things, usually a DPF failure is caused by another issue like a faulty sensor or an over dosing adblue injector etc.

It may be worth getting a genuine Mopar air filter fitted just in case the issue is not resolved. You don’t want to end up with a big bill all for the sake of an air filter.
FWIW there shouldn't be any way anything happening in the Adblue system ( aka SCR Selective Catalytic Reduction) that would effect the DPF simply because the Adblue system is after the DPF...

SCR is after the DPF so it should have no effect on it.

FWIW there shouldn't be any way anything happening in the Adblue system ( aka SCR Selective Catalytic Reduction) that would effect the DPF simply because the Adblue system is after the DPF...
SCR is after the DPF so it should have no effect on it.
That’s good. Plenty of the small diesel euro stuff has them after the cat and before the DPF so if you have an issue that makes the system overdose with adblue then you get a DPF core that’s completely ruined. I’ve seen it build up like a mountain off the DPF towards the injector it’s nuts.

That’s good. Plenty of the small diesel euro stuff has them after the cat and before the DPF so if you have an issue that makes the system overdose with adblue then you get a DPF core that’s completely ruined. I’ve seen it build up like a mountain off the DPF towards the injector it’s nuts.
I think you have the parts confused.

Are you thinking of the DOC?

IMG_8243.jpeg

OK, so the Europeans figured out how to put 2 devices in one box. Funny thing is it still doesn't apply in this case.
I quite happy to admit it doesn’t apply in this case as I said above with my “that’s good” in response to you😀

Back