Took my 2020 Bimmer to the dealer for an oil change…

@edyvw , I cannot even wrap my head around putting a starter under an intake manifold. Bring your wrenches and lend a hand, please.

Realistically, the original starter might make it to 150k then you get a good quality replacement and make it another 100k.

Pulling off the intake twice in a 300k ownership period is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

BMW= Bring My Wallet.
about 3/4 of that type of car are leased , so the 1st "owner" is a leasee. gets it all for the price of renting a new car.
it is the 2nd and especially the 3rd owner who gets to pay the accrued hidden interest on those type of automobiles.

Yep, I agree with you.

I was thinking about leasing an M3 or M4 Competition, beautiful cars that are basically throw away vehicles after 50K miles when they start breaking down and big $$$ repairs.

Last edited:
Realistically, the original starter might make it to 150k then you get a good quality replacement and make it another 100k.

Pulling off the intake twice in a 300k ownership period is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Well, I'm at about 220K and this thing is perfect. Borrowed time, perhaps?
Look at how beat up it is; never seen the inside of a garage! Sucks the expensive CA gas, though...
Full disclosure, the reason the body is this spiffed up is @The Critic had it for a few days and went to town on a detail, out of his kindness.
1697909835998.png

Last edited:
I like white cars and trucks.
I prefer vanilla in my ice cream cone, rather than on my car.
There are some nice whites out there in the automotive world, but not with my money.

I like my cars to actually have a color on them.

Rosso Etna on the Stelvio.
Dark Blue Metallic on the Cayman.
Nero Metallic on the Abarth.
Ducati Red for the 848, while the SuperSport is Titanium Grey, and my wife's Scrambler is Silver.

For me, white gets shamefully filthy driving in the winter.
Had a white patrol car many decades ago, and promised myself that I would never subject myself to that willingly, ever.

Still, easier job than spark plugs on my Toyota minivan
Its been a long time since any van was easy to work on. maybe a 1965 Econoline with the 200 six wasn't too bad.. but its went steadily downhill ever since then.

I prefer vanilla in my ice cream cone, rather than on my car.
There are some nice whites out there in the automotive world, but not with my money.

I like my cars to actually have a color on them.

Rosso Etna on the Stelvio.
Dark Blue Metallic on the Cayman.
Nero Metallic on the Abarth.
Ducati Red for the 848, while the SuperSport is Titanium Grey, and my wife's Scrambler is Silver.

For me, white gets shamefully filthy driving in the winter.
Had a white patrol car many decades ago, and promised myself that I would never subject myself to that willingly, ever.
2 objections..white is an actually color, titanium grey or any grey or silver is not a color.
for me white is the only color that my friends are jealous bcs it doesnt get filthy on winter.
i didnt choose it, it was the only one in stock and paired with the interior color i wanted. i was skeptical bcs it was full of whites at the early 2010's .i wanted a color like the others you have ,dark blue or silver-blue .

Yep, I agree with you.

I was thinking about leasing an M3 or M4 Competition, beautiful cars that are basically throw away vehicles after 50K miles when they start breaking down and big $$$ repairs.
woman I know loves em, leases a new Bimmer every couple years... drops it off for the "free service",, they give her a loaner... picks her car up and drives it,, then gets another... that buying method suits people who understand they will have a car payment the rest of their life..

you get someone like me, who has bought exactly one new vehicle since 1995 and am generally the last owner of a vehicle,
those cars aren't aimed at me..

but even if you wanted to keep a today vehicle for so long time like you did ,you cant anymore..bcs. old vehicles were good cars with good engines ,more simple electronics and not so complicated engine designs.
today cars ,especially bimmers don't last more than 100.000 miles without changing almost every part on it ,its like buying a new car.
i mean, everytime i decide to take a long ride , i am thinking of how many engine lights will pop up on my bc..

there was a research here in Europe between the owners of german cars ,about which brand are you most satisfied with?
mercedes was the winner with more than 55% of the owners happy and vw ,audi and bmw below 35%. bmw pays the price for 2004 models and later which were the worst in problems.

Yep, I agree with you.

Not saying you are wrong, but if you just google “high mileage M3” and click on “images”, you’ll see that that there are plenty of M3s with large odometer readings

Late model BMWs has become to high mileage what Dan Quayle was to the Vice-Presidency.

Come to think of it. Do Yuppies still buy BMWs?

Yep, I agree with you.

Hmm, since when? M3 are after Miata most popular vehicles on the track. They ain’t there bcs. they break down.
Is this: my brothers girlfriend brother friend had a cousin with M3?

Late model BMWs has become to high mileage what Dan Quayle was to the Vice-Presidency.

Come to think of it. Do Yuppies still buy BMWs?

Well, literally the first result for high mileage bmw 7 series was this Reddit image of a 2017 7 series with 184,000 miles on the odometer with a caption “still going strong”

IMG_5482.jpeg

Not saying you are wrong, but if you just google “high mileage M3” and click on “images”, you’ll see that that there are plenty of M3s with large odometer readings

I meant a brand new 2024 M3 or M4 with all the electronics and high tech features.

I would lease it, enjoy and race it…. then turn it back in without any worries at end of lease.

I’ve got a heavy right foot and do not hesitate to enjoy the power unlike old men driving M powered vehicles for show.

Last edited:
What a terrible vehicle if it needs $8,000 worth of maintenance and repair after only doing a mere 30,000 miles. 😳🤯🫣 🤦🏻‍♂️

My 10 year old Mazda 3 has 130,000 miles and has gotten nothing but oil changes.

My 11 year old GMC Acadia has 165,000 miles and is STILL on the factory spark plugs, coolant, valve cover gaskets, etc. Runs Like New. 💪🏻😎👍🏼

I must be the lucky exception to the rule. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back