Took my 2020 Bimmer to the dealer for an oil change…

I recently took my CPO 2020 M550 with 29,xxx miles on the clock, that I’ve owned for less than half a year, to a dealer for a routine service: hahaha

IMG_5404.jpeg

Due to a line, oil change and inspection was going to take a day+, so I got a free loaner: an all electric, “about 500 hp”, I guess an equivalent to an X5(?) SUV witha base price of nearly $90k. Not too shabby for treating a customer right. I felt teleported into the 22nd century when I got inside. Drove futuristically too. My 5 series felt like an Econo Lodge in comparison. Haha
IMG_5405.jpeg

But I digress. Turns out my CPO bimmer with 29k miles that I’ve owned for less than half a year needed new rear driveshaft flex disk, some friction rings/1 per corner to cure factory F up related to mating of the wheel to the hub or something, and a new front differential! They really perform and are thorough with the multipoint inspection!

If not for warranty, it would all tab at $8 grand, LOL! Diff job is $6.5 of that.

IMG_5403.jpeg

I also had a bent wheel ($250) and needed two new tires ($1,000 😱). Dealer charged $250 for alignment. Had I not had the warranty, the visit would have tabbed around $10k 😁. Mind you, I really went in expecting a glorified oil change, lol!

I recently took my CPO 2020 M550 with 29,xxx miles on the clock, that I’ve owned for less than half a year, to a dealer for a routine service: hahaha

View attachment 183522

Due to a line, oil change and inspection was going to take a day+, so I got a free loaner: an all electric, “about 500 hp”, I guess an equivalent to an X5(?) SUV witha base price of nearly $90k. Not too shabby for treating a customer right. I felt teleported into the 22nd century when I got inside. Drove futuristically too. My 5 series felt like an Econo Lodge in comparison. Haha
View attachment 183524

But I digress. Turns out my CPO bimmer with 29k miles that I’ve owned for less than half a year needed new rear driveshaft flex disk, some friction rings/1 per corner to cure factory F up related to mating of the wheel to the hub or something, and a new front differential! They really perform and are thorough with the multipoint inspection!

If not for warranty, it would all tab at $8 grand, LOL! Diff job is $6.5 of that.

View attachment 183526

I also had a bent wheel ($250) and needed two new tires ($1,000 😱). Dealer charged $250 for alignment. Had I not had the warranty, the visit would have tabbed around $10k 😁. Mind you, I really went in expecting a glorified oil change, lol!
This is why I stick with Mercedes. BMWs are always the fastest, but thier quality control has always been suspect at best.

Nice to have that warranty, and a wise choice on a used BMW.

Back when I had one, my dealer would always put me in a brand new loaner. They even allowed me to use it on a kind of long road trip of about 500 miles so long as it came back with a full tank like it went out with.

BMW dealers do that to get you thinking of a new one to replace yours that’s in being serviced. I did consider it a couple of times. 😎

How'd the wheel get bent? That's what I'm wondering.

I’m conjecturing that “CPO” is a sort of a Micky Mouse affair on a 3 year old car with 24k miles (when I got it). I don’t recall meeting any meaningful pothole with my wheel and the roads where I live are really great, but human beings are not reliable witnesses, so… In any event, with 35 profile tires upfront and 30 in the rear it probably isn’t terribly a complicated affair to bend the 20 inch wheel. I tried to convince the selling dealer to swap them for 19s, which are standard on these cars, but he wouldn’t budge (wheels are tied to CPO somehow type of flatulence).

My plan is to go for 19s or maybe even 18s, ether with a square tire set up. I only fly on the local freeways and so don’t need the current staggered set up.

20% of the new car price is probably for future warranty claims. You paid what, half off new for a 3 year old car? You saved over $30,000 instead of buying new for a like new car. You're still way ahead as you will never spend anywhere near that much on repairs over the next five years.

20% of the new car price is probably for future warranty claims. You paid what, half off new for a 3 year old car? You saved over $30,000 instead of buying new for a like new car. You're still way ahead as you will never spend anywhere near that much on repairs over the next five years.

Yes, saved about $30k, though M550 was never a $60k car. That would be a basic 5 series with a Premium package 1 or something 😀.

To be plain-spoken though I’m not yet overly concerned. The driveshaft’s rear flex disk cracking is on the radar of the bimmer community, but the front differential fiasco appears to be a pink rhinoceros, as far as I can tell. I’ve got over 2 years of warranty left (car is still under new car warranty) so will see how it ages

I doubt the prices and they did it all in one day? I’m skeptical.
A driveshaft flex disc is not a major job. Are they making the customer feel good? You bet. Could it be some new tactic to keep them coming back? 🤔

They kept the car for 4 days. Car went in for a glorified oil change, but the multipoint inspection paid off.

Flex disk is indeed a peanuts job, so to speak. But the front differential replacement is sufficiently “heavy duty” type of an affair. The tab for it is $6.5k.

They kept the car for 4 days. Car went in for a glorified oil change, but the multipoint inspection paid off.

Flex disk is indeed a peanuts job, so to speak. But the front differential replacement is sufficiently “heavy duty” type of an affair. The tab for it is $6.5k.
OK, that makes sense. I thought it was all done in one day. Thanks for clarifying.

BMW= Bring My Wallet.
about 3/4 of that type of car are leased , so the 1st "owner" is a leasee. gets it all for the price of renting a new car.
it is the 2nd and especially the 3rd owner who gets to pay the accrued hidden interest on those type of automobiles.

Back