My 6.7 Cummins is having a daily regen. Do I need to worry about oil dilution?

My 6.7 Cummins is going into regen mode every day.. I’ve put 46k miles on it in 20 months. It has A LOT of highway mileage, never thought I’d worry about a DPF issue this soon.

Made an appointment at my RAM dealer. Tech said it had something to do with the emissions equipment.

Anyway, I can’t get it in for another 12 days. Is fuel dilution for the diesel oil going to be a problem?

RAM dealer said daily regens won’t dilute the oil. Wanted to know what people here think.

There is a little bit of dilution but it's not a big deal since you put a lot of highway miles on it which helps remove dilution through flashing it off.

Even if I’m having a daily regen?
If it were doing daily regens for weeks yes then it's an issue but i imagine you contacted the dealer within the week it started. But how many days has it been doing this? If it's just a few days no big deal.

If it were doing daily regens for weeks yes then it's an issue but i imagine you contacted the dealer within the week it started. But how many days has it been doing this? If it's just a few days no big deal.

Everyday since last sunday

After five days of daily regens the check engine light came on with no messages.

did you just buy fuel when issue arose? bad fuel clogs injectors

Yeah I wondered that. I put 75$$ dollars in at a gas station I’ve never bought diesel from. Kept the receipt and that’s when I started noticing the issue. But I topped off at another more trustworthy source and I’m still having the issue

Yeah I wondered that. I put 75$$ dollars in at a gas station I’ve never bought diesel from. Kept the receipt and that’s when I started noticing the issue. But I topped off at another more trustworthy source and I’m still having the issue
thats your problem dont top it off run it off change your fuel filters and throw soe good injector cleaner in it.

Does the regen get to complete? I though most systems spray directly into the exhaust, but I may be wrong.

Up until yesterday, yes i've always let it complete but yesterday due to the frequency I didnt let it.

I don't know how the 6.7 Cummins DPF regen works, don't know if it sprays diesel in the exhaust or if it injects more diesel in the combustion chamber to raise engine temps. i dont know.

Up until yesterday, yes i've always let it complete but yesterday due to the frequency I didnt let it.

I don't know how the 6.7 Cummins DPF regen works, don't know if it sprays diesel in the exhaust or if it injects more diesel in the combustion chamber to raise engine temps. i dont know.
Cummins Regen doesn't use an additional injector in the exhaust.

In a former life, I use to review all the warranty returns of "bad DPFs". Some of them were definitely failures, but a lot of them time it seemed like a control system failure, or some sort of sensor failure that would cause the technician to replace the DPF.

Everyday since last sunday
Less than a week isn't a problem. You say the oil level hasn't risen but I don't know if it was a little low and maybe was right at the fill mark when you checked. If it was at full before something failed then you'd know you have dilution since the level would rise notably. If it hasn't then you're good. Also them blaming the oil filter is both hilarious and absurd. That won't do anything to make it regen daily.

Back