My 2016 Ford Fiesta Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because Ford improved the clutch other hardware bits and software for the 2016 model year. 120k transmission life is "competitive" with the avg Nissan CVT or econobox FCA offering, it's no Corolla so if that's what you want go find a stick sift one and thank yourself for your wise financial decision. Here is some more info on the DCT and some owner input. Good luck with it whatever you decide to do.
https://www.autonews.com/article/20...ch-transmission-right-but-is-it-too-late

For the cost you've been quoted, it looks like the dealer will be doing the ignition lock cylinder housing removal and replacement.

If you can find a good mobile mechanic, consider bringing the vehicle home and having them do the work. Their labor rate is much less so you'll save money if they diagnose the same work, and you'll save even more if it's just the cylinder needing replacement.

In all of the complaints to carcomplaints dot com for the 2016 Fiesta, none of them are for the ignition key lock cylinder.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
The 2016 Fiesta seems to be one of the best cars according to Car Complaints dot com.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/best_vehicles/

It's not perfect but it should be OK once I pay for this repair.

I agree that if you have a 2016+ dry clutch DCT in the Fiesta or Focus and you drive fairly gently you probably wont 't have any issues with it until way after 150k miles.

But the best suggestion is to buy the manual transmission version, they are good units shift with great positive action and will NEVER give you any trouble unless you track the car.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
could a locksmith have replaced the cylinder?

I used to have a locksmith make my $150 Honda keys with the chip thing in it for $12.

OP how many keys on your keyring?

Originally Posted by AC1DD

I agree that if you have a 2016+ dry clutch DCT in the Fiesta or Focus and you drive fairly gently you probably wont 't have any issues with it until way after 150k miles.

But the best suggestion is to buy the manual transmission version, they are good units shift with great positive action and will NEVER give you any trouble unless you track the car.

I don't think my car has the "dry clutch."
I had the (Motorcraft) ATF changed by a local reputable transmission shop.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Originally Posted by edwardh1
could a locksmith have replaced the cylinder?

I used to have a locksmith make my $150 Honda keys with the chip thing in it for $12.

OP how many keys on your keyring?

Just the ignition key on the one I use when the car is being driven.

I don't think my car has the "dry clutch."
I had the (Motorcraft) ATF changed by a local reputable transmission shop.

Wow! All US bound Fiesta from 2011-2019 have the dry clutch DCT (which is absolutely NOT a regular geared automatic), if they put ATF in that unit, you better head back over and and tell them that they owe you a new DCT transmission!
No kidding! They screwed up BIG TIME!

Last edited:
If they put ATF in that unit, you better head back over and and tell them that they owe you a new DCT transmission!

Or they simply charged him for the fluid change without actually doing anything.

Wow! All US bound Fiesta from 2011-2019 have the dry clutch DCT (which is absolutely NOT a regular geared automatic), if they put ATF in that unit, you better head back over and and tell them that they owe you a new DCT transmission!

LoL. The car shifts very well. The tranny man has been in business for over 40 years and is supposed to be the best in the area.

DCT stands for Dual Clutch Transmission,. not dry clutch transmission the last I knew.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
If they put ATF in that unit, you better head back over and and tell them that they owe you a new DCT transmission!

Or they simply charged him for the fluid change without actually doing anything.

Absolutely. Here we go again.

I guessing $400 is impactful to your financial picture? It seems like when people have less money in hand make more rash emotional decisions that do not consider things like intense depreciation and cost of acquiring something else.

My sister thought $1400 repair on a paid for Toyota RAV4 in good condition with 120k was too much and traded it for a CRV With all $350 payments for 72 months!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
I guessing $400 is impactful to your financial picture? It seems like when people have less money in hand make more rash emotional decisions that do not consider things like intense depreciation and cost of acquiring something else.

My sister thought $1400 repair on a paid for Toyota RAV4 in good condition with 120k was too much and traded it for a CRV With all $350 payments for 72 months!

The $436 won't impact me much but it's an expense I wasn't expecting. And of all the problems the '16 Fiesta has had on Car Complaints dot com, this doesn't seem to be one of them. The Ford tech did tell me he's seen a few of them fail but not necessarily on the Fiesta.
I'll probably keep running the car. Good chance it will be a long time, or even never that I have another freak breakdown like this again.
I made a mistake of having it towed to Ford. I assumed it was still under warranty but it expired at 48k miles. It has a power train warranty up to 100k miles or to August 2023. I could have saved $100 or so if I'd had a locksmith replace the lock cylinder and/or any failed switches. I'll be glad to get her back in a few days.

LoL. The car shifts very well. The tranny man has been in business for over 40 years and is supposed to be the best in the area.

DCT stands for Dual Clutch Transmission,. not dry clutch transmission the last I knew.

Except there are TWO versions of the DCT (I know it stands for "Dual Clutch Transmission") however there are dry and wet versions.
If you have Motorcraft ATF (Probably Mercon LV or V) in that unit it WILL damage it eventually, this is what your RO stated? Correct?
You NEED to return there and have them drain it ALL out, and replace with the proper DCT fluid.

Doesn't matter if the shop has been in business for 40 years, they probably don't see many DCTs where you're at.
In any case the guy screwed up royally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx

That's a pretty good possibility, hopefully for the owner you are correct!

"RO stated"? What's "RO"?

He added the same type of expensive fluid [made by Motorcraft] that the local Ford dealer was going to add, but for about 1/2 of the cost.
Ford wanted about $320, this guy did it for about $160. He's a good man and I doubt he added the wrong fluid.

"RO stated"? What's "RO"?

He added the same type of expensive fluid [made by Motorcraft] that the local Ford dealer was going to add, but for about 1/2 of the cost.
Ford wanted about $320, this guy did it for about $160. He's a good man and I doubt he added the wrong fluid.

Competent mechanics use the internet to look up parts by vin. I would not worry either. They don't have fluid on the hand typically.

A similar example was I had my rear difff fluid Acura SH-AWD changed for $75(fluid/labor) instead of $150 at dealer. The mechanic told me it took 15 mins while he did an oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew

Oh, you're trying to refute the DCT problems from ford again. Are you one of their lawyers, cause that would make sense?

You can do your own research and see. Please, join us on focusfanatics and say how reliable the powershift trans is.

1) Other than owning a 2017 Fiesta, I have no affiliation with Ford at all.
2) I only refute ignorant, bad information when I see it posted.
3) I do not own a Focus, so there is no reason for me to visit that site. Fiestas are the subject here. Even if trans is same, vehicle weight and other variables abound.
4) Hope you saw the numerous posts after your meltdown. Are they posted by "Ford lawyers", too? Is CarComplaints a "Ford lawyer" site? You appear as a disgruntled Focus owner with an axe to grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back