Motorcycle groups and Jeep groups

The Land Cruiser crowd is large and proud group of owners. There are chapters and events all over the country.

1704952967886.jpg

Yes.

My Jeep is a nice weather vehicle, sees less than 3000 miles a year. Every time I go to drive it after winter I have to think for a minute about why all these people are waving at me.
Mine is much the same. It's a 2015 and it just turned 18,000 miles. I last changed the oil on 10/1/23, almost 3-1/2 months ago. I just checked the, "oil change meter", (or whatever they call it), yesterday, and it's been driven 283 miles since then. I keep it on a Noco Genius 1 Battery Tender.

Our Evo group used to go 8-12 cars deep. The complexity of driving in a large group is difficult though because of different driving styles and traffic. 3 was probably the best amount to drive around with. Anything over 10 really starts to get iffy. Other car groups would do the same thing but because of the backlash the general public and law enforcement had towards groups like that, nobody goes out in groups anymore unless they're usually up to some mischief (also why cars are a dying hobby.)

Back to the original idea of this thread, our area is an day trip destination for people living in Phoenix. I see groups of Corvettes, Shelby Cobras, Porsches, Ferraris, Teslas, Slingshots, VW buses, and on, come by on their little tour loop. Funniest group was a big bunch of Smart Cars, they seem to like to wrap their cars with bright colors and patterns. Off road, when a group gets past around 6 whatevers, Jeeps, mountain bikes, dirt bikes, etc. the odds go up you're going to be waiting on someone for some reason. The harder the trail the more waiting involved.

Maybe I’m an exception, but most all of the car guys that I hang around with aren’t snobs about particular brands. One group I belong to has BMW, Challenger, Corvette, Mercedes-AMG, Mustang, Lamborghini, Lotus, and Porsche owners. And like me, several also have a Wrangler in the garage.

Depends on the group.

Packard Club does multi-day group tours including luxury accommodations, and fine dining. A annual banquet in SoCal. They look like great fun.

Mercedes Club has get togethers, including garage sessions in which more experienced members help diagnose and/or fix cars, and including nice day drives, or multi day tours.

Just because you haven’t heard of it, doesn’t mean that they don’t exist. Granted, Mercedes owners, and Packard owners, aren’t like Camry owners, but there are enthusiast groups outside of Jeeps and Motorcycles.

The Wrangler in the photo is a pretty stock looking TJ which would have no problems running with the modded Xterras it's lined up with. I own both , the Xterra is on loan to daughter. A highly modded Xterra can run with a mild Jeep. A stock Xterra gets left behind by a stock Wrangler. The IFS just holds the Xterra back. I like both but the Jeep is just better offroad. You would never see a blinged out mall crawler Jeep lined up for a trail run at Moab.

You're right but this photo isn't an example of it.
Hence the reason Jeeps are never much liked, the arrogance.

Most Xterra off-roaders owned Jeeps in the past. I have. They got tired of being confused with all the mall crawlers, or the idiots that go off road and screw up things for everyone else by wrecking the trails or hurting themselves or failing to leave no trace when they camp.

No one ever said an Xterra was the best off - road. But 2nd gen Xtera's are better as an all around family vehicle / mild off roader. The people that own them are always happy to lend a fellow Nissan enthusiast a hand. I have had guys from the boards literally send me part for free because I posted "wanted to buy". There like I have an extra, send me your address. People I never met.

PS - this Xterra is stock. I am sure a TJ could make this fine, maybe even easier. But a family of 4 would not enjoy the ride home in the TJ anywhere near as much.

Depends on the group.

Packard Club does multi-day group tours including luxury accommodations, and fine dining. A annual banquet in SoCal. They look like great fun.

Mercedes Club has get togethers, including garage sessions in which more experienced members help diagnose and/or fix cars, and including nice day drives, or multi day tours.

Just because you haven’t heard of it, doesn’t mean that they don’t exist. Granted, Mercedes owners, and Packard owners, aren’t like Camry owners, but there are enthusiast groups outside of Jeeps and Motorcycles.
BMW CCA and PCA conduct all sorts of driving events (HPDEs, autocrosses, TSD rallies, etc.), tech sessions and social events.
In addition, my local BMW CCA and MBCA chapters host 3-4 tours every year and at least one HPDE.

My fishing buddy is in a Porche club - him/her go to out of state stuff with all they can cram into a 911 … Always excited to tell about the people and places - even more so than the cars …

Last edited:
My fishing buddy is in a Porche club - him/her go to out of state stuff with all they can cram into a 911 … Always excited to tell about the people and places - even more so than the cars …
I think when you meet people that have common but unique interests, everything else becomes more interesting due to the common thread.

Hence the reason Jeeps are never much liked, the arrogance.
Not sure why you’re making this a wrangler vs xterra thing. I own an 02 xterra and an 02 wrangler. Different vehicles and I like both of them. If you want to compare vehicles to seat 4 comfortably talk about gen 1 exterras and LJ wranglers or Gen 2 xterras and 4 door wranglers. There are plenty of examples on the boards and YouTube of idiots wheeling both. Your video is a gen 2 pro4-x so you should be comparing it to a 4 door wrangler rubicon. I don’t do groups so the stuff that bothers you doesn’t affect me. The whole duck thing the street jeeps do is idiotic but it’s their deal.

Not sure why you’re making this a wrangler vs xterra thing. I own an 02 xterra and an 02 wrangler. Different vehicles and I like both of them. If you want to compare vehicles to seat 4 comfortably talk about gen 1 exterras and LJ wranglers or Gen 2 xterras and 4 door wranglers. There are plenty of examples on the boards and YouTube of idiots wheeling both. Your video is a gen 2 pro4-x so you should be comparing it to a 4 door wrangler rubicon. I don’t do groups so the stuff that bothers you doesn’t affect me. The whole duck thing the street jeeps do is idiotic but it’s their deal.
Your the one who made it such. I commented that Nissan groups are welcoming of other brands, if someone would vouch for them, but other off road group brands don't reciprocate. To which you immediately replied with these, which essentially proved my point?

So I think your the one that made it a Wrangler vs whatever.

I can add as well that the TJ in my original pic belongs to one of the Nissan board mod's - who also owns an Xterra, but had his jeep for whatever reason. Someone popped their Xterra plastic grill out - its 4 clips on Gen 2 - and zipped tied the Nissan Cheesburger to the Front of the jeep as an honorary member. I tried to find the video but I can't.

The Jeep likely has to promise to try very hard not to show up all the Nissan whatevers on the trail.

The Wrangler in the photo is a pretty stock looking TJ which would have no problems running with the modded Xterras it's lined up with.
A stock Xterra gets left behind by a stock Wrangler.

Last edited:
I rented the trail rated Cherokee - was surprisingly comfortable - and still kept it real with 4Lo in the mix of automated drive combo’s …
Its not as small as it looks because they obviously wanted the approach and departure that Jeep is known for …

Back