Loud motorcycles are back

If everything is outlawed that idiot people misuse or abuse, there wouldn't be hardly anything still legal to own. :LOL: Nobody is going to outlaw all motorcycles because of some people that modify the exhaust to be super loud. If anything, they might try to outlaw some aftermarket parts, like loud exhaust systems or mufflers.

There are loud cars and trucks too, so they should ban all of them too. We'll all be riding horses again soon, lol.

Crack down on noise laws. There use to be way more loud cars and motorcycles around my high populaton area, but over the years police have slowly changed that by writing noise/equipment tickets, and people get sick of paying fines.
I guess I would rather have the police cracking down on other crime like car jackings, robberies, theft, etc.

I guess I would rather have the police cracking down on other crime like car jackings, robberies, theft, etc.
Of course ... but with the way things are going these days, I'm sure someone crusing around with loud pipes isn't at the top of the list for police. Many years ago around here, it was something they cracked down on pretty good.

Point was that "outlawing" all loud vehicles is never going to happen. That's why there are already noise and equipment laws associated with motor vehicles.

1647630525072.jpg

We lived in the country on a State highway about 1/2 a mile out of a town where the speed limit opened back up. About 10PM Friday night to about 2AM on Saturday morning, our stretch would always sound like a race track. In the Spring, any early warm weather days were the same way.

My wife started hating Harley's because of that. We don't live there anymore.

Different strokes. I prefer the quiet, smooth, vibration free, power of my inline four.

I live on the corner of two fairly busy state highways. Many motorcycles and on weekends I could swear that they outnumber cars. Plenty of very loud straight biked HD's and no baffle race exhaust sport bikes in the past. The loud bike pipes seem to have nearly disappeared in the past five years. There's a growing 1%er presence in the general area and they still have loud pipes. The insane decibel level noise I get now is from cars and pickups with some very loud pipes. Everything from ratted out Cavaliers to Challengers to 7 series BMW's. Then there's the massive bro-dozer crowd and their gasoline cousins with the loudest pipes of all. No one is going to get cracked down on because there has been a zero police presence for years. Especially for traffic matters.

In the 60's-early 70's, the Triumphs, BSA's and Nortons ruled the Earth around here. Nearly every one of them with straight through TT pipes cut off under the engine crankcase. You haven't heard loud unless you've heard a group of 20 of them go by.

I like a loud Harley as much as anyone and there’s a lot around here. We even have 3. Here it’s the Dodge diesel crowd that is as much or more of a problem. I don’t ride as I have a serious problem with keeping something with two wheels under me instead of on top of me but I sure love the sound.

summers, as soon as the sun goes down, all through out the rural hills U hear the stock cars racing.
It seems the lights let them know of approaching vehicles so "get out of the other lane on bends".
Also is common common knowledge to stay off the streets. Well, who wants to go out then anyway?
Home from wrk (time for more wrk) don't wanna leave, X2 relax...

Man... some of you guys are angry. :LOL: I've been annoyed by loud straight piped bikes (it's usually accompanied by other bad driving behavior), but I've never thought about injuring someone or making it so they can't ride over it.
I had a neighbor ready to wait up for a guy on a chopper with a rifle. Open pipes. 2am. EVERY NIGHT. It literally shook the walls-far and away the loudest bike I've ever heard. It was on the level of a NASCAR engine.

It's time to mandate unaltered factory exhaust on all bikes. I'm sick of stupid.

Last edited:
Hmmmm ... sooo sure of that huh?
You mean those little tiny sport bikes that only go out for a couple hours a day?
Certainly can't take multiday trips two up and with luggage cruising at 80 MPH for hours at a time and rarely (actually never) do I ever see one riding through thunder storms, torrential rains and high winds ... sport bikes are good machines but your kidding yourself if you think you are superior in anyway.
(which by your post you seem to think so)

You should know, just like 4 wheel vehicles there is a purpose to each type of machine.
The last IB Rally winner was on a Hayabusa.

The last IB Rally winner was on a Hayabusa.
I believe most all contestants were on Sport Tourers. Im not talking rallies, Im talking two up vacations and cruising.
I love Sport Cruisers but my wife wont get on one, she thinks they are too high up off the ground and not comfortable enough. I still may have one, one day, like an inexpensive Concours 14 but having two bikes is quickly fading away. Only thing I hate about the metrics is replacing tires every 6k

At any rate, loud motorcycles won't be back around here for a while, 3 months or so. If it's not cold, it's raining.
BTW - loud pipes are childish to me, just like with cars too.
I run the stock EPA approved pipes on my Road King, has enough feel good rumble without makes my ears ring. I do like the rumble just the same any sporty car.
But modified to ear piercing noise is crazy

If people simply swap out pipes for looks and sound on any vehicle without changes to the AFR chances are they diminishing low end torque on their vehicle.
I suggest that most do more harm than good because they don’t do things correctly.

Honestly, most of them run so poorly that they need to be revved every second or two so they don't die. It really is a necessity to keep them alive.
My other favorite is how many owners tune the idle so low to sound cool that they literally starve the engine of oil...just idling an air cooled engine at such a low speed, and they eat themselves alive.

Meh - all in the realm of looking (sounding) cool I guess.

I had a neighbor ready to wait up for a guy on a chopper with a rifle. Open pipes. 2am. EVERY NIGHT. It literally shook the walls-far and away the loudest bike I've ever heard. It was on the level of a NASCAR engine.

It's time to mandate unaltered factory exhaust on all bikes. I'm sick of stupid.
There are mandates and laws for everything including speed limits, window tinting, license plate covers. Exhaust pipes, which nobody who wants to ignore follows and only a select few get ticketed.

Back