Loud motorcycles are back

I love motorcycles. I currently own 3 and would have more if I had the financial capacity to buy, store, and maintain them,
my job is in the industry, and pre-Covid, I commuted to work and got a decent amount of riding in. Now, we are mostly WFH, so my riding is weekends and after work.
Spring is in the air here in the Northeast, and already the insanely loud motorcycles are out. Aftermarket pipes are one thing, but straight pipes are a whole other level of loud. Lots of these riders don’t use any judgement either, constantly revving at stops and hammering the bike past people’s houses.
Most of them are are not properly tuned, causing even more annoying pops, spits, and backfires.
Some clown just flew down my street, ( residential area) no baffles at all, and left a shower of sparks as he leaned ( very few degrees- custom chopper) through the corner leading to the main road.
I‘m not against having fun on a rural road, or doing a track day, but folks….. this is why a large number of non riding people hate motorcycles.
There would not be motorcycle check points if constitutes didn’t complain to elected reps.
when in a residential area, go easy on the throttle and upshift, so as not to disturb people.
Loud pipes really don’t add much, if any “performance“ on today’s computer controlled bikes, so cool it with the volume. Stunting, loud exhaust, and generally acting like a jerk are harmful to motorcycling in the long run.
if you don’t think that motorcycles could be legislated out of existence, think again.
ride safe,

I've been riding off and on for fifty-five years. Never understood the need some have to announce their presence by assaulting another's peace and tranquility.

A motorcyclist is just a motorist on two wheels, nothing more.

1647474636741.jpg

Where I used to live, I had a neighbor that would come home about 10pm revving the crap out of his straight-piped Harley. One day I got fed up with it and told him to have some respect for his neighbors, and he acted like he had no idea that anyone would have a problem with it.

That's one of many reasons I no longer live there.

the new loud bike tends to be the typical sub-90hp Harley sporting a 240 watt sound system built into a fairing : l
why? bike with floorboards too boring to ride ?
I’ve run into that also- bikes with sound systems cranking at crazy volumes. Comes down to respect for others. There are very good in helmet speakers that sound good and allow the rider to hear sirens, horns, etc.
you would have to wear a helmet however to use these in helmet speaker systems……

I can’t believe that the rider can’t lower the volume around town.

I hear you there. This loud pipe movement is ruining our sport. It's one thing to be out in the desert racing. Quite another when these idiots rev their bikes under bridges and in quiet neighborhoods.

What I find distressing is this behavior from grown men. I have a cure for it though. Just carry around a broom stick and jam it in the offending parties front wheel.

My first cruiser bought new in 1999 at my request, came with loud chrome pipes. I was completely surprised every time a neighbor and even my employer asked me firmly to push my 600 pound bike down the street before starting it because the noise was disturbing them. I viewed the noise as free ear candy for them and thought they were being unreasonable. Paying extra for those loud pipes lead to nothing but headaches, pun intended.

I hear you there. This loud pipe movement is ruining our sport. It's one thing to be out in the desert racing. Quite another when these idiots rev their bikes under bridges and in quiet neighborhoods.

What I find distressing is this behavior from grown men. I have a cure for it though. Just carry around a broom stick and jam it in the offending parties front wheel.
Believe the stick in the spokes thing was first done in the movie The Wild ones with marlon Brando in 1953.

Cruisers are definitely frequent offenders, but some of the inline four sport bikes are equally loud.
non motorcycle people don’t really know the diff- they think all MC are loud.

Cruisers are definitely frequent offenders, but some of the inline four sport bikes are equally loud.
non motorcycle people don’t really know the diff- they think all MC are loud.

Harleys supposedly have a unique "potato potato potato" sound, but to me they sound like a lawn tractor with no muffler, just (usually) much louder.

And the inline four sport bikes sound like a Honda Civic with a fart can, except with a higher pitch.

Incidentally my 4-banger Nissan Frontier had an exhaust leak between the manifold and the cat which sounded just like that. I got it fixed.

A lot of guys swear that loud pipes save lives. A lot of people will run a bike over while looking at their phone. The straight pipes might actually get their attention. I have no problem with it as long as it isn't reving for minutes at a time in front of my house. If they drive by it is loud for a couple seconds. I can deal with it.

Back