Mobil Super Synthetic VS. Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is both are full synthetic . How do they compare to each other ? To other synthetic oils ?

We bought a 2015 Sonic LS 1.8l Automatic about a month ago . The warranty requires Dexos specification for oil . Which , from what I can determine , equates to either full synthetic or synthetic blend .

Both of the Mobil synthetics carry the Dexos brand . Would they be as good or better than the Dexos oil Chevy put into the car ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

The AC syn-blend dexos oil that GM dealers use is nothing special according to UOA's that I've seen. Mobil 1 is much better. I haven't seen UOA's of SS but I'm sure it's at least as good as the AC stuff.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
My understanding is both are full synthetic . How do they compare to each other ? To other synthetic oils ?

The Mobil 1 Extended Performance, and cheap in 5-quart jugs at Walmart or Amazon, is the best among the dexos1-qualified oils out there. Also the Castrol Edge Extended Performance gold jugs, same possible sources, is also as good. Thats the best you can do. I've looked for a while at oil analysis and can only tell that those "long-drain" full synth oils offer more PAO in general in their basestock, and greater endurance. If you want the best that is. If you are OK with 2nd best, then any full-synthetic that mentions dexos1 on the bottle will do. If you are OK with 3rd best, then any semi-synthetic that mentions dexos1....

Which , from what I can determine , equates to either full synthetic or synthetic blend .
Yes, correct, no dexos1 qualified oil is available in a conventional oil. Wish it was. The dexos1 spec is too tough to meet for cheapo oils.

Both of the Mobil synthetics carry the Dexos brand . Would they be as good or better than the Dexos oil Chevy put into the car ?

Chevy uses their own GM-brand AC-Delco semi-synthetic dexos1 oil made for them by Conoco-Phillips, like Kendall GT-1 semi-synth oil and Motorcraft semi-syn. Its just barely good enough to meet dexos1 performance requirements, still good enough though.

Your car will tell you when its time to change the oil, a light on the dash. Its great to go by that, and you can use whatever quality level oil you want, as long as it says dexos1 on it at a minimum.

AC Delco Dexos1 oil is made by ExxonMobil

http://www.jbco.com/_SDS/Acdelco Dexos1 5W-30.pdf

Formulas can vary from weight to weight, but if you take 5w-30 for instance.

Mobil Super Synthetic is primarily a group 3 oil, Mobil 1 is a blend of group 3 and 4 oil. The additive packages are different too, with Mobil 1 using th stronger add pack of the two.

This information is all available from both the MSDS for the product as well as the VOA's on the PQIA website.

Thanks BikeW, I do enjoy being told I'm wrong.... I am wrong there. Those contracts are handed out and the supplier changes. I think all AC-Delco cares about is the cheapest barely-adequate dexos1 worthy formula, so it could be anybody supplying it.
Thought Conoco-Phillips had the contract a while back, not sure I guess.

Bottom line, on the diffs between M1 Super and M1 (and M1 Ext Perf), you should get less piston ring deposits (WPD) per 5,000 mile increments, the more expensive the M1 flavor you use. Every other performance measure I think is very similar between all those M1 flavors. So thats where your money goes!

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Thanks BikeW, I do enjoy being told I'm wrong.... I am wrong there. Those contracts are handed out and the supplier changes. I think all AC-Delco cares about is the cheapest barely-adequate dexos1 worthy formula, so it could be anybody supplying it.
Thought Conoco-Phillips had the contract a while back, not sure I guess.

GM's has had a long relationship with ExxonMobil, they have been the oil supplier to their dealer network as well as OEM fill on GM vehicles for a while now.

The AC Delco dexos is an Exxon Mobil syn blend, so either XOM full syn should be more than adequate on your Sonic
smile.gif

For those cars, just use the cheapest dexos on sale and follow he OLM

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
For a few bucks more, just use the mobil 1.....

I agree, except when MSS goes on clearance! I seem to always see that stuff on clearance because no one buys it. It's a great oil if you can buy it for $3 a qt or so during a sale.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

I agree, except when MSS goes on clearance! I seem to always see that stuff on clearance because no one buys it. It's a great oil if you can buy it for $3 a qt or so during a sale.

True!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

For those cars, just use the cheapest dexos on sale and follow he OLM

+1 Quaker State Synthetic Blend is the cheapest at WM. You can say 'why not spend a few bucks more and get this?' But why?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

I was at an O'Reily Auto about 4 months ago when they had a big sale. They had incorrectly labeled ALL Mobil Super oil at a discount price of $15.95 per 5qt jug. When I brought a bunch up, they informed me that the price was only supposed to be for the Mobil Super conventional.

I pressed the issue, so they let me have two jugs of the synth at that price.

Right now , Advance Auto Parts flyer is showing 5 quart jug of Mobil Super Synthetic + Micro Guard filter for $ 23.99 with a $ 2 upgrade to a Wix filter .

I am looking at 5W30 , which is what the Sonic calls for .

Wally World web site shows Mobil 1 full synthetic for $ 23.88 w/o a filter .

When I bought the car , I ordered 4 of the little AC Delco paper filters that it uses . They sure look dinky . Around $ 5 each , including freight .

The car is coming up on 3,000 miles & I plan to change the oil & filter , maybe this weekend . I figure the most wear will occur , right off the bat . With the most particulate matter in the oil or filter .

After that , I am thinking every 5,000 - 6,000 miles , with one of the Mobil full synthetics .

I have always owned cars that were quite happy with good quality conventional oils . The synthetics are new to me .

Thanks for the help :)
God bless
Wyr

ExxonMobil has been manufacturing GM's AC Delco synthetic blend oil since 2010. Nothing has changed.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

The Mobil 1 Extended Performance, and cheap in 5-quart jugs at Walmart or Amazon, is the best among the dexos1-qualified oils out there. Also the Castrol Edge Extended Performance gold jugs, same possible sources, is also as good. Thats the best you can do. I've looked for a while at oil analysis and can only tell that those "long-drain" full synth oils offer more PAO in general in their basestock, and greater endurance. If you want the best that is. If you are OK with 2nd best, then any full-synthetic that mentions dexos1 on the bottle will do. If you are OK with 3rd best, then any semi-synthetic that mentions dexos1....

Which , from what I can determine , equates to either full synthetic or synthetic blend .
Yes, correct, no dexos1 qualified oil is available in a conventional oil. Wish it was. The dexos1 spec is too tough to meet for cheapo oils.

Chevy uses their own GM-brand AC-Delco semi-synthetic dexos1 oil made for them by Conoco-Phillips, like Kendall GT-1 semi-synth oil and Motorcraft semi-syn. Its just barely good enough to meet dexos1 performance requirements, still good enough though.

Your car will tell you when its time to change the oil, a light on the dash. Its great to go by that, and you can use whatever quality level oil you want, as long as it says dexos1 on it at a minimum.

Motorcraft semi synthetic made by ConocoPhillips is better than "just good enough."

I dunno about the AC Delco oil but being ExxonMobil it's gonna be a quality product. The best? No. But still better than "just good enough."

The AC Delco stuff is a yawner, worst UOA's on here of any dexos rated oil as far as the oil holding up. And I'm sure even then it is adequate.

I'd bet Trop Artic would pass Dexos if they tested it but no way is a bargain oil going to pay for licensing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back