Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just began shopping for next oil change. Saw Mobil Super - Mobil Super Syn 5W-20 5 qt for $29.99 Each. Mobil 1 - Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20 $36.99 Each The Mobil 1 Super was a new one on me. which is best? Is the super better? is it a blend? It's cheaper. Is that an introductory price? It's guaranteed for 5000 miles - whooptido! they claim the Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20 is recommended for multi valve passenger car engines. Hmm are there any single valve engines around?

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

I've always been a great fan of the Borgward range of vehicles.

I never heard of them before and had to look them up - splendid looking cars. The things you learn on BITOG.......

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Check your local Walmart... M1 is about $25/jug there.

I don't know how much now, I bought a two 0W40 jugs couple months ago for $22.xx/ea.

Oil price at Walmart can changed any time, 1 week it was $25.xx next week it can go down $22.xx.

As others have stated MSS is not the same as M1. To be frank, I am not sure why XOM still sells MSS--there is no true market for it because it is only slightly cheaper than M1 (comparing QT pricing in my area since MSS is only sold in QTs in my area) but does not match the performance of M1. They might sell more of it if they labeled it as a SynBlend and dropped the price to match that market.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
As others have stated MSS is not the same as M1. To be frank, I am not sure why XOM still sells MSS--there is no true market for it because it is only slightly cheaper than M1 (comparing QT pricing in my area since MSS is only sold in QTs in my area) but does not match the performance of M1. They might sell more of it if they labeled it as a SynBlend and dropped the price to match that market.

I agree. I think Mobil Super is okay as it replaces Mobil 5000, but Mobil Super Synthetic is not selling well because who wants to buy full synthetic he/she would go with M1.

I don't really think the problem is Mobil, but as it has turned out the only places that actually have MSS are auto parts chains so the price is ridiculous.

If MSS was at Wally's I'd bet it would be lined up directly against QSUD, and it would sell like hot cakes with the Mobil name on it.

Advance auto parts is selling MSS + a MicroGuard filter . $ 23.99 or $ 2 more for a Wix filter .

How would MSS work in small engines / lawn mowers ?

God bless
Wyr

I used the mss 5w20 in my hyundai 1.6l gdi for 6k oci. Just changed today with a custom blend of castrol and royal purple. Seems to be quieter at idle. Probably not actually.

I bought the mss 5w20 on sale for maybe $2 a quart. I'd buy it again if it were that or cheaper. But with mobil 1 being about $4 a quart in the jug. I'd get that.

Mobil 1 is the superior product. A 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 is $23.88 at my local Walmart. Buy it there. Buying oil from auto parts stores is usually a ripoff.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Advance auto parts is selling MSS + a MicroGuard filter . $ 23.99 or $ 2 more for a Wix filter .

How would MSS work in small engines / lawn mowers ?

God bless
Wyr

Great. I put MSS in my lawnmowers. Doesn't burn off as much as conventionals do.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I don't really think the problem is Mobil, but as it has turned out the only places that actually have MSS are auto parts chains so the price is ridiculous.

If MSS was at Wally's I'd bet it would be lined up directly against QSUD, and it would sell like hot cakes with the Mobil name on it.
Likely true on all counts, but I think QSUD is a better oil than MSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back