Mobil Super Synthetic Replaced by Mobil Full Synthetic at Dollar General

Hello, so i'm glad i found this site and joined it, because i study oil a lot. I was even at Oil city Pa (titusville) where the first oil well was drilled (Drake well) hit at 69 feet. its now a museum but still pumps oil and you can buy little bottles of it right there or from the website. Yes little bottles of unrefined sweet smelling crude. I make cleaning products for a living ( family business my father passed on to me). So I study a lot of chemicals (30 yrs). But I also like oil and vehicles. So I seen this Mobil oil in question here at Autozone actually. Its not a knock off version made for dollar stores and summit racing.com sells it also. Its not a cheap knock off made for dollar stores and it is in fact a true Mobil product. Its on Mobil's very own website along with all the other styles of synthetic oils it offers. It is the very same synthetic as the current versions but it will or might break down at around 7500 miles as to the the 10,000 to 15,000 break down before time to change. That is why on the label it says 1.5 times longer than conventional oil rather than twice the length. This is for those of you who change your oil every 5000 to about 7000 miles, instead of leaving it in your car for 10,000 miles. Same quality, just sooner than later service intervals. Thats why its even cheaper. It just has a time period. It still will protect at higher and lower temperatures like all the top oils in their line of oil. So if you like changing your oil a lot, then this is perfect because you will be saving money in the process. Most people like to think negative at first before doing the work to find out about something new. ( Thats how us americans are right? The label does look cool though, like a retro older Mobil oil, but its a new current product. And by the way I don't buy any oils that have Dexos on the label. I don't trust anything that GM creates or endorses. Look what happened with Dex cool coolant. Plasticer as a metal protectant, but it ate up or softened the plastic intake gaskets on they're very own GM vehicles. So would I use an oil that GM concocted? Hell no. Talk to ya later, keep it lubed!

*** UPDDATE *** I had emailed Mobil Oil as to why the Mobil Super Synthetic was not Dexos 1 approved:

May 7th 2020 Mobil response:

I'm not clear, yet, on why this does not carry a Dexos1 approval, but it's on our agenda for a conference call on Monday. You probably won't be the only customer with this question, and I want to be sure we get the right answer. As long as it does not carry a GM license, however, I can not recommend it in any 2011 or newer GM vehicle.

May 11th 2020 Mobil response:

Happy Monday! We just wrapped up our call and I've got some good news. Mobil Full Synthetic in 0W-20 and 5W-30 will be receiving GM Dexos1 approvals. With the current COVID-19 situation, approvals are slow coming as the testing labs are not considered "essential."

So it appears Dexos 1 approval it is just delayed due to the backlog at testing/certification labs. I have some quarts that do not have the approval, but I've have no issue using in a late model GM now that I know what's going on.

[Linked Image from dollargeneral.com]

[Linked Image from dollargeneral.com]

I wouldn't use any oil with GM's Dexos. I wouldn't trust anything that GM creates or endorses. Look what happened with the DEX Cool anti freeze/coolant they concocted!

I wouldn't use any oil with GM's Dexos. I wouldn't trust anything that GM creates or endorses. Look what happened with the DEX Cool anti freeze/coolant they concocted!

Dexcool wasn’t the problem. AND; nothing wrong with a DEXOS certified oil. Get your facts straight please

Lanc1, lookup dexos and what tests are required to pass before obtaining that approval. Then visit Lubrizol's performance tool and compare dexos to API.

What guarantee is there that it is even a Mobil product?

There are 4,700 Walmart stores in the United States and 16,200 Dollar General stores. I think it’s a pretty good bet that the Mobil oil on the shelves is made by Mobil.

Nothing but upper crust cheapskates here on Bob. You know, the Walmart shoppers. None of this dollar store shopping.

Lanc1, lookup dexos and what tests are required to pass before obtaining that approval. Then visit Lubrizol's performance tool and compare dexos to API.

I like that tool! Never saw it before, but it definitely shows you how the difference between certifications.

L8R,
Matt

It's simply the SP reformulation and new branding of Mobil Synthetic.It coincides with the new GF-6 & SP Formulation. Can't say whether they will seek D1G2 for this especially with G3 right around the corner. They may continue to provide MSS until G3 is available.

As to DG I fail to see the issue with a company that chooses to serve undeserved Rural and Urban Communities.
They are even starting to open Super DG with fuel, drug store and produce.
DG is eating WalMarts lunch in rural America.

Back