Mobil Super Synthetic Replaced by Mobil Full Synthetic at Dollar General

Originally Posted by eljefino
I think the new label is deliberately cheesy and generic looking, on purpose, so they don't steal sales from Mobil 1.

I was the first to post pics of this, it's at Autozone at even worse prices. I actually like the stripped-down, old school look...

We have Family Dollar here, but I never go in. Worse deals than Walmart, and less selection, meaning less of a guarantee I can go in and find what I need.

As someone else said, it's for poor people without cars, in terrible towns.

We have two Family Dollars within 3 miles of each other where the per capita income is much higher than the national mean (it make no sense to me but I guess they cater to those who don't feel like going out to Walmart or another big box store.) So they're everywhere, and yes there is one in the 'hood not too far from where I live. Rents and house prices are skyrocketing there too with the gentrification...

I do go to Family Dollar around the corner sometimes just to grab small stuff quickly, but get annoyed the same bar of Irish Spring is often smaller than at Target.

In any case, the oil will be a fine deal if they put it on BOGO which they occasionally do...

Originally Posted by bbhero
You realize who runs those inner cities right ??

Yeah... Between them world champions and others in outside sectors and others farther up the chain.... Is exactly what the results you get. .

I dunno? The same people that run the rural poor capitals in Appalachia?

Dollar Stores fill a niche, how well they do that is debatable.
Also there's no shortage of corruption and poorly run cities anywhere on earth at any time in history.

Ahh no...

Look at a result map... Been certain ways for a long, long time.

Add to that... Others inside that sector and others outside of those places have not been helpful either. .

Those poor policies date back a very long time has well.

*** UPDDATE *** I had emailed Mobil Oil as to why the Mobil Super Synthetic was not Dexos 1 approved:

May 7th 2020 Mobil response:

I'm not clear, yet, on why this does not carry a Dexos1 approval, but it's on our agenda for a conference call on Monday. You probably won't be the only customer with this question, and I want to be sure we get the right answer. As long as it does not carry a GM license, however, I can not recommend it in any 2011 or newer GM vehicle.

May 11th 2020 Mobil response:

Happy Monday! We just wrapped up our call and I've got some good news. Mobil Full Synthetic in 0W-20 and 5W-30 will be receiving GM Dexos1 approvals. With the current COVID-19 situation, approvals are slow coming as the testing labs are not considered "essential."

So it appears Dexos 1 approval it is just delayed due to the backlog at testing/certification labs. I have some quarts that do not have the approval, but I've have no issue using in a late model GM now that I know what's going on.

[Linked Image from dollargeneral.com]

[Linked Image from dollargeneral.com]

Not sure why they produce this unless it's also a rebadged oil or something odd.
Who knows. Maybe since P66 got a contract they are waiting to get fresh Dexos attached to a fresh new contract.
That's all I think SS was … AC Delco feedstock …

I agree 4wd....

Both oils the same oil...

At 5.95 a qt everyday price it too high.... Needs to be $4.95 or even less... $4.29 it would sell...

Originally Posted by 4WD
Not sure why they produce this unless it's also a rebadged oil or something odd.
Who knows. Maybe since P66 got a contract they are waiting to get fresh Dexos attached to a fresh new contract.
That's all I think SS was … AC Delco feedstock …

Phillips has had the GM contract for years. Kind of late for this rebranding.

Originally Posted by 4WD
It's not a single source contract

And yet what does this have to do with your comment? Because for AC Delco XOM is not listed anywhere.

As an actual formulator and bottle filler … it has to remain in production to bid in a timely manner … GM can and have had up three contracts active at once. Especially across the product lines.

Originally Posted by 4WD
As an actual formulator and bottle filler … it has to remain in production to bid in a timely manner … GM can and have had up three contracts active at once. Especially across the product lines.

And XOM has not had a contract with GM for PCMO's and hasn't for years.

They supply Mobil 1 … is that not a PVL ? … They received a 2018 GM supplier of the year award …
and as you know have had GM contracts of various lubes for 30 years like having also having Delvac now. They supplied the 0w20 and 5w30 ACD for several years … in fact it's still for sale all over the internet so "many years" ain't that many.

And again, for them to bid for a future contract … they have to have an actual (cheap) product …

Originally Posted by 4WD
They supply Mobil 1 … is that not a PVL ? … They received a 2018 GM supplier of the year award …
and as you know have had GM contracts of various lubes for 30 years like having also having Delvac now. They supplied the 0w20 and 5w30 ACD for several years … in fact it's still for sale all over the internet so "many years" ain't that many.

And again, for them to bid for a future contract … they have to have an actual (cheap) product …

The last couple of bids while still having a cheap line XOM was not awarded the AC Delco bid.

Yeah … it was MSS before … I know the dates … 7/10 years of the last decade … still have some overseas

Funny because I am not poor, I own 3 cars, and do not live in a terrible town (its actually on the rise) and I was in DG (dollar general) today shopping. Sounds like someone is a little pretentious.
Originally Posted by eljefino
I think the new label is deliberately cheesy and generic looking, on purpose, so they don't steal sales from Mobil 1.

We have Family Dollar here, but I never go in. Worse deals than Walmart, and less selection, meaning less of a guarantee I can go in and find what I need.

As someone else said, it's for poor people without cars, in terrible towns.

Back