Mobil 1 0w40 to become factory fill on Corvettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Looks like it says for max track performance use 15w50. So the 0w40 is for minimum to medium track performance.

Good point.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Looks like it says for max track performance use 15w50. So the 0w40 is for minimum to medium track performance.
Good point.
I see it now from Patman's link. "Regarding the ZR1 and the LT5 engine, the small print on this label shows that Chevrolet recommends using Mobil 1’s 15W-50 for maximum track performance, so it does appear that ZR1 owners who plan on tracking their Corvettes will still want to use the 15W-50 for track dates and then switch to the 0W-40 for street use."

I actually could see GM-Chevy making a distinction between between severity of racing.
Most don't do serious competitive racing in a Corvette, maybe a lap or two, then slow or stop to cool down and look at times.
Then there is hard core racing which might overheat the oil too much, needing 15w50.
They single out the LT5 engine here though, so it is what it is.

What does your owner's manual specifically say? Can you scan and post up that particular section of the manual?

Originally Posted By: Patman
Now I'm more confused than ever, since my owner's manual doesn't mention dexos2 at all (only dexos1), and if you go onto the dexos site they say that dexos1 is for gasoline engines and dexos2 is for diesel engines.
Dex 2 has to be for the new diesel powered Vette
13.gif

And really, the main concern with using mid/low SAPS oils with high sulfur gasoline is that you need to be mindful of OCI. As long as you are not doing very long OCI, there is no issue. Is it possible GM has reprogrammed the OLM in your Vette to account for this?

I know they reprogrammed the OLM in 2014 to add the time factor to it, so based on that alone, most people will never see oil changes beyond 5k. A quick survey this morning told me that those that do drive theirs a lot might see the OLM reach zero by about 5-7k, but not much more than this. The last oil change in my 2005 Corvette, the OLM was at 14% with 10,106 miles on the oil (and 2 years of time, since there was no one year limit like there is now)

A quick survey this morning told me that those that do drive theirs a lot might see the OLM reach zero by about 5-7k, but not much more than this.

IMO, this kind of OCI should not be a problem for mid/low SAPS oil, even when using non-ULS gas, and given that you have a 10 quart oil sump.

I'm also questioning the reasoning behind this change from GM's perspective. Why go to all this trouble just for a very small portion of owners that actually track their cars seriously enough that they were swapping back and forth from 15w50 to 5w30? And once it's available in Chevy dealership service departments, will it be the only viscosity they use or will they still offer 5w30?

I just wonder if they've done a lot of testing with this new 0w40 for regular street driving and possibly found it was a better choice over 5w30?

I'm not going to track my car and won't even drive it that hard on a regular basis, but I want to run the right Mobil 1 oil that will give me the best chance at reaching 250,000 miles and beyond.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
The current 0W-40 has way more calcium than most M1's. I'll bet the new one won't have that.

I was wondering why the current walmart A3/B4 M1 0w40 isn't fine just as is.
Instead, GM is going to the dexos2 0w40 with some changes.
Could it be LSPI worries? Assuming the current A3/B4 M1 0w40 has too much Ca and thats why it isn't being used in the new Vettes.

That's disappointing, I had figured this 0w40 might have had a good amount of PAO in it, like the European Formula.

From what I recall, the current M1 0w-40 FS Euro Formula doesn't have much PAO in it either. It hasn't had it in a while.

But just because it's not primarily PAO doesn't mean it's bad oil. It still takes a pretty darn good product to meet all these stringent mfg specs, which in case of M1 0w-40 ESP includes BMW LL04, MB 229.51, and of course, dexos2. With TBN of 7.8 (UOA actually shows 8.3), it still has a fairly strong add pack. Plus, some of these newer ashless additives that are being used in mid/low SAPS oils don't even show up on a UOA. Plus, it has a Noack of 8.7%, which is nothing to sneeze at. By comparison, the 0w-40 stuff that Pennzoil came up with for SRT engines has Noack of about 13%.

Now I'm more confused than ever, since my owner's manual doesn't mention dexos2 at all (only dexos1), and if you go onto the dexos site they say that dexos1 is for gasoline engines and dexos2 is for diesel engines.

Like I keep saying...they ONLY say that in the US...everywhere else in the world, it's both.

Here's my previous link to the GM service fill specification.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
http://standards.globalspec.com/std/10059385/gmw16177
Quote:
Standard: GMW16177
ENGINE OIL, GLOBAL SERVICE-FILL DIESEL ENGINE AND REGIONAL SERVICE- FILL SPARK-IGNITED ENGINE SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, SAE 0W-40, SAE 5W-40

So given the recent revision of Dexos1, if the 0W40 IS a Dexos 1, I'll stand naked in Bracey's to quote the local vernacular.

Per the link, which I'm hoping that you clicked on...

Quote:
Material Description. This specification describes service-fill engine oil for passenger cars and light-duty trucks with diesel-fueled engines and spark-ignited engines. The material is SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, SAE 0W- 40, or SAE 5W-40 global GM engine oil. Engine oils meeting this specification may be identified as dexos2 in the marketplace.

Symbols. Not applicable.

Applicability. Materials meeting this specification are intended to be used as service-fill engine oil for passenger cars and light-duty trucks with diesel-fueled engines. Materials meeting this specification may also be used in some regions as service-fill engine oil for passenger cars and light-duty trucks with spark-ignited internal combustion engines

It's only the US where they jam the Dexos 1 petrol, Dexos 2 diesel down your (CAFE) throats.

Ausie car manuals for the small displacement turbo gassers specify Dexos 2.

and if you go onto the dexos site they say that dexos1 is for gasoline engines and dexos2 is for diesel engines.

That's not exactly the case. dexos2 is basically mid/low SAPS oil. In other parts of the world that use ultra low sulfur gasoline, GM has been allowing the use of dexos2 in gasoline engines for quite some time now. They were not allowing it in North America because our gasoline was not ultra low sulfur, but now things are changing. Not sure about Canada, but US is in the process of shifting to ULS gasoline. Some states already are.

http://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton/media/PdfFiles/Specification_Handbook.pdf

Page 110...there are clearly some inconsistencies, and it's the pre Rev 2 Dexos 1 specs.

Interesting that the cold weather performance limit is WAY lower than that allowed bu J300, like they are almost splitting a "W" grade there, or ensuring that they stay in grade the whole interval.

Page 110...there are clearly some inconsistencies, and it's the pre Rev 2 Dexos 1 specs.

What inconsistencies, specifically? I just see that they named dexos1 column "Gasoline Engines" and dexos2 column "Diesel engines", which as you and I noted earlier isn't really the case in some parts of the world.

BTW, this Excel includes all the latest dexos requirements (dexos1 gen 2 and dexos2):
http://www.centerforqa.com/media/D1 Candidate Data Package rev20170910.xls

Like I keep saying...they ONLY say that in the US...everywhere else in the world, it's both.

Here's my previous link to the GM service fill specification.

http://standards.globalspec.com/std/10059385/gmw16177
Quote:
Standard: GMW16177
ENGINE OIL, GLOBAL SERVICE-FILL DIESEL ENGINE AND REGIONAL SERVICE- FILL SPARK-IGNITED ENGINE SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, SAE 0W-40, SAE 5W-40

So given the recent revision of Dexos1, if the 0W40 IS a Dexos 1, I'll stand naked in Bracey's to quote the local vernacular.

Per the link, which I'm hoping that you clicked on...

Quote:
Material Description. This specification describes service-fill engine oil for passenger cars and light-duty trucks with diesel-fueled engines and spark-ignited engines. The material is SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, SAE 0W- 40, or SAE 5W-40 global GM engine oil. Engine oils meeting this specification may be identified as dexos2 in the marketplace.

Symbols. Not applicable.

Applicability. Materials meeting this specification are intended to be used as service-fill engine oil for passenger cars and light-duty trucks with diesel-fueled engines. Materials meeting this specification may also be used in some regions as service-fill engine oil for passenger cars and light-duty trucks with spark-ignited internal combustion engines

It's only the US where they jam the Dexos 1 petrol, Dexos 2 diesel down your (CAFE) throats.

Ausie car manuals for the small displacement turbo gassers specify Dexos 2.

Are you not considering that Dexos 1 licensed products are energy conserving formulations where Dexos 2 is not?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flying_A
Are you not considering that Dexos 1 licensed products are energy conserving formulations where Dexos 2 is not?

Yes, I am considering that exactly...but it's easier in the US to say Gas/Diesel, and keep people on the CAFE side of the equation than to say that Dexos 2 is gasoline engine oil (like they do for the same engines in Oz)

I've seen a few independent garages in Australia that only service GM cars & utes (pick-up) with Dexos2 oil. This limits their stock as you can use Dexos2 for a Dexos1 engine, but not the otherway around.

They will happily do you a log-book service, and from everything I've seen or heard, GM-Australia are fine with it. Infact GM-Australia say to use a Dexos2 oil in the little 1.4 iTi turbo Cruze (gas / petrol) engine, as it is so hard on oil. When I enquired about using Dexos1 (as they do in North America) I was told only Dexos2 in Australia or it will void your Australian warranty. Their actual words were something like: Dexos2 oil is required to meet the warranty conditions (in Australia).

Guys: This is not that complicated. At the time that the 2014-2018 Corvettes came out, the factory fill and approved oil was M1 5W30 (for street use) and M1 15W50 for track. Now that the 2019's are out, GM has made a decision to use the new 0W40 in ALL C7 Corvettes for both street and track use. If you own a pre-2019 Corvette, and use it only on the street, it should be fine to use whatever you were using before, as well as switching to the 0W40. There are just updates to the current specifications on preferred oil.

Oddly enough, GM has apparently recommended dexos2 for track use for some of these vehicles - I can't remember whether it was Vettes or Camaros and what years that showed up in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back